Comcast is Reportedly Working On a Streaming Player

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mschnebly, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Nov 8, 2018 #1 of 10
    mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
  2. Nov 8, 2018 #2 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This passage ...

So the content aggregators as well as digital brands are really interested in getting the content exposed to mainstream TV viewers and enabling the easy access without having to be discovered through a separate application or a separate streaming device.
    However, Roku’s proven the model and advertising has been their biggest business several years running.​

... reminded me of an article on Roku that I read the other day, indicating that Roku is looking to expand their The Roku Channel beyond just an app. See here.

3. Nov 8, 2018 #3 of 10
    mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Roku has a big ad on it's home page but it doesn't really intrude or get in the way. I wonder how much more intrusive all these ads are going to become? It's hard to find a web site now that isn't riddled with ads everywhere. I hope streamers and TiVo don't take it that far.

"Roku's platform revenue reached $90.3 million last quarter, growing 96 percent year over year. Its average revenue per user (ARPU) reached $16.60. EMarketer projects Roku will generate $293 million in ad revenue in 2018, noting money floating to over-the-top (OTT) streaming video companies is going to continue to rise as TV ad spending declines."

4. Nov 8, 2018 #4 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, the pressure is certainly on. Roku’s stock got dinged this morning for falling short of analyst expectations on per user revenue ... which is linked to ad revenues.

5. Nov 8, 2018 #5 of 10
    Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo Active Member

Dec 18, 2002
    I don't think there's much user tolerance for traditional display ads on streamers. Most of the money is in personalized content discovery, which is both unobtrusive and kinda useful

mschnebly likes this.
  6. Nov 8, 2018 #6 of 10
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Here are more details:
    Comcast Vetting Video Streaming Box for Broadband-Only Subs | Light Reading

About a year ago, Comcast introduced their Xfinity Instant TV service, which is skinny-bundle managed IPTV with cloud DVR delivered through the Xfinity Stream app to Roku players (with additional device platforms to eventually be supported). This package is aimed at broadband-only cord-cutters/cord-nevers, those who don't want traditional cable TV service on Comcast's flagship X1 platform. I surmised when this Instant TV service came out that Comcast envisioned it as being their new "low-end" TV service, eventually replacing existing lower-end TV service tied to non-X1 (QAM-only) hardware. I also said that if Comcast was to get serious about using Instant TV (managed IPTV) to replace QAM-only TV that uses legacy STBs, then they'd need to roll out their own inexpensive STB (since some customers will always expect first-party hardware from their cable company). The new STB would integrate Comcast's own managed IPTV alongside those specific OTT apps that Comcast blesses -- basically, those services that they've already decided to allow on X1: Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video, etc. (Competing streaming cable service apps like DirecTV Now, YouTube TV, PS Vue, etc. would of course not be allowed on Comcast's own STB.)

So basically, I think that's what this new streaming player is. It's a lightweight (relatively inexpensive) STB (no tuners, no hard drive) that will integrate Comcast's own managed IPTV content along with popular OTT apps, although subscribing to Comcast's IPTV package is optional. You could just use it for OTT streaming, as well as managing X1 smart home devices. The value in giving these boxes to broadband-only subs is that you keep them in the Comcast X1 ecosystem, you make it less likely for them to subscribe to a competing OTT cable service (e.g. DirecTV Now), and you make it more likely for them to purchase your own video services (e.g. Xfinity Instant TV and/or pay-per-view).

I wonder about the pricing. Will all broadband subs get one for free? Will they be sold outright (at prices competitive to Roku and Fire TV)? Will they be rented? Hard to see broadband-only subs ever wanting to rent a STB from Comcast in lieu of their own device. That said, Comcast did recently say that they want to expand the X1 platform to include the top 100 TV-connected apps.

mschnebly and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  7. Nov 9, 2018 #7 of 10
    d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    I wouldn’t be surprised if they offered the streamer box free up front and for “rent” for $10-$12 a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mschnebly likes this.
  8. Nov 9, 2018 #8 of 10
    NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    the scariest five words for existing comcast customers. :eek:

Scooby Doo and d_anders like this.
  9. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    [​IMG]

NorthAlabama likes this.
  10. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Of course they have to re-invent the wheel just like they did with X1. They could have licensed TiVo software, but no, they made a crappy knock-off of it. They could have licensed router and Wi-Fi technology from Eero or AirTies, but no they had to go invest in Plume and make a weird proprietary version of it to go with their proprietary xFi. They could just sell Rokus wtih their app and a Comcast sticker on them like many MSOs around the world do, but no, they have to re-invent the wheel there too. Seems like a lot of wasted effort re-inventing the wheel.

EDIT: Re-inventing the wheel and doing a crappy job of it.

Scooby Doo likes this.