Comcast is the best! And then I woke up...

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by paully65, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Dec 4, 2007 #1 of 12
    paully65

paully65 Member

Feb 20, 2002
    DC

Advertisements

I bought an S3 and called Comcast (the only provider for cable) to install cable cards and set up digital cable. My appointment was 8-11AM. At 11, I called and they said the techs truck broke down and that he could not make any of the appointments. Thanks for calling me and letting me know that, Comcast. They said another tech would be out in 30 minutes. Well, what do you know? He showed up 30 minutes later, but was...drum roll please...a subcontractor who said that he does not install cable cards. After getting Tivo on the phone, they set up a three way call with Comcast and they said an "in house" tech would be coming out today to install the cards and setup the cable. In the meantime, I called Comcast corporate office and told them the very same reason I left CC 12 tyears ago was actually happening today, poor everything. They said they would give the case to a director. What is a CC director? A gopher who gets paid more money:) Just kidding. So he calls me and ensures me that the best in house tech will be coming to install my cable. Well, you know what happens, right? He just called me and said that the "best in house tech" just called him and said he did not have any cable cards on the truck. 10 hours later and no go. Just call me Rip Van Winkle. I thought I woke up 12 years later, but apparently I am still asleep.

2. Dec 4, 2007 #2 of 12
    CosmoGeek

CosmoGeek Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Antarctica
    Don't worry, tomorrow you'll think it is Groundhog's day, and the day after, and the day after, and the day after, and ... You're getting off to a good start.

3. Dec 5, 2007 #3 of 12
    EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    The best part about the "best guy coming" will be when he tries to install cable cards in your Playstation 3. That is what my comcast tech did. Feel free to pay comcast to let you walk their tech through a proper install, which is what I also had to do.

4. Dec 5, 2007 #4 of 12
    gear

gear New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    "the only provider of cable"
    Competition makes all the difference in a free enterprise system.

5. Dec 5, 2007 #5 of 12
    kinsekd

kinsekd New Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

I feel your pain. My service tech installed the coax cable to the back of my PS Audio surge protector. Oohh. So that's why I wasn't getting any signal. Once I figured that out, everything worked out fine.

I will have to say that picture quality, especially in hi def, over the S3 is miles ahead of what I was used to getting from cable 5 years ago. So far so good.

6. Dec 5, 2007 #6 of 12
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    :D:D:D

7. Dec 5, 2007 #7 of 12
    MikeyB

MikeyB Distracted Member

Jan 7, 2005
    VA
    Thank God for FiOS.

8. Dec 5, 2007 #8 of 12
    brnscofrnld

brnscofrnld where is this place?

Mar 29, 2005
    NW. DC.
    this is one reason why I dread the day I decide to arrange for Comcast to come out and do the CC install into my TivoHD.

9. Dec 5, 2007 #9 of 12
    prisk

prisk Member

Nov 19, 2006
    I had a similar experience with Comcast. They sent out a tech who knew nothing about cablecards, much less a Series 3. And this, after I had insisted that they note my account to send a tech who knew how to install cable cards and bring a spare or two. The guy shows up with exactly 2 cards (1 plus a spare). Glad he at least thought of that. I installed the cable cards (no way I was going to let hi touch the TiVo), while he wrestled with people on the phone. I insisted he stay there till the entire guided setup was complete (yeah, that took a while and was probably not very fair, but all's fair in love and war, right?). After evertyhig was workig (much to my surprise), I allowed him to leave.

Next day, I had my wife call and complain to Comcast that the tech did not know whathe was doing, that I had to do the install, etc. etc.... They refunded the $45 fee for the truck roll.

10. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    The "truck broke down" line is my favorite. I swear, if you believe them when they say that, then cable companies have the worst maintained vehicles ever. Because their trucks break down DAILY.

You know, I can deal with stuff going wrong... but I hate being lied to. And everytime they say a "truck broke down" they are lying to you.

11. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    My Comcast tech wasn't the most experienced and had never seen a TiVo before, but by simply following the instructions that TiVo provided, I was up and going within an hour.

You don't need experience - you simply need somebody who's friendly and willing to follow the instructions. Mine showed up with the right parts at the right time and on a Sunday. My biggest problem was an old AVcast filter that filtered out the HD channel range that I wasn't using before so that I could rebroadcast the signal to other TVs. Once I took that out - and I certainly won't fault the tech for not thinking of that! - I was fine.

12. gwar9999

gwar9999 New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Cool, you can watch tv on your PS3 so I guess that means you can probably play Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted on your TiVo.