Comcast HD DVR VS Tivo HD

Discussion in 'HD Comcast TiVo DVR (Archive)' started by rbro, Jul 12, 2008.

1. rbro

rbro New Member

Mar 19, 2004

Advertisements

We recently moved from DirecTV (HR10-250 Tivo Box) to Comcast. My family wants to kill me as they all miss the Tivo. I like on demand and all the HD content, but I can't stand the Comcast HD DVR either. If I get a Tivo HD, I know I'll lose on demand, but will I still have to use the same awful Comcast channel guide or does the cable card/Tivo combo offer a different interface to the channel guide? Also we're contemplating switching back to DirecTV. Has anyone used bot the Cpmcast HD DVR and the "newer" Tivo H20/21? How do those compare? Thanks.

2. Bonanzaair

Bonanzaair New Member

Aug 25, 2006

Get the TivoHD. You won't likely miss the OnDemand. The TivoHD has Amazon Movie Downloads, TivoCAST, Rhapsody (with Rhapsody account) and soon YouTube directly to your TV through your broadband connection and the TivoHD.

Bonanza

3. rbro

rbro New Member

Mar 19, 2004
    That's what I'm thinking. The TIVO will hopefully make the ON Demand content unnecessary.

4. jrmjr67

jrmjr67 New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I just got the Comcast hd tivo box - had a Tivo Series 2 box and I refused to go to a Comcast "standard" dvr after seeing the interface

1 week verdict - so far so good - it's definitely slower, but I also attributes that to new HD tv (even OTA cable was slow changing channels)

I couldnt deal with paying $800 for a HD tivo and subscription...

-J

5. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA

Advertisements

TiVo HD first then Comcast TiVo as a spare. It's true that OnDemand will become less important because you will easily record everything you really want to watch. On Demand will feel much more limited in choice compared with TiVo's nearly flawless automatic recording and management of your desired programs by name, keyword, actor, director by Universal Swivel Search, Wishlists and Season Passes. Plus everything else only a TiVo can do connected to your home network.

6. emmiegrn

emmiegrn New Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Buy a splitter. Put the comcast cable box (not DVR) on one input for icontrol. Put the HD Tivo on the other. Now you can watch icontrol AND record two additional channels on the TiVo at the same time.

7. mrmark99

mrmark99 New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Is there any way to have Comcast with On Demand so I can have Howard TV AND still use TIVO? I just can't bring myself to use the horrendous 60 hour capacity DVR offered by Comcast!!!

8. rbro

rbro New Member

Mar 19, 2004
    Buy a TIVO and just get a Season Pass for Howard TV. Can't you do that?

9. Naugahide

Naugahide Nauganut!

Jan 24, 2008
    Go to tivo.com, look at the refurb Tivo HDs for $179. They are fine, and have the usual 90 day warantee. Use the money you save to go with the $199 500 GB additional drive so you have 93 hours of HD recording, instead of just the 180 GB drive with its 20 hours of HD. Now you have a value proposition beyond Comcast.

Then consider some better features (Amazon Unbox for movies, connect to your PC/Mac so yoy can play your own music and show your own pictures, move recordings between multiple Tivos, a clean TV Guide interface, real HD for all the Tivo screens, not to mention software that actually works, and can play the Tivo bing/bong sounds for more than the first few minutes after a reboot, and has all the Select-Play-Select "features" enabled) and (hopefully!) a more reliable piece of hardware (I've had 4 Comcast DVR boxes in my house, after having just 1 Tivo Series 2 box in the same location for 5 years) and a more reliable network connection (can one really find a stupider internet connection than sending upstream on a cable plant?) and I think there's good value in getting your own Tivo HD box.

I appreciate that Comcast is trying, but they are falling short of the mark. In particular, a 180 GB disk absolutely does not cut it (seriously folks, I bought a HD Plasma TV and pay a premium for HD cable because I want to see HD!!!!), and their hardware reliability is also just not cutting it.

Why are you quoting $800 for the Tivo box? Is this because you are putting in a lifetime service? If so, it's not a fair comparison since you'll be paying Comcast $12.99 + $2.99 per month for the

10. mrmark99

mrmark99 New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    I don't know what a "Season Pass" is but I spoke to Tivo on the phone and they told me that the Tivo HD DVR is 100% not compatible with "On Demand", so that if you are using a Tivo HD DVR, you will not even be able watch anything on the "On Demand" channel. Is this not correct? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

11. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    No you can't. Howard TV is only availabel On Demand and the HD TiVo cannot access On Demand content.

12. VivaLasVegas

VivaLasVegas STeVo HD

May 17, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    If you're in New England, you can give the Comcast DVR w/Tivo service a shot. If you get the 160GB box, you should be able to record up to 20 hrs in HD (I don't remember how many hours standard def.).

I gave up on it and bought a TivoHD, but it sounds like it's getting better since the latest software release.

If you're not in New England, you'll have to wait for the 'Tivo service' on Comcast DVRs to roll out nationwide.

13. NCARalph

NCARalph Member

Jan 31, 2008
    How much do you have to buy from Comcast to get a real Tivo HD up on their system, e.g. separate HD charges, digital charges, etc.

I'm getting sick of messing around with their POS.

14. Naugahide

Naugahide Nauganut!

Jan 24, 2008
    See my reply in the "stinks" thread.

