Comcast History Channel recording stutter

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tommeboy, Nov 20, 2019.

1. tommeboy

tommeboy New Member

Nov 20, 2019
    Noticing on all my Comcast - History Channel recordings when I play back the video has a stutter or jitter especially when panning? This seems to only be happening on the History Channel and on recorded shows not LIVE. I called TIVO support and they believed it was because my signal strength was too strong 100% and mentioned adding an Attenuator. I purchased off Amazon and it did lower my signal strength to 93% .. but after recording shows again this week I am seeing the same stuttering/jitter.

I have also rebooted the system several times .. no change
    and tried changing the video from 1080i to 1080p and even 720p .. no changes.
    I am considering replacing the hard drive .. but just odd it's only this one channel

Thought I'd post here in case someone has another idea ?

2. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    My idea is Comcast stinks! When I stream it watch the occasional Blu Ray my Samsung 4k is impressive. When I go to my cable TV which is Xfinity I can see the picture jittering and juddering. I wouldn't use the word stutter but still the issue is Comcast giving you the crappiest picture they can and still call it HD. It is truly a shame that we have these wonderful displays and our main source of entertainment is barely watchable.

3. tommeboy

tommeboy New Member

Nov 20, 2019
    matt .. no doubt
    My 4k OLED TV looks awesome on everything but COMCAST
    But what is odd is it is ONLY this one channel HISTORY that records and plays back with an annoying stutter ?
    I just ordered a NEW HDD and may replace just to see if this clears up

4. 53richart

53richart New Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Acworth, GA
    In your audio settings, does it have an option to select Dolby or PCM? If so, have you tried switching to see if it makes a difference?

5. tommeboy

tommeboy New Member

Nov 20, 2019
    My audio was set to Dolby .. I tried switching to PCM and replayed the jittery video .. same effect (at least on prior recorded shows)
    I can leave as PCM and try NEW recordings .. but not sure this will have any impact ? seems to have none so far

6. tommeboy

tommeboy New Member

Nov 20, 2019
    On my Roamio
    No change whether I had set to Dolby or PCM :(
    I also tried replacing the HDD with a NEW HDD .. no change (still stuttering)

So then I decided maybe it was my Roamio ? and maybe a 4K BOLT would take care of ?
    So I got a 4K BOLT and tried .. and although the 4K playback seems better .. the stuttering was still there :(

So the last attempt to resolve .. replace the HDD in the BOLT with an SSD which I just did tonight .
    Playback seems a little better but the stutter is not gone :( .. but it does seem a little better :)

So at this point I believe I may have exhausted all my options and not really sure I've solved this
    I may just have to accept the stutter on History channel

7. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Maybe an attenuator would help. My signal strength is 100 and signal to noise is 42db. Both are too high according to the book.

8. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    A signal strength of 100 is not good, since 100 might mean 105, 110, 120...who knows.

My signal is too hot and I run an attenuator. I've had to make adjustments every so often as the signal coming in to my home changes. I checked a few days ago...I pre-load the tuners with our most-watched channels...all six were running between 95 and 98%.

9. tommeboy

tommeboy New Member

Nov 20, 2019
    Thx Delta .. yes I did see 100% using my Roamio and I did try using an attenuator to cool down to 97% .. but no changes ?
    On my BOLT .. this signal is down to 93% for some reason .. and still seeing the stuttering (just not as bad as before)

10. tommeboy

tommeboy New Member

Nov 20, 2019
    Since it's only happening on one channel and I have swapped out TIVOs and HDDs now with no change ..
    All I can think of it's a COMCAST/cable card issue.
    Although when I paired my comcast cable card, I told the guy the issue I was having so he tested the cable card settings and said they were perfect ?
    So at this point it must just be COMCAST bad data IN and nothing I can do to about it

11. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    97% should be okay...but I think I'd test it lower. What is the SNR? TiVo recommends 35. I'd test attenuation all the way down to 35 and see what happens.

12. tommeboy

tommeboy New Member

Nov 20, 2019
    Currently on my BOLT (without an attenuator) I am seeing
    Signal Strength : 92-95%
    SNR : 37-38 db

Testing this week to see if the stuttering continues on recordings

13. tommeboy

tommeboy New Member

Nov 20, 2019
    Today I tried playing back on a different TV .. and same result .. stuttering on all HISTORY channel recordings .. panning scenes
    I have now swapped out
    TV's
    TIVO's
    hard drives in TIVOs
    line attenuators
    all with little or no change

Unfortunately .. it's likely a source issue with Comcast and nothing I can do

I've seen the way things like this go down before
    COMCAST will blame this issue on my TIVO device
    and
    TIVO will blame this issue on COMCAST

the net of all this is .. live with it and nothing I can do
    at least all my other channels seem decent