Comcast fees and cable cards

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tommage1, Dec 17, 2020.

1. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

Around me I see they are jacking the fees again. Recently they raised the regional sports fee around $5 or so to 14.45 a month from 9.xx a month. They say because they added a channel where can watch Cubs games (oh boy, I'm a Sox fan.) That is already done, now raising broadcast TV fee from 11.70 to 16.20. So just the fees now will be 30.65 plus the franchise fee of 3.91, $34.56. Yikes. What they call "digital starter" with cable card will now be about $105 a month (70 plus 34.56.) No premium channels. And they just dropped Movieplex which was the one non commercial movie channel included with digital starter. Obviously nothing to be done.

Cable cards, I see in another post when renegotiating contracts they might be requiring the return of cable cards to get a package deal. Ours comes due this month, will have to see what they tell us. Cable card pricing, additional outlets, customer owned equipment (Tivo/cable card users) seems to be getting a bit better. But if they won't do any combo deals without giving back the cable cards won't do much good. I'm hoping for the best, will tell them I will NOT change TV service. If they won't at least offer the $20 "bundle" discount will drop internet. Even then I worry about the cable card service.......... For sure I'm not giving them back, unless you have them already I'm guessing getting "new" service with cable cards would be difficult if not impossible.

2. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Are you negotiating in an Xfinity Store or ..................................? Much I believe might depend on the where.

I'll need to be very concerned 7/21 and the newest 'Rate Card' is very difficult to sort out options etc.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  3. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    It's around Chicago. Will try on phone first. Contract expires today. But bill says my current promo runs through the 31st. I will be taking no more contracts, just month to month. So will be stuck with full price for the TV, don't want to mess with the cable cards. I'm HOPING they will let me add the lowest internet which is going up to $56. And hoping I get the $20 discount for two services. Without a contract. We shall see I guess, as I say not messing with TV, if they say I have to change it (ie get rid of cable cards) I will just can the internet and get elsewhere.

4. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I believe the phone is a mistake. If there's an Xfinity Store anywhere near you and it has hours I'd make an appointment and do it there.

5. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT

Advertisements

We have competition in Burlington VT with Burlington Telecom. The thing is (stability and quality of the fiber aside) that to get the same "stuff" we have now would be a little bit more than comcast. My plan is if the move to IP comes sooner than later here or if my Bolt has significant issues that I am not capable of fixing then I would prob make the switch then.

6. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Try Twitter to ComcastCares if phone call doesn't work, just re-upped my 2-year deal for $130/mo. all-in for HSI+cable. Painless but takes longer than a phone call.

Also when you call select cancel/downgrade service option to get a retention rep more likely to cut you a deal. But if you don't want a contract you won't get a great deal IMO - they do have 1-year contracts so it's no biggie.

7. chiguy50

chiguy50 U.S. Army (ret.)

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Also, bear in mind that the contractual penalties entailed in the Comcast bundled agreements are only imposed if you want to cancel ALL of your Comcast services prior to term. You can drop HSI or CATV (or both if you keep yet another service such as, say, Home Security) or sign up for a new agreement at different tiers of service without penalty.

I have yet to encounter a situation where Comcast will not waive any penalties as long as you either retain one of their services or agree to a new contract.

8. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Called and got a great rep. Confirmed everything I had hoped for. Just changed the internet to lower speed. Get $20 bundle discount and $10 paperless discount. And NO CONTRACT, month to month. TV with both cable cards remains the same, phew. $124 a month (digital starter and lowest internet speed, we don't stream, she confirmed we only use about 30GB a month), that includes the $35 in fees, not bad. Think I got lucky getting such a great rep.

9. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Your experience SHOULD be typical as everything you mentioned is standardized under the current Simple & Easy scheme.

Now, IF all you have is Performance Starter (25Mbps) and Extra with no other services or equipment, that bundled service fee should amount to $80 per month, or roughly $115 p.m. with all fees and taxes starting January 1 (perhaps even less counting the $15 COE credit for your two CableCARDs). And you can shave another $10 off if you sign a 12-month agreement; unless you anticipate cancelling ALL of your Comcast services within the next year, it is to your advantage to go with the agreement. Although it doesn't appear that you would benefit much from it, you could even bump your HSI tier up to Performance (100Mbps) with a 12-month agreement and still save $5 p.m. over your current no-contract deal. Or, here's another wrinkle: you could bump your HSI up to Blast! (200Mbps) and lock in the price for 24 months for the same price ($80) that you are paying now. That way you would not have to worry about service price increases or renegotiating for the next two years and you would have plenty of broadband room to grow. And with this deal, you could get another $10 discount if you added (or already have) Xfinity Mobile cell phone service.

FWIW, you can change or cancel any arrangements you make within the first 30 days without penalty.

10. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    TV is what they call digital starter, digital starter is a cable card type tier (they probably don't offer to new customers, don't think it is even on website anymore). $70 a month before fees. Performance starter is $56 in Jan. So 126 plus the $35 fees. $161 minus the $30 for bundle and paperless is $131, I think the extra discount down to $124 comes from the 7.50 customer owned equipment. Second cable card we shall see, used to be $10 additional outlet, $5 credit for customer owned. Now it says additional outlet is no cost, not sure if will get another credit. I love the no contract thing as moving may become necessary, in that case would not be keeping one service minimum so would get charged the penalty.

