Comcast CableCards in Richmond, VA

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Fedhead, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Fedhead

Fedhead Member

Nov 25, 2004

Advertisements

I have HD Tivo, using the analog Comcast feed. Before I make the switch to Cablecards, I want to see if others in this area have had a tough time making it work. After reading this forum, I am a bit hesitant to make the change. Just calling Comcast to see what channels fall into what package makes my head spin as I get a different answer each time. I am in Hanover County, near Richmond VA. Thanks all.

2. S3HD4KFL

S3HD4KFL New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    I have 3 S3s & 1 HD in Chesterfield. As each system was installed Comcast got better. The HD took less than 30 mins. Around here they seem to have their act together. Adn the best thing is no charge as their billing system can't handle it!!!!!!!!

3. midlomuncher

midlomuncher New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    I live in Chesterfield and the Comcast is killing me!!!

Day 1 - Tech arrives with 2 SA M-cards. I show him the Tivo instructions and tell him we must follow them and do 1 card at a time. He proceeds to put both cards in. Of course, card 1 will not pair and card 2 will not receive some HD channels. His conversation with dispatch resembles one between a special education teacher and a learning disabled student (no offense intended here, just pointing out how them same instructions sometimes have to be repeated multiple times. Tech tells me the channels will come in later and he has to leave.

Day 2 - 2nd tech arrives and replaces card 1 according to Tivo instructions and calls dispatch to hit it. Gets card 1 to pair. So now 2 paired cards and apparently validated but NO ESPNHD or ESPN2HD and maybe other since I have no idea what channels are included in the basic digital/HD service I signed up for. Tech starts to troubleshoot. He replaces the splitter in the box outside house and installs a new shorter coax cable between wall and Tivo. He gets a good signal. He also check the tap outside in the yard and determines that it needs a replacement part as well. That gets fixed. Everything looks good, good signal, paired and validated. Still no ESPNHD.

Day 3, 4 & 5 - I call tech support, on two different days I'm told that I need another truck roll to replace the cards. I ask to speak to a supervisor and I'm told they are busy and will call me back. NO CALL BACK either day.

So, 2 weeks latter, here I sit with no ESPNHD and other channels. Comcast seems neither concerned nor motivated to prevent me from canceling my service and giving Fios a shot. Clearly, you mileage may vary depending on who installs/hits your cards.

My other option is to cancel service all together dump my Tivos and switch to an AppleTV/EyeTV set-up and going out to a bar when something important is on ESPN.

4. Brute

Brute Member

May 14, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    I'm in Henrico. No issues.

5. Fedhead

Fedhead Member

Nov 25, 2004

Advertisements

Well I made the appt for August 6th. Good news is they said no charge for cable cards. We'll see how it goes. Now to read up all the CableCard threads. Any summaries or cheat sheets listed anywhere?

6. S3HD4KFL

S3HD4KFL New Member

Oct 30, 2007

7. spriggan

spriggan New Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Hello,

You can never ever get rid of analog signal from Comcast. Basic/Analog is required for the Comcast to function since their digital service is nothing more than an extension to the Basic/Analog service. Their minimal digital service is digital starter. What it is Basic/Analog + Comcast's digital cable box converter. So, if you have multiple cable-ready TVs (analog TVs) and cable outlets in your house, you can just plug those TVs into the outlets to see all of your analog channels.

Even if the CableCard installation fails, you still get analog channels on the S3 TiVo once you pull the CableCards out.

8. Fedhead

Fedhead Member

Nov 25, 2004
    just to follow up ....

last wed, a comcast contractor came out and installed the cable box and phone, but said contractors were not allowed to do cable cards. A call to comcast scheduled an appt for the next day. No one came. On sat, an " in house tech" came by and it took about an hour for him to get the cable card working and most of that time was waiting on the phone for comcast to answer.

So far so good. I am pleased and should have done this sooner.

9. rmeredith@pa.ne

rmeredith@pa.ne New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Anybody get a cablecard in Richmond lately? Do they use mcards or will I have to have qty=2? How are the techs that come out? What are they charging for the cards?