Comcast deal for DTV customers

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by fastep, Jan 12, 2006.

1. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...
    Just had moto 6412 series III installed and the deal is this: all comcast channels except cinemax including HD and On Demand for 12 months @ $59.99 plus $9.95 per month and the price i guaranteed not to increase for at least 12 months.... THIS PRICE INCLUDES high speed internet service. The only catch is you have to pay an install fee of $17 and have to turn in one Direct TV receiver. I gave them an ancient receiver I got in 1999. There is no contract and you can cancel at any time!

I still have HDTivo with HD service and cancelled premiums. Since I was paying comcast $57 per month for internet and basic cable I now have more HD programming and programming in general and am saving $30 per month for at least the next 12 months and dont have to deal with off-air reception problems! Also - comcast offers a somewhat better HD picture quality as well as the following hd channels: All local HD, comcast sportsnet (all local sports in HD), HBO HD, SHO HD, Starz HD (which has better movies I think) , two INHD channels (kinda like IMAX or Discovery type shows in HD), TNT HD , Discovery HD and ESPN. DTV offers HDnet and HDnet movies so between the two I have a much better selection of HD programming.

The interface of the 6412 is primitive compared to tivo but works well. It only has a 120 gb hd so can only hold approx 17 hours of hd but is plenty since I also use my hdtivo. On Demand is cool espescially for kids shows so I dont have to waste space on Rugrats etc. for my 5 year old. In addition I searched and was able to program a 30-sec skip and easily programmed my MX500 remote.

For some reason HDMI didnt look as good as component with HDTIVo but looks better than component on the 6412 so I am using HDMI with the 6412. Make sure to ask for the series III if you get the 6412 as it has a better search and series recording option than previous models. This is a no-brainer if you are currently paying comcast for high speed internet service.

2. txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Where can I get more info on this deal? Is it regional, or can anyone get it (that is a DirecTV subscriber)?

3. minorthr

minorthr Your Ad here

Nov 24, 2001
    Pa
    That pretty good last year I got a deal for $39 a month for 12 months with dvr from them and HBO was included. If the new one is giving you starz hbo and showtime its not bad

4. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...
    i called 1-888-266-2278 and spoke with ray at ext 8807......i believe it depends on which state/county you live in but let us know....my deal was for anne arundel county in maryland...

5. tedkunich

tedkunich New Member

Sep 9, 2005
    That rate HAS to be a local thing... here in Cali, my friend is paying comcast ~$65 for plain digital cable and two boxes, no HD, nothing special... don't get caught up in the one year promo pricing... what is the rate on that package after one year? I'll keep my DTV.

T

6. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    It goes by market and that is probably a switch from sat special.

7. jdk

jdk New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    Why disregard the one-year promo rate? Just keep your dish up and the DirecTV boxes in the closet.

Comcast has no service commitments. If after the year, Comcast increases your rates to $999 per month, cancel them and re-sign up for DirecTV... but first call Comcast and see what they'll do for you... and/or call DirecTV and see what they'll do for you too!

Its a little bit of work (invovles the heavy-lifting of picking up a phone and dialing), but if the service providers wish to compete like this, then why not take advantage of it?

One recommendation to anyone considering the switch - do the check with DirecTV against your "Comcastic" deal. Run all the numbers on paper (for the length of the service term, if any), and then weigh the non-monetary things like programming and service (Tivo).

A friend just called Comcast and committed to their deal before calling DirecTV. Upon calling DirecTV to cancel, they offered a better deal, and his wife would have been happier keeping the Tivo around.

8. tedkunich

tedkunich New Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Other than comcasts picture quality sucks out here in tri-valley, after they pulled the "new" pricing structure for the cable modem service, "ie bundling the basic cable and ISP" I will never do business with them ever again - if DTV were ever to go away, I would settle for just OTA than give another dime to comcast.

9. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...
    I too was a huge dtv fan and jumped from the comcast ship many years ago. Two years ago I purchased a $5000 HD TV and 2 HDTivos and have been happy. Recently, however, I have been dissatisfied with HD compression as well as UNRELIABLE over-the-air local HD reception.

I am basically comparing HD offerings for the next 12 months while saving money. Over that time comcast will probably have an HDTivo with no signal compression and RELIABLE local HD WITHOUT updating to new hardware and a dish with 5 LNBs and 6 coax cables to run to my living room. The 6412 and future boxes have or will have ONE coax in and DUAL tuners.

When comcast SD goes all digital DTV better watch out. Actually, I prefer Comcast SD on the digital channels (past channel 100) to DTV SD. Also, I have just stumbled on several free HD movies stored on ON DEMAND. I thought ON DEMAND was just for my daughter's cartoons but Comcast has many categories of ON Demand shows (Home and Garden, Parenting, Fitness, Movies, Primetime shows, etc stored on THEIR server that can be watched without commercials anytime. You can FF, rewind, pause, or save these programs. It's actually a great idea and set up very well.

Lastly, this is my second day with the moto 6412 and I just got done watching "Friday Night Lights" which I recorded earlier tonight on Starz HD and I gotta tell you, Comcast analog below channel 100 may suck but their HD is TRUE HD and actually looks three dimensional as compared to DTV. I seriously doubt that DTV's MPEG4 compression format can make HD picture quality better.

