Comcast Extended Basic / HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by chiropharm, Mar 18, 2011.

1. chiropharm

chiropharm New Member

Mar 18, 2011

Advertisements

Is there any way to get Extended Basic and/or HD without leasing another box from Comcast? They informed me the digital adapter I was sent is not compatible with my Series 2 Dual tuner, and I would need to lease a new STB.
    I would rather buy new equipment and give Comcast another penny.

2. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    My paents had extended basic the first 75 or so channels. When I called about getting the three free boxes they would need because of comcast going all digital I asked what the digital basic would cost. It turned out it was the same price they were paying now but would also give them On Demand movies and shows and the music channels and alot of the free movie channels like Encore and TBS. You might want to check into it.

3. chiropharm

chiropharm New Member

Mar 18, 2011
    I received the free boxes. Unfortunately they will not work with my TIVO. I need to acquire another set top box for $9.95/month

4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    There is no way to get Comcast digital cable without either using one of Comcast's boxes, or using a device that has cable card slots.

Comcast would still have to provide you with the cable cards, and charge you for their rental.

Comcast is scrambling pretty much EVERYTHING now, except maybe for locals. You need their equipment.

5. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure you can still use a DTA with a DT Series 2. Seem to recall someone saying it CAN be set up.

You just wouldn't have dual tuner ability any more.

You know, Comcast told us "three free boxes, two of which will be DTAs."

You should be able to get at least one regular cable box out of them, and you could use that with your Series 2. Again, tho', no dual tuners from now on. (Except for any analogs they still have.)

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    What are the model #'s on the boxes?
    If an IR remote control can change the channel, it will work with a S2 tivo.
    If you just mean that the boxes provided won't give you HD through your Tivo, of course not, there is no cable box anywhere that can do that. The same goes for cable a box providing digital cable channels to both tuners on a S2DT. No cable box can do that.

7. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    chiropharm, before renting another box see what they want to upgrade to digital basic like I did with my parents. It included a set top box with all the On Demand Features.