Comcast HD changes ..anybody know what they are doing..??

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by scottfll954, Sep 13, 2016.

1. scottfll954

scottfll954 Member

Jul 31, 2012

Advertisements

From TIVO

You may have received a letter from Comcast informing you that they were upgrading the way they deliver HD channels on their XFINITY TV service. Some digital converters (cable boxes) will need to be upgraded to models that support the new HD platform. This is scheduled to occur in early November.

Please note that this will not impact your TiVo BOLT™, TiVo Roamio™, TiVo® Premiere or TiVo HD DVR. You will continue to get all your HD channels - no action is necessary

thanks....................

2. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Comcast is transitioning their compression standard from MPEG-2 to H.264 and downconverting all 1080i channels to 720p. There are several discussion threads on this topic in the forums.

3. scottfll954

scottfll954 Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I know that this is a loaded question..

Will I notice a difference of the picture on my HD TVs..??

thanks again..

4. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    The 1080i channels they are downconverting to 720p will probably look worse to someone with a good eye for picture quality, especially on larger screens, but the average person probably won't notice.

5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD

Advertisements

Even with the 1080i --> 720p, it depends on how much bandwidth they dedicate to the channels. Since they are doing it to preserve bandwidth, don't hold your breath.

As for MPEG2 --> MPEG4. Again, it depends on how they do it. DirecTV has the best PQ that I have seen and they convert everything to MPEG4. But they don't squeeze the bandwidth. The MPEG4 itself saves a ton.

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Fast forward on some channels after the transition will be a different experience. That's all I noticed in Chicagoland.

7. OmeneX

OmeneX Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Streaming...
  8. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Yes, you should! :mad:

Which is what they're banking on.......:rolleyes:

"Con"cast..........the future of awful!

Thanks, just seeing this now......they're pathetic and the American Joe Sixpack zombies just shuffle around cluelessly throwing their pay checks at corporations that prey on this fact!