Bottom line, Comcast's deal would be passible if the hardware and software were reliable, and it had a reasonable amount of HD recording space, but in my experience, these things aren't true.

To avoid these things, one ends up spending a fair amount of money up front, but that's the way things go if you want more than a passible experience.

15. sjashe

sjashe New Member

Mar 3, 2008
    I just finished my transition to TIVO HD.. gave Comcast back there latest box (replaced at least 3 or 4 times over the last 6 months).

16. Naugahide

Naugahide Nauganut!

Jan 24, 2008
    Me too.

I'll try to summarize pros of Comcast TiVo vs Real TiVo (tm) in no particular order, while the initial impressions are fresh on my mind:

Pros of Comcast TiVo:
    • Comcast's TiVo has a nice picture-in-picture mode so that you can continue to see the currently playing show (live or recorded) while you are using the TiVo menus. I don't see that on TiVo HD.
    • The Comcast unit has two outputs, one hi-def for the TV, another standard-def that I was using for output to my DVD recorder. The TiVo HD seems to just have the one hi-def output.
    • Comcast can access it's on-demand which offers HD content. I've tried Amazon Unbox, and I just don't have a good enough internet connection to get instant downloads. Unbox is cheaper, but it's not HD. With Unbox, I will have to plan a few hours ahead if I want content. To be honest, it's not a big deal to me, since I am not a big movie person. The main idea of having a DVR is to use time-shifting to maximize the services you are already paying for, not to keep buying more services.
    • TiVo HD software seems to be trying to sell you stuff from lots of different vendors, but of course Comcast is trying to sell you more Comcast services all the time

Pros of TiVo HD:
    • Menus are in 16:9 format not 4:3 so they are more readable
    • TiVo bing/bong sounds work all the time
    • Select-Play-Select-30-Select gives the 30 seccond incremental fast forward
    • Seems the remote works much better: with the Comcast box, I had to point the remote right at the box, whereas the TiVo is not as restrictive. Note the box is in the exact same location as was the Comcast one
    • The guide mode is not as slick, but it lets me define favorites and only show those favorites. This less slick mode seems to be a lot more productive in finding things I want to record. You can switch to a grid mode, but it's not as slick as the Comcast one, again because the TiVo HD doesn't seem to have the picture-in-picture support.
    • The box is very responsive. The last Comcast upgrade did improve things a lot, but it seems the TiVo HD is still a touch faster.
    • As mentioned earlier, ability to add an external drive is really important to me
    • TiVo Desktop is cool! I have lots of recorded music on my PC (around 180 CDs worth). Now I can use my home entertainment system to access My Music instead of the lame selections Comcast has (channel 500 and upward). Also I can use my HD to look at My Pictures. Both interfaces aren't terrifically slick, but are easy to use and rock solid.
    • TiVo HD has the "Recently Deleted" folder on the Now Playing List. I find this useful from time to time.

I think in general, the Comcast folks gave TiVo the feature list of things in its non-TiVo software, and had TiVo take out a lot of things not in the non-TiVo software. The TiVo software seems like it tries to do a lot of things like the non-TiVo software did, as opposed to the TiVo way. Of course they kept the key TiVo features, such as Season Pass and Suggestions, etc.

Big thing for me now is to see how stable the hardware is. I had the hardware about a week ago, and powered it up so it could break in. I have another two weeks or so before I have to decide to send it back or not.

17. cgove1

cgove1 New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Ordered 4 Comcast Tivo's a few months ago. 2 went down within a week. Comcast came out and fixed them both. 2 days later 2 went down (1 the same as the first time and one for the first time). Replaced 1 with a Series 3 TIVO and just got rid of the second which was in a room that got very little use. About a month later 1 of the remaining 2 Comcast boxes went down. No guide or TIVO menu. 2 weeks later the last one did the same thing. No more Comcast boxes for me. Comcast is coming the day after tomorrow to install cable cards in the two TIVO HD's I just bought. So disappointed in the Comcast boxes.

I say run away as fast as you can from the Comcast TIVO. I may try it again in a year or two but you WILL have headaches with the current software/hardware from Comcast.

Comcast should be ashamed.

BTW, every service tech that I've talked to either on the phone or in my house has pretty much confirmed that my experience is the norm not the execption.

18. sjashe

sjashe New Member

Mar 3, 2008
    I've got my music set up there as well.

I have been able to watch some shows that I had previously downloaded off the internet in DIVX formats.. very useful.

Tivo.com is great.. when you hear of a show during the day or when reading a website, you can jump over and tell your Tivo to set up a recording of it (On the Waterfront will be on in a few weeks.. all ready to record it..)

The "circular"? search system is also pretty interesting. Once in a while I'll go in when I saw a certain actor on a show to see what else he may be in..

I do need to get the disk expander..

I'm sort of frustrated with the number of shows that are copy protected (Why would "Jeremiah" on scifi be non-protected one week and protected the next?)... but then again, Comcast would not let you transfer any.

One of my main purposes for this is to be able to capture and download shows from our local access station (School Cmte, Selectmen, etc) and be able to clip them up for use on a blog... this has worked excellently.

19. Naugahide

Naugahide Nauganut!

Jan 24, 2008
    And now for the bad news: I'm seeing the dreaded Tivo HD pixelization problem on the TiVo HD, just in time for the start of the NFL season, sigh.

I guess I should just read a book instead?