Comcast feature on Premiere?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Shagger, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Jan 1, 2011 #1 of 14
    Shagger

Shagger Member

Nov 2, 2007

Advertisements

OK Guys,

I looked for this and could not find it so any help would be apprecaited. At my inlaws they have Comcast with a DVR. When I changed the channel to an SD channel the Comcast had an on-screen icon / button pop up asking "Watch in HD?". When I press select it switched my to the same channel, but in HD. Does the Premiere do something similar? Or do I just need to remove all my SD channels?

2. Jan 1, 2011 #2 of 14
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I spent an entire day removing all my SD channels that had HD versions available. It sure would have been a lot simpler if tivo had let me sort the channel list by call lletters :).

3. Jan 1, 2011 #3 of 14
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    An entire day? Seriously? I could see maybe an hour. (And yes, I've done it.)

But yeah, that's what you have to do. The TiVo doesn't even have the necessary info available to do what your Comcast DVR did, I'm afraid.

4. Jan 1, 2011 #4 of 14
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    For me it's pretty easy. All my recordings are from HD channels so I remove ALL SD channels. It's a lot of remote clicks but they are in continuous blocks which makes it pretty simple. Once in a while with provider lineup updates some SD channels creep back in so requires periodic maintenance though.

5. Jan 1, 2011 #5 of 14
    tomhorsley

Jul 22, 2010

Advertisements

Well, it seems like an entire day in my painful memory :). I was using the search feature to find channels with the same names before I discovered I could use a USB keyboard to type letters directly. I had to take frequent breaks to rest my fingers. In my lineup there were also a few channels with 3 versions. One analog, one standard definition digital, and one high definition digital, so the search was a good way to discover those.

6. Jan 1, 2011 #6 of 14
    wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Does your cable system not follow a formula for the HD channel numbers? On Fios it's SD number + 500, with a few exceptions.

7. Jan 1, 2011 #7 of 14
    tomhorsley

Jul 22, 2010
    If my lineup is anything other than totally random, I haven't been able to detect any pattern. I'm on comcast in the Boca/Delray area, and not only is the lineup random, but comcast seems to change it every month or so for no apparent reason (fortunately, the changes are almost always immediately reflected in the tivo database).

8. Jan 2, 2011 #8 of 14
    plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    The one feature I do miss from DirectTV was the fact that all the HD channels were right next to the SD channels. And I could go into the Guide preferences and say "Hide SD channels if HD channel is available."

9. rhoelzer

rhoelzer Member

Jan 3, 2004
    I guess I'm lucky. All of my HD channels are together and I just never look at the SD part of the guide. Not worth removing them..

10. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    It's worth removing them if you ever use auto-recording wishlists.

11. HellFish

HellFish I can dress myself.

Jan 28, 2007
    An annoyance I have with Comcast is they repeat the HD channels. The original HD channels are in the 200s, and the new ones are in the 700-800s. However, they repeated the 200s in the 800s. So for example, ABC-HD is 206 & 806.

I wish this was possible with a Tivo.

12. akc

akc New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    Hi - I am considering upgrading to a Premiere but have a question about the HD/SD channel thing on Comcast. We have a series2 in our bedroom so I might still need to record in SD to transfer those shows. Then I have to keep them in the channel lineup, right? I can't eliminate them from the "channels I receive" as you're discussing on here, right?

13. audioscience

audioscience OG Lurker

Feb 10, 2005
    New England
    Yes, that's right. If you're going to record in SD you need to keep that channel.

The problem I ran into is that Tivo would record suggestions on the SD channel instead of the HD version, which is annoying to me because I hate watching SD content on an HD tv.

Unfortunately Tivo does not have a set way to say "Just record HD content" or vice versa. That would be a feature they certain could add in the future. It is also a pain to go through your entire lineup and uncheck the SD channels. I did that yesterday but had to find the channels that don't have an HD equivalent so I could leave those checked.

14. akc

akc New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    OK, thanks for the quick reply. I'm beginning to feel that it's easier to spend less than I would on a Premiere for a little HD tv for the bedroom, then pick up a refurb HD Tivo somewhere. Otherwise, I'm going to lose my mind - good gosh! :)

Thanks!