Comcast charging for OnDemand?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by khomel, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Jun 3, 2014 #1 of 51
    khomel

khomel New Member

Mar 19, 2011

Advertisements

I have a Roamio Plus and I live in the Chicago area, so I was very happy when Comcast rolled out Xfinity OnDemand. I called to have them add the billing code, and they insisted that it would be a $9.95 charge. I told them to go ahead and I figured I could get the charge removed later. Fast forward to a few weeks later and I call to have them remove the charge. By removing the charge, my OnDemand service has stopped working.

So I stopped into the office today to see if they could add the billing code back in. The employee told me that OnDemand doesn't come with cable cards, only HD boxes, and that the charge is for the OnDemand service. This is basically what the person on the phone told me as well. I only have a modem and one cable card...do I really need to pay $9.95 for OnDemand since I'm using a cable card?

I'd love to be able to show them proof that I don't need it, because it seems like OnDemand should come with my Triple Play service, regardless of having a cable box or a cable card.

Thanks for any input.

2. Jun 3, 2014 #2 of 51
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    do you have any digital channels besides the locals?

3. Jun 3, 2014 #3 of 51
    khomel

khomel New Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Yes, I have the Triple Play everything and anything package.

4. Jun 3, 2014 #4 of 51
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    that's strange never heard that

5. Jun 3, 2014 #5 of 51
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC

Advertisements

I've never heard this before either, but it doesn't really surprise me. Cable companies make every effort to find something new to charge for. This is probably why Comcast decided to roll out Xfinity On Demand on the TiVo to all markets, so they could charge this fee for it.

6. Jun 3, 2014 #6 of 51
    bryan4980

bryan4980 New Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I am in Chicago ish (Romeoville actually) but should be the same. I have no extra charge for on demand. I have 2 Tivos connected to Comcast one cable card is free one is 9.99 or 9.95 I forget which and two 2.50 credits.
    One tivo is a premiere one is a roamio.

7. Jun 3, 2014 #7 of 51
    khomel

khomel New Member

Mar 19, 2011
    I've been on the phone with Comcast all afternoon after going to the office in Lisle today. Just sitting on hold...waiting...please hold... Ugh.

I think in your case, bryan4980, since you have that charge you're all set. I have a roamio and a mini, so only one cable card. I think the code wants to be attached to that $9.95 charge.

8. Jun 3, 2014 #8 of 51
    khomel

khomel New Member

Mar 19, 2011
    OK, I just got off the phone with Comcast billing (because the cable card line and the tech support line always transfer me there), and after AN HOUR of being on hold, they tell me that they can only put the code on with the $9.95 charge.

This time the explanation is that the system thinks you need two cable cards to access on demand... one to send and one to receive. Obviously you only need one M-card, so this sounds like a loophole to charge more money, even though that's a violation of FCC regs.

So here's my question: Does anyone out there have ONE Comcast cable card with Xfinity OnDemand working and no additional charge? It would be called "Addl Outlet Fee" or something on the bill.

9. Jun 3, 2014 #9 of 51
    KevinG

KevinG Member

Sep 3, 2003
    Mt. Laurel, NJ.
    Since my triple play includes a cable box, and I don't have one, I actually receive a small credit (customer owned equipment), and *not* an "Addl Outlet Fee" for my cable card.

I only have a single cable card (in my pro), and 3 minis. And OnDemand works find with no additional fee (though it took months to get it to work initially!)

10. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    I've had more than one cable card (5 of them), with no additional outlet fees at all, and OnDemand worked for me.

Billing systems are somewhat franchise dependent, so experiences on one may not apply to others. I would escalate to a national Comcast help service (ComcastCares or their Philadelphia national offices); this is a local Comcast problem that it is Comcast's responsibility to get right, and any national rep should agree to that and figure out a solution for you (perhaps giving you a $9.95 discount on your main service and then charging the additional outlet fee with the billing code attached.)

11. khomel

khomel New Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. I'll try escalating. What a PITA.

12. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    If at all possible, try to find someone in the retention department. Don't know why, but they were my only hope in getting things correct on my account. Seems Comcast puts all the people who know what they are doing in there to keep customers.

-Kevin

13. bryan4980

bryan4980 New Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Regarding the 9.95 fee Could be, the unfortunate thing might be that last I looked at the FCC stuff I thought it specifically said it did not cover on demand so they may have you over a barrel. If it were me I would tell them you are removing the fee or I will be cancelling, then when they say they can't do it just calmly tell ok that's fine please transfer me to cancellations. Sometimes that works.

Good luck.

14. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Absolutely, Comcast does not have to offer OnDemand to TiVo customers. But if they do, they can't charge more for it for TiVo customers than they charge their normal customers.

This is pretty clearly not an intentional charge by Comcast; they just have to figure out how this franchise's billing system can handle the OnDemand code. It shows Comcast incompetence, not Comcast evil.

15. khomel

khomel New Member

Mar 19, 2011
    I believe you're correct. I just have to get to corporate somehow. I've sent some messages tonight and I'll be heading back to the office to ask to speak to corporate.

16. steinbch

steinbch Active Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I'm in Evanston and have Comcast. I've only got one cable card going for a Roamio and Mini. I have access to on demand and don't pay any access fees for my single cablecard. If your package offers on demand, then it shouldn't be an additional fee for the cablecard. You may need to call retentions and have them get you on a better plan. I'm currently on a $99 plan for the next year (annual retention calls) that gives me the cable card, the 130ish channel cable lineup, 50Mb internet and HBO. Also get the $2.50 hardware credit for using a card instead of their box.

17. bob61

bob61 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    I'm in Bloomingdale I have 1 Romio and 3 Minis. No charge for on demand for me. Only one cable card as well.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

18. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Let me guess, this $9.95 fee is the infamous HD Tech fee that some Tivo users get and not others even if you don't have their boxes. We don't have it here in the ATL and still get OnDemand.

Comcast card billing sucks and is violating FCC card regs because they don't have uniform billing even within the same area. File complaints.

19. bootman_head_fi

bootman_head_fi Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Comcast does not (and in some cases cannot) have the same billing, charges, etc across the country.
    So what applies to one market in most cases doesn't apply in others.

So I'm not surprised that one Comcast market does charge for non equipment on demand while others don't.

One day in the long future (contracts last a long time) this may change, but I have yet to see it.

20. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Referencing the CableCARD is complete BS. Communication between Comcast and the TiVo for On Demand is via back-channel IP.

I would mark it down to the typical ignorance and stupidity of CSRs if it weren't obvious that the information is coming from someone in a management position. This smells more like deliberate fraud and is therefore theft.

It appears that when they added the billing code that "authorizes" On Demand on a TiVo, they decided to make it a charged addition. Whether this was deliberate or just stupidity is up to debate. My bet is a combination of the two. They stupidly thought it was legitimate or at the very least that they could get away with it w/o anyone complaining.