I too hate to admit it but people, the writing is on the wall.

10. jdk

jdk New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    You have a valid argument about the analog picture quality - although my parents have Comcast, and I don't find the analog picture bad. Even then, I only watch the networks in HD, and Comcast is starting to simulcast most of the analog signals in Digital, with the intent to get rid of analog eventually.

I find the digital SD stations on Comcast to be, at worst, the same as DirecTV, and often better.

Now as for their pricing structure - if you can negotiate a substantial savings with Comcast over DirecTV for yourself, what does it matter what their "official" pricing policies are? Again, if after the "locked in" period is over, you find your Comcast bill too high, I'm sure DirecTV or Dish would be more than happy to have you back as a customer.

Today I am a DirecTV + SBC(AT&T) DSL customer, and from the OP's comments - it looks like I can save near $100 a month with Comcast's deal (assuming I can get something similar). That $1200 in the bank, plus higher bit-rate HD, plus faster internet is tempting me to set aside the Tivo and DirecTV. And in my decision making process, I won't care one bit what Comcast charges other people.

11. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...
    Just found On Demand categories which include shows from series like Curb Your Enthusiasm as well as hundreds of shows from Discovery, History Channel, Military Channel, TLC etc which I normally record to my Tivo - pretty cool. Also - just realized - NO PHONE LINE is necessary with 6412 so I can finally go with VOIP (skyrocket) for $19 per month unlimited calls (including long distance) and finally dump Verizon and $45 per month for local calls only! Hurry up Comcast HDTivo!!!!

12. kas25

kas25 Member

Mar 10, 2003
    NJ
    I swithced to Comcast after Directv said I couln't get HD at my new house (even though I could but the installer was just lazy). The HD dvr was horrible. It froze all the time and missed many recordings even though the signal quality coming in to the house was good. After several dvr swaps and a comment by a technician that "we are swapping these things all the time" I went back to Directv. I haven't had a problem since.

13. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...
    I understand that the moto 6412 SERIES III has corrected many problems. I will post updates if I experience any glitches. I should also say that when the 6412 was first installed (Wed) Hbo HD had some pixelization problems and I didnt receive either INHD channel. Upon testing the signal it was discovered that the outside signal was positive across the board but the signal in my house had many negative values. They came back yesterday and ran a new coax into the house and now I have a perfect signal and receive all HD Channels flawlessly. I believe that is why the HD picture looked good (somewhat better than DTV) as I stated in my first post but now the HD PQ blows me away! I recommend that if you get the 6412 you must ask for the series III and have them check signal values outside and in. If there are any negative values insist they repair the problem at their expense.

14. kas25

kas25 Member

Mar 10, 2003
    NJ
    Maybe the Series III did the trick. I also had all new lines brought into the house and the signal test was great. It was the boxes. Its nice to know I may have another option now.

15. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    We require the dish.

16. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    We require the dish.

Unless you are leasing. Then we require proof of that.

17. tedkunich

tedkunich New Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Don't be fooled into thinking that the cable modem will be faster than your DSL. When I had the cable modem, it was horribly slow during peak hours 7-11pm and then respectable in the wee hours of the morning - cable has a shared bandwidth architecture, the more users in your area, the slower your connection will be.

As to comcast picture quality, SJ and the tri valley are separately operated franchises... our cable here just plain sucks, no ifs ands or buts about it. On top of that, they do not carry Speed Channel which is an automatic deal breaker for me... they could be giving it away for free but I will not bite... no way am I giving up Formula 1 or WRC!

T

18. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    I wish comcast would buy out US Cable...

19. tedkunich

tedkunich New Member

Sep 9, 2005

You probably won't like the price hike! ;)

20. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Santa Fe
    Uh, Ted -- I've had Comcast broadband since they day they opened up here. They just gave me the basic cable deal which lowered my monthly tab to $46+. My max is 9.5 mbps, dude. I run no less than 4.5 mbps all day. The best offer for DSL speed around here is 1.25 mbps MAX. No comparison.

The HD deals aren't here in Santa Fe, yet. They're just starting up in Abq. That's OK. I can wait for the CableCard TiVo -- which my local Comcast rep knows about and is waiting for, himself. They're saying 2Q 2006.

I'm waiting on the D* HR20, though -- to compare. Latest rumors say Pacific and Mountain states can start buying in, first, even before the MPG4 'casts. Both the cablecard TiVo and HR20 are reputed to be networkable. And being able to lose Qwest is another plus on Comcast's side of the ledger.

Since I retired, I had Qwest set me up with measured local calls ONLY -- since I use Skype for everything [which means mostly FREE long distance]. 1st bill just came in and they add in every charge conceivable + plus pass along every federal tab for poor and rural customers. Plus they lied about 3 hours of service before the meter kicks in. You can see how Telcos need the bank vaults they own -- when this "minimum" $5.90 service ends up over $20.

I'm changing cell companies in March when my Verizon contract runs out. I'm losing Qwest as soon as I make final decisions on HD, probably mid-year.