Comcast HD Technology Fee

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by spherular, Jan 29, 2019.

1. spherular

spherular Member

Jan 16, 2014

Advertisements

Just switched to a Double Play where the HD fee was not included. I've read a few reports on here about people needing to pay the fee to receive HD channels, while others have said it is not required.

I'm in CO so am looking for the latest info.

I have Bolt and Roamio both with cablecards ($10 for the second card and $5 in own equipment credits). I do not have any Comcast equipment and don't care about Xfinity VOD.

If I disable the $10/mo HD fee will my HD channels show as unauthorized or will it still work?

I will try it, but don't want to go a few hours with HD if I can help it.

thanks

2. spherular

spherular Member

Jan 16, 2014
    To follow up I had them remove the HD fee and was told I'd lose the HD channels immediately - that hasn't happened and it has been 15 minutes. Will update again if I lose them.

3. Garbageman23

Garbageman23 New Member

Jan 21, 2016
    You were told wrong. The HD Fee is a junk fee. I have a Tivo Bolt with a cable card and at one time, also had one Comcast DVR box that was not connected, just stored in my closet. The box was free but I was being charged a monthly HD Technology fee. As soon as turned in the box and was Comcast equipment free (except for their cable card), the HD fee went away without loss of HD content.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    When pairing a cable card it takes 15 minutes for my provider. A few years ago I had that fee. It was called the "HD & 3D Technology fee". It was $10. Then they moved it to a HD Premiere Tier and dropped the price to $8. It includes HDNET Movies. Last year they dropped it to $6. I keep it for the un-cut, un-censored movies. It's like HBO before they had original content. Also, all SD channels have an HD mirror channel (if possible). But if I could go back in time to receive the quality I had five years ago... HD ain't what it used to be.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

My personal experience is that I removed the HD Technology Fee and still have access to the Comcast HD channels, as well as HD content via the Xfinity On Demand for TiVo app. (I haven't checked the Comcast/Xfinity app for Roku.)

"Without," I assume. Saving $10/mo was worth the risk on our side.

6. spherular

spherular Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Still have HD, but yes @krkaufman - "without" :)

7. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    It may be junk where you live but not out here, each Comcast area is different and they will drop your HD channels if you get rid of it here.

wish_bgr likes this.
  8. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Have you seen this or is it just speculation.

I don't pay HD fee.

9. randyb359

randyb359 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    If you have an older plan or tv only the hd fee is required to get hd programing(not sure if you need it for a tivo) If you have any of the newer plans there is no hd tech fee.

10. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    When I had Comcast in Minneapolis I used my Roamio and never had a HD fee yet I got the HD channels just fine.

It never showed on the bill either

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  11. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Its part of my package now and my moms as well.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It was included in our package price for the first year, as well, then it dropped-in as a line item on our 13th month. We then had it removed ... with no ill effects from a TiVo perspective.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  14. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    No that's not true for all franchises either since we had an old plan going back to when Comcast bough Adelphia. There's also no mention of it in our current DoublePlay plan that we switched to last year.

While it is not needed here and for many users that have posted here (and their franchise/billing), there have been a few postings where they removed it and lost access to HD channels. No idea what is different about their franchise or billing but it obviously ties that fee to their subscription at those sites but not in others. This could be tied to the billing they are using locally (since Comcast has purchased a lot of cable companies although they are trying to consolidate the billing/accounting) or if it's related to the hardware used locally. We have Cisco/SA CableCARDs here and I recall at least one user that required the HD fee had Motorola CableCARDS. Maybe it's possible with one versus the other but it still might not be implemented everywhere.

I don't think you'll know for your franchise until you remove it or have someone else with a CableCARD device report that it's not needed.

Scott

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  15. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    From my experience with Comcast, a HD Technology Fee was charged for Comcast HD equipment. e.g. my in-laws's rent includes Comcast service but only standard definition equipment. To get HD equipment (no TiVo) they are paying $9.95/month.

16. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Philly area is the same as well.

17. spherular

spherular Member

Jan 16, 2014
    We changed our plan from X1 Premier Double Play ($134.99/mo) to X1 Saver Double Play ($79.99/mo). The Saver offer states that it does not include HD, but the Premier plan does. It's been almost 24 hours and I still have all my HD channels, after cancelling the HD fee. I guess I'm just glad that I'm in one of the regions that HD is a junk fee!

krkaufman likes this.
  18. David B Gregory

David B Gregory Member

Feb 25, 2018
    I have Comcast/Xfinity with cablecard on Tivo Bolt, no HD fee, I get HD channels fine. I did find that when using the Xfinity app on a Roku, I dont get HD channels, I get them on Mac or Ipad/Iphone app just not the Roku. Was told I need to pay the HD fee, honestly couldn't care less

19. spherular

spherular Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Tried it on my Android phone and the channels work, the quality is not the greatest so it may be SD but it's not bad enough that I care or am sure it's not HD.

I'll check my Roku and Samsung TV that have the Stream app later to see if they work.

20. David B Gregory

David B Gregory Member

Feb 25, 2018
    On the stream app on Roku I only see the SD channels not the 400's