11. dishrich

dishrich Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Not true if you're moving to an area where Comcast is NOT offered, they WILL let you out of your contract w/out penalty. They WILL require you to send in proof of your new address...but other than that, no big deal to get out. A friend of mine had Comcast down here on a contract & when he moved to a condo in Chicago where Comcast was NOT offered, when he called to disconnect, they said they would require the proof; when he did then they canceled the contract & any penalties.

chiguy50 and tommage1 like this.
  12. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Thanks, that's good to know!! Overall I do prefer a no contract thing though ;)

13. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    I may have spoken too soon. Logged into acct, now it shows some sort of named bundle. It seems my "digital starter" is gone, I have something called "Extra" (which has less channels). It shows they cancelled my two cable cards. I called again, they said I will still have the cable cards, I'd BETTER. And better not have to re-pair. There is also a $10 charge for something called "Streampix", don't even know what that is. The $10 says something like "revenue holder" next to it. At this point I guess will just have to see what happens with channels, cable cards and bill. I hope I still get my customer owned equipment discounts or it's going to end up higher than anticipated as they did NOT include the 2021 increased fee for local channels and increased cost for internet in the quote. So much for straightforward, the one thing I EMPHASIZED was keeping my TV as is, digital starter with cable cards, kinda looks like I'm going to lose about 15 channels and a $10 charge for something I may not want or even be able to use with Tivo, Streampix?

Also says I have 20 hours "cloud storage" for recordings. What does that have to do with Tivos with cable cards?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  14. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    What you now have is exactly as I described in my previous post.

Digital Starter is a legacy package, i.e., it is no longer offered in those areas like yours and mine that have transitioned to the Simple & Easy scheme (N.B.: I myself still have Digital Starter, but that is because my agreement runs through May of next year). Under S&E there are just three tiers of Comcast CATV service: Basic, Extra, and Preferred, with Extra being the equivalent of Digital Starter. Those missing channels might have migrated to one of the add-on packs, such as More Sports & Entertainment, that entail an additional monthly fee.

As for Streampix, that is an IP-only series of channels that is included in your Extra pack (there should be no charge for it). You will need to use the Xfinity Stream app or web portal to view them (see screenshot below). The 20 hours of cloud storage likewise is only accessible through the app since you are not using any of Comcast's X1 TV boxes.

upload_2020-12-19_12-45-28.png

Regarding the costs that you were quoted by the Comcast rep, the system is designed to reflect fees at the time of the order; future increases do not factor unless you ask for them expressly or the rep voluntarily offers a look-ahead.

Assuming your new deal is already in effect, you should be able to verify the operability of your CableCARDs by testing out reception on your TiVos. If there is any reception issue, contact Comcast for assistance.

Please refer back to my previous post for further guidance as to your options and further discount opportunities. Note that without a term agreement you are subject to service fee increases from month to month; if you sign a 12- or 24-month agreement before the end of this month you will not incur any increase for the HSI or CATV services (although you are not protected from increases to BTV or RSN or other "pass-on" fees such as the Franchise Fee) through the end date of your agreement AND you will save another $10 per month. It's your choice.

tommage1 likes this.
  15. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Small correction: Streampix is Xfinity's own ad-free on-demand service that comes with just about all of their cable TV packages. I don't think it has its own app, it just exists in their native on-demand platform in X1/Flex and the Xfinity Stream app. (I always figured Streampix would just get shut down and absorbed into Peacock when that launched but, nope, it still exists, although gets virtually no marketing love from Comcast any more.)

ScreenPix is what you described -- a set of IP-only classic movie channels from Epix.

16. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    You are correct that Streampix does not have its own app, but then I never intended to imply that it did (although I can see how you could interpret my phrasing that way). I wrote that OP would need to access it via the Xfinity Stream app (I even linked to the pertinent XS support web page for clarification) or web portal since he/she is not using any X1 STBs.

BTW, Streampix is not part of the Digital Starter tier; you have to upgrade to Extra or Preferred (or the legacy equivalent) in order to get it. Or pay $4.99 p.m. for the Streampix add-on pack

tommage1 likes this.
  17. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    You are correct. Other than the price. Not $80, 123 -30 = 93, will be $96 as of Jan 1. Then add the fees. With Jan 1st fees about 131. Am curious how you figured the $80 instead of the $93/96? Maybe they did not give me the correct bundle price or maybe your price is with a commitment? Thanks for breakdown. Supposedly goes into effect 12/31, I supposed I could call back about the $16 difference unless it is because of no commitment/contract.

EXTRA PERFORMANCE STARTER
    TV Kids & Family
    Internet Performance Starter

$123.00 / mo

EXTRA INCLUDES LIMITED BASIC, SPORTS & NEWS, KIDS & FAMILY, ENTERTAINMENT, STREAMPIX, HIGH DEFINITION AND 20 HOURS OF CLOUD DVR RECORDING STORAGE

PERFORMANCE STARTER

18. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Hey, gotta thank ya. You were right, they gave me the full retail price (minus the $20 bundle and $10 paperless). But there is also $16 promo. Still no contract. So if I hadn't read your posts in detail would have ended up costing me an extra $16 a month. Thanks ;)

19. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, the S&E pricing for your deal would be $80 p.m. without an agreement and $70 with a 12-month commitment (that is the current pricing, which is due to increase on January 1, but which increase you could avoid with an agreement). To that amount add any extra programming ("add-on packs" or premium channels), rental equipment, and taxes and fees--less credits or additional discounts.

Here's a screen shot of your bundle with the "always on" discounts:

onetime4.jpg

tommage1 likes this.
  20. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Yeah, I had to call again to get the $16 promo added. So there is always $20 two service bundle discount (and $10 paperless) and you can get promo on top of that, thought it would be one or the other. I think when my promo runs out I will post here and ask YOU what I should get at the time ;)