Comcast Discussions

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by JeffGrimes, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Jan 20, 2006 #1 of 123
    JeffGrimes

JeffGrimes New Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Canton, MI
    I'm considering the jump to HiDefinition...I'm currently a DirecTivo user on a 50" "analog" 4:3 TV.

I've been intending on going with D*'s MPEG4 solution when available, but doing some homework here...it seems that Comcast (Detroit area) may have the better package, both in terms of cost and Picture Quality.

I don't want to HiJack a DirecTv forum to talk Comcast...so if their is a more appropriate forum, please direct me.

I'd like to hear from converts...those that have recently left DirecTv for Comcast...Pros and Cons of switching...Problems you've had with audio drop-outs, or similar service-related concerns...

Thanks

2. Jan 20, 2006 #2 of 123
    AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    If you can get all your locals from Comcast, and a decent HD package, you should go with Comcast

Or wait a year to see what DirecTV does.

If I were making the decision now, I would definitely drop DirecTV. But I've got two HD Tivo's I need to accrue.

3. Jan 20, 2006 #3 of 123
    Naggs

Naggs New Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Macomb, MI.
    Technically, this is an HDTV Tivo Powered DVR forum, so I think these conversations concerning Comcast should be welcome since Tivo and Comcast will be hand in hand eventually (not that anyone has said we shouldn't talk Comcast, but still...)

Dropping my Directv (and my Tivo *sniff*) tomorrow for the Comcast HD DVR in Macomb, MI. I'll let you know how it goes.

4. Jan 20, 2006 #4 of 123
    StarsHockey

StarsHockey New Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Scheduled the install for Comcast next Saturday in Dallas. Problem in Dallas is that it's an old cable system and I won't have the dual tuner feature with the PVR.

On the positive side I am getting the full package from Comcast with Internet for 69.95 a month for a year. Currently paying DirecTv 90.00 for just satellite.

I figured I could always come back if I don't like it and will be suspending my DirecTv account.

5. Jan 20, 2006 #5 of 123
    dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    I have comcast HD and have been very pleased... in my area we have:

PBS, CBS, ABC, NBC, ESPN, DISCOVERY, FOX, UPN, WB, HBO, SHOWTIME, CINEMAX, STARZ, INHD1, INHD2

There may be one or two more that I don't remember.... I would definetly recommend it and I have had no problems with any of those channels so far... over 1 year in with HD.

6. Jan 20, 2006 #6 of 123
    Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Santa Fe
    I'm waiting for the cablecard TiVo to be shipping before consideration becomes realistic.

7. Jan 20, 2006 #7 of 123
    Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Baltimore
    Comcast is offering incredible deals for the first year. I am reluctant to switch because of what will happen to my bill after the first year. In Maryland, digital cable (basic) is $64.95 per month. The DVR fee is $9.95 per month. HD fee is $5.00 per month. This is $80.00/month with only one DVR that has a hard drive half the size of the HD-Tivo.

We have three Tivo's (one HD) and you can't beat the $4.99 Tivo fee for unlimited Tivo's on D*.

Scott

8. Jan 20, 2006 #8 of 123
    geodon005

geodon005 Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Mt....
    I'm scheduled for a digital cable installation from Comcast one week from today in the NW burbs of Chicago. My HD DirecTiVo has worked flawlessly, unlike some other people's, but I am tired of the lack of urgency to offer more HD from DirecTV. I already get all my OTA locals in HD, so the big push to get locals in HD doesn't effect me. Plus, I'm saving over 50 bucks a months to get Comcast's top-of-the-line package compared to DirecTV's Premier.

I plan to use both systems for a month and keep whichever I like best. If they are close, I will probably keep the Comcast and save the money.

9. Jan 20, 2006 #9 of 123
    cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    Wow, that's amazing that you're going to save $.

Here in the Northern Chicago burbs, I just called Comcast a few days ago. Right now I have D* Total Choice Plus w/locals and HBO. I have a total of five receivers, all of them DTivos (one is in my son's semitruck). I called up asking for a price on something similar: four digital outlets, all with DVRs. I also asked for HD as a separate cost (since I haven't yet added HD to D*, although I'm getting ready to).

The monthly cost (without HD) was $40/month higher./ For one less outlet.

Can't justify that, no way, no how.

Most of this, I suspect, is the DVR leasing fees of $9.95/box (as opposed to D*s DVR fee of $4.95 flat).

10. Jan 20, 2006 #10 of 123
    BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I just moved to Comcast. No real problems so far. The DVR does funny stuff sometimes but I have had plenty of problems with my DirecTivo as well. Overall, my costs are the same or less than D* (I am actually paying more but getting a LOT more so I consider it a wash). The price is good for 12-16 months. At that time, I can look out there and see what is available. D* will probably offer me something good to leave, Comcast will probably offer me something to stay.

11. Jan 20, 2006 #11 of 123
    DuffMan

DuffMan New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    For those of you who have recently had your comcast install, a quick question: did the installer use an HDMI cable for the tv hookup or component video?

