Comcast COE credit change (and other pricing changes)

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by HerronScott, Dec 24, 2019.

1. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Just received our current Comcast bill and they included a handful of pricing changes. The 2 that caught my eye that are directly TiVo related is the COE credit changing from $2.50 to $5.00 and Service to additional TV with CableCARD changing from $7.27 to $4.95. The COE credit corresponds with a price increase for "TV box" from $2.50 to $4.60 (although interesting that they didn't make it the same which I think is what they are legally required to do).

The other ugly increases are Broadcast TV Fee is going up from $10 to $12, Regional Sports Fee is going up from $3.60 to $3.90 and Internet is going up $3 across the board. Starz is dropping from $12.00 to $8.99.

Scott

2. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    It’s not the same as you are forgetting the remote rental.

3. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Are you saying we go from ($2.50) to $5.00 for 1 primary cable card.
    That's a $7.50 increase.

4. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    No, I said the *credit* goes from $2.50 to $5.00 and of course as with any Comcast costs, YMMV depending on your local franchise and region. :)

Scott

jrtroo likes this.
  5. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    My NEW RATE CARD is dated 12/20 and reflects the changes mentioned. If you're a Comcast/Xfinity customer your 'most current' rate card should be available from your account information page.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  6. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    Here in New England, the Broadcast Fee went from $10 to $14.95 and Sports went from $8.25 to $8.75.
    $23 for Local Channels and one sports channel! I get more locals with my antenna for FREE!

And, the interesting thing about the Customer Owned Equipment (COE) credit is that they were just recently offering a LOWER price for TV and with faster Internet, taking away the COE credit. So they have essentially taken away the credit they are now increasing.

This is why I just dumped cable TV. At least there is still a good deal for the cheapest Internet $49.95 for 25Mbps. (No fees or taxes.)

UNTITLED.jpg

7. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    the rate card from our market is a bit different:
    upload_2019-12-24_11-58-28.png
    with a multiple product discount listed individually (my triple-play actually has an even bigger discount than listed here, it was a (grandfathered) competitive offer vs. wow):
    upload_2019-12-24_12-2-38.png

8. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    Nice, that means I'll be getting two cable cards for free. First one for my Tivo is free and my HDHR Prime card will be free after $10 credit.

9. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I'm in MA and have not seen this yet. I thought Starter $49.99 internet was only 10mb. If it's now 25mb I might get that and drop cable also.

Edit: I just went to Comcast and checked, they did raise them, but I have not received a bill with the new rates yet. I guess my next one will.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  10. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Hmm, I just checked latest, seems there is no customer owned equipment credit now. So bill going up (two cable cards, $5 COE credit gone, $10 for the second card billed as "additional outlet"). Maybe since they want to dump cable cards, don't want anyone to hang on to them for credits ;) Regardless just another way for my favorite company to raise a "commitment" contract price, legally I suppose. They probably have to raise prices to pay their lawyers to make sure all their "fees" and price increases are legal.

11. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    The speed is now 25Mbps, as verified at my house.

12. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    They have to offer a COE credit for any service that includes Comcast-provided equipment. Does your $10 ADO rate not include a Comcast box? If it does and you are using a CableCARD instead. they have to give you a COE credit equal to the rate they charge for the box alone. For us that has been $2.50 for the box, but this rate increase takes the box charge to $4.60 so the COE credit has to increase.

Scott

13. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    I was always getting a COE credit until recently when I changed my double play plan and I was told that my Internet speed would increase and I would lose my COE. Here is my current bill before I went to Internet only. If you are correct, then they are violating their agreement.

UNTITLED.jpg

14. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Check and see if your Double Play package is supposed to include equipment. We're still on a discounted legacy one, but looking at our current rate chart which also has the package that you are subscribed to now, it doesn't actually mention anywhere that it includes hardware and has the following note.

upload_2019-12-26_10-29-48.png

This is why you wouldn't get a COE credit if that's the case.

Scott

15. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    That is probably why.

16. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    They ended up putting the $5 COE back, not sure what the delay was, usually the credit shows up BEFORE the actual bill is released. We don't use any Comcast equipment other than the two cable cards. They did raise the local channel fee from $10 to $13.70. Was going to be $14.60, that would have been 46%, maybe some regulation prevented that but I'm sure they will "catch up" next year. Total "fees" now $26.07, 13.70 TV, 8.25 sports, 4.12 franchise/regulatory. Franchise went up .22, does not SEEM like much but over 5%. Glad don't rent modem/gateway, that is up to $14 a month now, $168 a year to rent a modem? You can buy a really nice modem for that, even a gateway (modem and router in one). Or separates. If you are using really high speed internet make sure you get a Docsis 3.1 modem, 3.0 not enough for the really high speeds. Cheapest internet now $53, next cheapest $73.

For anyone looking for TV discounts with Comcast ask them about the latino package. It is actually the same as the regular package as far as I can see, just adds some latino channels. They usually have a nice discount on that, when I asked customer service lady about it she said she tries to offer it to people to save them money but many get insulted so don't take it. Geez, same package but more channels and CHEAPER, you don't have to WATCH the latino channels ;) Assuming they still have it, last I checked was a year ago.

17. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    I'm now getting a $5 equipment credit for each of my Tivo Bolt Vox cablecards. Before the latest bill the credit was only $2.50 each. So now, I'm getting 2 cablecards for free because first additional outlet/card is free and the second additional outlet/card is now free due to $10 credit.

I'm tempted to get a third cablecard for an extra HDHR Prime I have which would mean I could get 3 cablecards/outlets for a total of $5 a month.

cwerdna likes this.
  18. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Remember who owns NBC, MSNBC, PeaCock when you think of Comcast and how they keep screwing with your rates/bills/cable cards.

kokishin likes this.
  19. billbillw

billbillw Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Atlanta
    In Atlanta area. I just saw my Xfinity bill for March and to my surprise, they have upped my customer owned credit to $10 (for one cable card), from $2.50. No charge for the single card, so that's a net reduction of $7.50 in my bill. Not complaining. No change to other fees this month, but a couple months ago, they increased broadcast and sports fees, so this brings it back down some. Still paying $106 for a plan that is advertised as $90. No additional outlets, no modem or other fees.

20. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I haven't gotten my March statement yet (my billing cycle ends on the 17th of the month), but I noticed recently that I was granted an additional $5.00 COE credit on Feb 20. That's added to the $2.50 credit I had already received on Feb 10 for my single CableCARD.

I am curious to find out what this portends (permanent increase or one-time adjustment? compensation for some other increase? unprovoked Comcast largesse?:cool:).