Comcast digital cable setup ideas

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by stingray72, Jan 12, 2006.

1. stingray72

stingray72 New Member

Nov 14, 2005

Advertisements

Ok guys.. setting up my new Humax 300 HR Tivo with my Comcast Digital cable box and was looking for some input. I drew myself a really crappy picture that hill hopefully help but anyways I will explain the best I can

I've got the cable coming in through the wall and splits 3 ways.

1 of those goes in to the cable modem.
    1 Goes into my digital cable box
    1 goes into my slingbox

Ok.. here's my issue. The way I have it setup right now I can't watch TV and record at the same time.

I have it setup as follows

Coax into Digital Cable Box ----> Coax out of DC into Tivo -----> AV cables into TV

i've also got

Coax to DC --> Compontent to TV (so I can watch HD and I know I can't record during this)

I guess I'm wondering if I can connect all this up and be able to watch the TV while I'm recording something. I don't think I can set it up so I can watch HD while recording and can live without that. So what are my options you think?

Sorry about the pic of the cable box.. drew it with Paint.. hehe

Attached Files:

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I haven't looked at your picture yet, but I'll tell you this-

If you're using a cable box, you'll never be able to watch one digital channel while recording another.

You'd need two boxes.

The best you'll be able to do is split the cable before the cable box and feed the "boxless" or "straight" cable into either your TV or your TiVo.

The cable box will then feed the other unit.

The TiVo will have to feed into the TV thru A/V connectors, so you can both use the TV's antenna feed (whatever it's getting thru that) for regular viewing, as well as switch to the A/V feed to watch the TiVo. (And I hope your TV has A/V inputs...if not, your plan won't work out so good.)

The disadvantage to this is whichever unit is getting the "straight" cable is only getting analog channels, and obviously not as many of those as the other unit can get with the box.

Also, with all the splitting you're doing, I'd get an amplifying splitter, rather than a regular one. Make sure it's one that's geared for digital cable.

Personally, I'd recommend sending the "straight" cable to the TV directly, and send what's coming out of the box to your TiVo. It'll give the TiVo the ability to record any channel you can get.

If you do have program conflicts where you want to watch one thing and record another, if one's on an analog channel you can watch that live thru the TV.

Always better if the TiVo can record every channel you get.

Of course, if both channels you wanted to watch are digital channels, you're sunk since you'd need two cable boxes to do that.

3. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    [​IMG]

4. stingray72

stingray72 New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    I could get it to work somewhat the way I wanted if I could get the Tivo to work without having to use coax from the digital cable box into the tivo. I can't A/V cables to produce a picture. It'd odd

5. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

Advertisements

I believe you have to go into the setup on the Tivo and tell it you are using A/V cables instead of coax.

6. stingray72

stingray72 New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    If you look at the picture I attached... I would use the red and white audio jacks on the bottom left and the yellow video on the top right. correct?

7. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Yes