12. Jan 20, 2006 #12 of 123
    dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    Over a year ago but he used Component=Red/Blue/Green

13. Jan 20, 2006 #13 of 123
    Walter Lambert

Walter Lambert Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Oklahoma City
    I have used both the Directv HR10-250 and the Comcast Motorola 6412. In terms of HD content and High Definition PQ, the Comcast, at least in my neighborhood, is superior to D*. Actually, I have recently terminated D* and use two 6412's that provide four tuners and 240 gig hard drive space. I use one DVR for HD series recordings and the other for SD recordings. I do need to place a shield on one of the DVRs to prevent the remote from interacting with both at the same time. So far, all of the recordings occur as scheduled, and I simply swith the shield from one DVR to the other when I want to watch a scheduled recording. The Comcast DVR is not a Tivo, but the trade-off is a better HD picture and all of the network HD broadcasts. Comcast has indicated that they plan to offer a Tivo option in March 2006.

In terms of usability, The Comcast Motorola 6412 has two tuners, series or individual recording options, first run only etc. It uses the grid for scheduling programs and has about two weeks of scheduled programs on the grid. The 6412 allows the user to check and cancel scheduled recordings (a to do list), and change the order of scheduled recordings to indicate your preference if a schedule conflict occurs. Comcast does offer the 30 second skip. In other words, in terms of the basic DVR operations it offers everything that Tivo offers and operates much more quickly.

The Tivo HR10-250 has a more friendly user interface, and a much better conflict resolution system. For example, if there is a conflict with a requested recording, Tivo will seek to find another broadcast time to record the requested program. Comcast does not offer this option. In addition, of course, Tivo offers the wish list, suggestions, and an easier system and several options for finding programs to record (name, channel or time).

The major problems with the Comcast 6412 is hard drive space (120 gig). You are limited to about 14 hours of HD programs/50 hours of SD programs. I do use two 6412's that helps with the space problem. The second problem is that Comcast does not have Tivo, although they indicate that they plan to offer that option in March, 2006.

In sum, there is no perfect solution at this point. I simply opted for the better PQ and more HD content offered by Comcast. D* may offer a better solution with the HMC in 2006, and/or Comcast with Tivo and SATA enabled (external hard drive) may offer a better solution in 2006.

14. Jan 20, 2006 #14 of 123
    JeffGrimes

JeffGrimes New Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Canton, MI
    Good feedback so far...

I wonder how the new "leasing" structure at D* will change things...The monthly fee for equipment will likely go UP...more than the curent mirroring fee, possibly?

15. Jan 20, 2006 #15 of 123
    BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Component. The installation was a month or so ago. I keep thinking about changing but I have heard that many people have had problems with it and that the change in PQ is not that much, if at all.

16. Jan 20, 2006 #16 of 123
    DuffMan

DuffMan New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Hmm, good to know. I've got my DVD going into my component inputs right now so it looks like I'll need to purchase an hdmi cable if I want the installer to use it.

17. Jan 20, 2006 #17 of 123
    smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    We don't supply HDMI cables, only component.

18. Jan 20, 2006 #18 of 123
    Sherman67

Sherman67 New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Montgomery...
    I had Comcast installed this past Tuesday and I'm in the process of comparing D* HD to Comcast's. To me, the D* picture is superior on my plasma. Although I'm using hdmi with D* and component (which the installer used) with Comcast, the picture quality is night and day. It's to the point that if I'm switching between ESPN HD on D* and Comcast and leave the room, when I return, I can look at the picture and tell if I left the TV on D* or Comcast.

When I compared hdmi and component with my D* equipment only, I could not see this much of a difference in picture quality. This is a big surprise to me, since everyone has been saying that Comcast's picture quality is superior to D*.

19. Jan 20, 2006 #19 of 123
    Walter Lambert

Walter Lambert Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Oklahoma City
    Sherman67:
    Your response to the PQ on D* and Comcast is not unusual. The Comcast PQ, channel lineup, and SD/HD varies considerably depending on where you live, type of cable, ADS or analog, wiring, number of splitters etc. All you can do is simply do what you did. Namely, you compare the Comcast and D* and make the best choice based on PQ, cost, lineup etc. There is no magic answer that can be applied to every circumstance.

20. Jan 20, 2006 #20 of 123
    JeffGrimes

JeffGrimes New Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Canton, MI

Sherman, you have to be careful hear...While it would be hopefull that every consumer-electronic-grade video device output a perfectly calibrated signal (i.e. all the same) we know it not to be true.

My point/comment/question is: Did you compare the picture quality after "calibrating" each source with Avia or similar? Comcast could just be sending a lower contrast or less "bright" image...making it look duller. Simply adjusting the brightess or contrast could make a difference.

I'm asking/stating, because I would suspect that D* compresses even their HiDef signal, whereas Comcast does not (I believe).

I know Locals in SD over D* are bloody-awefull. I mean, a very clean image, no ditial artifacts or noise...but very "soft".

That, and Hi Def are the reasons I'm considering the switch.