Comcast Digital Voice and Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by brebeans, Oct 20, 2005.

1. brebeans

brebeans Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Hi:

I'm thinking about ordering Comcast digital voice phone service. I currently have comcast cable and internet and regular phone service.

The digital voice will entail getting a new modem to which the phone is connected.

Is this compatible with Tivo? Will I need to do anything differently?
    What problems should I look out for, if any?

Thanks.
    Doing this will be way cheaper than my current local and long distance phone setup so I'm hoping that it's simple and has no impact on tivo.

I have two tivos wirelessly networked right now.

2. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Same as it worked before.

3. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    :confused:

Well, it would be the same if he is connecting to the Tivo service through his internet connection via his wireless network connection. If he is using the modem (why would you?) to dial out it may not be.

I have Lingo VOIP and it refuses to work correctly using the modem. (This is no longer and issue for me now that 7.2 supports intial setup over the network connection.)

4. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    How much are they going to charge? I am paying ~$16.94 (includes tax) a month for VOIP (with about 500 minutes) w/ Lingo. For $20 something I would get unlimited. Is Comcast competitive here? I have Comcast internet, but I don't think they have VOIP in my area yet.

5. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    $39.95 for unlimited local and LD. But, if you are in a house we can backfeed so that all the outlets in your home are active so that is a benefit.

6. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Note that he mentions his Tivos are wirelessly networked.

7. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    I am "backfeeding" with my Lingo also. Run one wire from my phone adapter to the wall. All the phones in the house work. (Granted I only got 2). Is this a special feature they advertise? Not sure this is a supported "feature" of Lingo service or not.

8. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    I did notice, but I couldn't help asking myself why he was asking the question unless he was still using the modem. :confused:

9. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Smark, you sigs links are dead. You work for comcast? Or just a customer with their VOIP? Just curious.

10. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    It is a special feature of CDV yes.

11. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Work.

12. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Just saw that $100000 Pyramid parody commercial for the first time. Comcastic! :p

13. brebeans

brebeans Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Hi:

thanks a lot. I feel better about comcast voice now.

by the way, it is 39.99 per month for unlimited local and long distance. I also have my internet and cable tv through them (with hbo and showtime) and it will end up being around $180 for everything monthly.

It's a better deal than my current comcast digital phone, plus long distance carrier, for sure.

14. lhuff

lhuff New Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Comcast called me this morning and asked if I was interested in their phone service. I have TV and broadband from them. I was shocked at the price. I get unlimited local and LD to US and Canada, all of the normal digital perks (caller id, 3-way calling, transfer call, etc), SimulRing which rings my home phone and cell phones at the same time, and great customer service from Vonage for $24.99. When I signed up two years ago, they sent me a telephone adapter which hooked to my 802.11b router. When I upgraded to 802.11g, I bought a Linksys WRT54GP2 router (which included Vonage service) from eBay. It went bad and they sent me a Linksys WRT54G wireless router with 2 phone lines free overnite and even emailed a postage paid label to return the dud (mentioned to show sample of customer service). All of this for $15 less than Comcast. At first I "backfed" and it worked fine, but later bought a wireless phone system with four handsets from Sam's. for portability and gadget value.

$15 X 12 = $180/year. That's a lot of money to give Comcast unless they provide something their sales person forgot to tell me about.

15. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    amen brother

I used the same arguement when I compared Vonage to Lingo. But the price difference isn't near so much. Lingo seems to offer all the same feature as Vonage, just for slightly less.

16. brebeans

brebeans Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Is there a difference between Vonage and Comcast Digital Voice? The rep told me it was more "secure" than Vonage.....? What does [that mean?

Well, perhaps Vonage could have been a better deal, but since I have comcast for everything else, if anything goes wrong they can't blame "the other guy". I guess I'm paying a bit more for convenience and one bill..

thanks.

17. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Well, one of the main points is Quality of Service. We prioritze the packets on our network and they don't touch the public internet and instead use our own network to get where it needs to go so then security would be improved a bit. Perhaps not too much.

I had Packet8 before and was happy with it, but CDV is honestly a lot more clear and has a very robust feature set. Plus being able to have a technican come out and fix issues is better than playing the ISP vs. VoIP provider game.

18. lhuff

lhuff New Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    I certainly agree with that. I had Bellsouth telephone and MindSpring ISP (and Dish, but no problem there) and every time I had a problem it would take a week of blaming each other before I got it working again. I finally told them to stuff it and went with Comcast for TV and ISP. There is definitely an advantage to having one number to call with problems. Even with that, it's pretty easy to tell that if your network (Internet) is up and your phone is down, it's probably a phone thing. Anyway, it's worked well for me for a couple of years, but I can surely see your point.

19. PsiPhi101

PsiPhi101 New Member

Jun 27, 2003
    Another issue with Comcast Digital Voice versus Vonage is E911 service. Even though the FCC has now mandated that the VoIP carriers provide the service, most are a long way away from offering it. Comcast does not roll out phone service unless E911 is all set up.

With Comcast, the phone call is on the dedicated IP backbone and then handed off to the Public Telephone network, the call never goes out over the public Internet, and as a result, the quality is much better.

Also, if anyone on Comcast CDV service is having problems getting TiVO to work, please open a ticket. So far, I have yet to see one that we haven't been able to get working.

One thing to try if the dial-up isnt working after going to CDV is to get a DSL filter (from Radio Shack). This has worked several times that I have seen.

20. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Why, if they have HIS, aren't they connecting their Tivo's to the internet rather than trying to dial-out? :confused:

I suppose if they didn't have a home network setup, or a convient connection near their Tivo..., or running older software and needed to do initial setup via phone. :eek:

Just curious what the common circumstance is you've seen in the past with these folks.