Comcast loyalty rep told me that "lower prices and high speeds" coming 1/1/2020

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by heyadam, Nov 19, 2019.

1. heyadam

heyadam New Member

Apr 25, 2019
    After a lengthy (but unproductive) call with a loyalty rep at Comcast, she told me that they were going into training this week to find out about new lower priced and higher speed Internet packages coming 1/1/2020. If anyone finds out more info, please add it to the thread here. Thanks.

jtdon99 likes this.
  2. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    And what does this have to do with Tivo?

slowbiscuit, cwerdna and WVZR1 like this.
  3. heyadam

heyadam New Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Hmm...hi @KevTech, @cwerdna and @WVZR1 .

The reason I posted this here is that many TiVo customers use Comcast for their TV and Internet. Also, many TiVo customers use the built-in streaming apps. So, I wanted to pool our knowledge together to help those who perhaps want to make improvements to their service in the future so our TiVo's continue to operate well and maybe better.

Sorry if it caused any of you dissonance.

MScottC, dlfl, mschnebly and 2 others like this.
  4. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Wow, lower prices and better service from Comcast coming next year? If I didn't know any better I'd say that it was too good to be true, but I'm sure those loyalty reps would never lie just to keep people maintaining their service for a few more months with future promises that will never come to fruition.

TishTash likes this.
  5. heyadam

heyadam New Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Hah! I hear you. That is why I said it was "unproductive" meaning she had nothing concrete and probably nothing to make me stay.

I fall into the same camp: believe it when I see it.

6. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    If you really are wanting this info, it would help if you posted your location (ie: city/state), as Comcast offerings DO vary between differing systems/regions.
    As far as her telling you re: higher internet speeds, many (but NOT all) ares around the country recently got increased speeds; mine went from 250 to 300down. Not knowing your area, perhaps you guys haven't been blessed with these new increases yet... ;)
    This is actually a more useful site to query & gather this type of info:
    Comcast XFINITY forum | DSLReports, ISP Information

7. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    They'll just tack on more fees so you'll end up paying the same

8. heyadam

heyadam New Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Great point. Thanks.

9. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    while it sounds great, the devil is always in the details, so it would probably be best to wait and read the fine print and qualifiers before getting any hopes up.

dlfl and cwerdna like this.
  10. Slumpert

Slumpert Member

Oct 18, 2019
    One advantage of having plain Jane TVs running 1080i, my 15mbs Xfinity internet starter speed gives me two streaming links at once without pausing. How fast can you exceed the 1TB data cap at that 300mbs speed lol.

heyadam likes this.
  11. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    I do not know what mbs is.

I do know that my speed is 500 Mbps down and I stream Netflix in 4k daily for hours at a time without ever going over the 1TB cap.

12. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I got higher speeds a while back, but lower prices have never happened, and I can't imagine they ever will.

13. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Another one of those anal people who can't understand unless someone 'spains it to them? :rolleyes:

14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I guess "It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is." :D

mschnebly likes this.
  15. Slumpert

Slumpert Member

Oct 18, 2019
    I was saying, my “max” speed is 15Mbps and my average usage is seemingly in the 500GB range a month.
    If I was running 4K streams and 100Mbps+ service , I would be exceeding the data cap.

At 500Mbps a TB worth of data could be downloaded in just over 4hours.

B6E80146-78EA-4680-86EC-A72EFC598E05.png

16. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Perhaps you do not understand.

There is not any mbs there is Mbps or MBps but no mbs.

No where in tech will anybody say mbs when talking about transfer speed as it does not exist.

There is mb/s or MB/s so perhaps the person forgot the / when typing mbs.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  17. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    "I did not have sexual relations with that woman". I guess it depends on the meaning of BJ. :p

mschnebly and TeamPace like this.
  18. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    But fortunately 4K streaming doesn't require anything like 500 Mbps. If we assume 40 Mbps, which I think is a reasonable value, you can stream 55.55 hours of video within a 1TB limit. That would be almost 2 hrs/day.

19. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    I understand completely. I also knew what was meant by mbs in that post too. I just don't expect everyone to be an engineer when on a forum.

JoeKustra likes this.
  20. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    As has been pointed out, Comcast's rates vary across their national network, so it would be helpful if you listed your location (city and zip code).

With that caveat, I would have to say that the information you were given is highly suspect. Perhaps there will be some new special package deals (beyond the "Always On Discounts" as shown below) debuting next year; however, in fact I have already been given advance word of rate increases for the regular HSI service due to go into effect on 1 Jan 2020. Each of the speed tiers will go up by $3.00, and the gateway rental fee will increase from $13.00 to $14.00 (plus tax). They are also upping the Broadcast TV fee from $10.00 to $14.95 in at least some areas.

Simple Easy.jpeg

Here are the latest speed increases which were put into effect this year in most of the Comcast regions:

Comcast HSI Speed Tiers.png

Note that Comcast typically overprovisions by 20% (except for Gigabit and the lowest tiers under Performance) so you can multiply the given speeds by 1.2 to show the connection speed you should routinely expect to attain.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019