Comcast HD Digital Cable/Tivo problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by joanmaries, Aug 18, 2007.

1. joanmaries

joanmaries New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    nj shore

Advertisements

We've had Comcast Digital cable with a scientific atlanta HD box for over a year. No tivo problems (just regular comcast is sucky issues).

Two months ago, I traded my series 1 lifetime for a new series 2 dt, and set it up to run with the cable box. No problems - all channels tuned in fine. We have the cable split going to the cable box & the TV. The cable box runs to the tivo with RCA cables and directly to the TV/receiver with DVI & Digital audio cables so that we can watch thru the Tivo all the time, but switch over to directly to the TV if we want to watch in HD.

In the last week, we've started getting the following message while watching on Tivo "Copy Protection - the DVI/HDMI output is blocked". First on the HD channels, then all the digital channels, now on some of the "regular" tier channels. If we go directly to the DVI/TV connection, the channels come thru fine. Any ideas why the RCA connections don't have any video but the DV connections are OK? It really makes no sense whatsoever.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on??

I am fairly confident that I'll never get a solution/ answer from Comcast - Any person that I've had to the house or on the phone have been idiots (one guy was at the house telling me that the cable box blinking light and time was on so it must work and my not having a picture on the TV didn't mean anything - he then proceeded to keep telling me to turn to channel 3 (my tv was on the DV input....)

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Your right, it doesn't make any sense. The message that you are seeing is usually caused by the CCI (copy protectin flag) being set wrong by the cable provider. It usually only affect output on DVI or HDMI. Occassionally it will also block output to other outputs as well.

However, you say that you are getting a picture on the DVI output, just not on the Tivo (composite) output. My guess is that your TV is ignoring the copy protection flag, but Tivo isn't.

Still doesn't quite jive, but I still would say it is a problem with the copy protection flag being set by the cable company.

Before you call them, however, I would try a cold reboot on the Tivo (pull plug, wait 30 secs. and power back up).

3. joanmaries

joanmaries New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    nj shore
    Thanks - that actually worked (at least for now). Hopefully we won't have to do this on a regular basis.......