Comcast in Chicago-Using SDV Not Providing Adapters

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by A-1, Dec 15, 2008.

1. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago

Advertisements

For over a month now here in Chicago we have been getting SDV HD channels (i.e. G4HD) and so far no letter-- nothing about providing SDV Tuning Adapters.

When I called Comcast and spoke with their customer support and they had no idea what SDV was, had no knowledge of The Adpters and treated me like I was some nut job who was making this all up.

So please S3 and Tivo HD Users in Chicago Call Comcast and get them aware of this problem so we can get our "FREE" SDV Adapters already.

2. cableguy763

cableguy763 New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Austin
    How do you know Chicago is using SDV?

3. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago
    They have added many new HD Channels and my S3 tivo can not tune to them only shows a blank screen. If i tune to them with Comcast provided box they come in fine. Please, correct me if I am wrong but that is the typical symptom of SDV without the adapter.

4. cableguy763

cableguy763 New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Austin
    It's also a symptom of your account not balanced correctly. Correct me if I'm wrong but Chicago is all digital. They don't even need sdv yet.

5. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago

Advertisements

What do you mean by account not balance correctly?

6. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Sounds more like a problem with your cablecards not being authorized to receive this channel and not SDV. Need to get a new "hit".

7. cableguy763

cableguy763 New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Austin
    Those channels may not be authorized on your cablecards.

8. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago
    So, all I need to do is contact Comcast and have them reauthorize my cards?

9. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Not exactly. There is more to it than that. Praying that they do their job right for example.

10. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago

Oh go lord..that sound scary and not worth the 6 or so channels. Comcast was a nightmare to setup these cards in the first place. took them 3 weeks to get it right and like 4 different sets of cable cards.

11. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Sorry for my poor attempt at humor. The vast majority of these cases are resolved with one phone call. Give it a try.

12. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago
    I put in a call at comcast they are going to have someone in the "Cable card" support group call me back as they are "swamped" at the moment.

13. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Probably because they farked up everyone elses account just like yours :p

14. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    It also could be that the CableCard channel mappings are missing those channels. For an authorization problem in Tivo diagnostics page you will see the channel is tuned to a frequency but just can decrypt the channel. For a missing channel map the diagnostics will not show a tuned frequency for that channel - that's one way to distinguish between not authorized and not channel mapped.

15. cableguy763

cableguy763 New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Austin
    If it's a missing channel map the cards wont even be able to tune to that channel.

16. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    That's right, and the Tivo diagnostics show as much, however you can still sit on that channel in foreground tuner and the screen will be black. Similarly, if I tune to channels I don't subscribe to the Tivo will tune to them and the screen again will be black.
    So when someone says "it doesn't tune" the symptoms of above 2 cases are very similar so it could be either one is the problem. So, if you want to be sure, you have to check Tivo diagnostics to see if it's in tuned state or not.