Comcast CableCard Nashua, NH question

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by saz25, Oct 13, 2007.

1. saz25

saz25 New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Hi,
    I am a Comcast customer. I'd like to replace my existing Comcast/Motorola HD box with the new Tivo HD box. Does a technician need to actually come out to the house to install this? Can't I just go to a local Comcast walk-in center and pick up cablecards?

I can return my comcast/motorola box and save $5 a month and then get 2 cablecards. I understand the first one is free, but the second is $2.75 a month. Is that what others are seeing?

I'd prefer to set up everything myself. I really hate when thee guys come out to the house.

Comments?
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve

2. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    That's what I pay in Boston and my Father pays in NH. For the time being, Comcast is still requiring a physical install. They charge something like $37 to have a tech come to your house and call in the serial numbers. Just like when cable boxes first came out.

3. saz25

saz25 New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Thats what I thought. It seems stupid to require a technician to come out here for a 2 minute job. The issue I have is that when they schedule the appointment they give you a 3-4 hour window and I always need to either leave work early, go in later, so that I'm here.

The last time I needed a new box because it died, I just went to the local comcast store. I was hoping to do this for the cards too.

thanks,
    Steve

4. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    At least in this area, you can request a Saturday. They moved me on a Saturday afternoon. The guy was here until 5PM, which surprised me. The only problem with that is they might be booked up for a few weeks. But you could ask for a Saturday to see.

5. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I'm in the Tacoma Wa area. I was able to go to the office and pick up the cable cards and install them myself. The first card I didn't even have to call it in before it worked.
    This is probaly by area that will allow you install the cards.

6. David Knowles

David Knowles Member

Apr 8, 2005
    I had two cable cards installed last week in Nashua. The first one is free and the second is $1.50. Installation is $16.99. Was very painless. Took about 30 mins.

7. brikelly

brikelly New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Steve - I live in Nashua too, and had a Comcast guy come out to install them for me just this week. He even brought MCards rather than SCards, which helped it get done faster.

It went really well, and the guy who they sent out was very knowledgeable about HD TiVos and CableCards. Ask for Jason (you can request specific service guys) if you can.

- Brian

8. rucka

rucka Member

May 14, 2007
    Make sure that the Technician has more than just the 2 cards with him. They had a MAJOR quality control issues a few months ago when we got our S3's 'installed' and be aware it CAN be a lengthy process if you have cards not behaving, for want of a better word....

In the Boston Market...

9. wdwms

wdwms Member

Jan 10, 2003
    I'm in Milford here... just got our TivoHD today (I've had an S3 for about 9 months now). I called Comcast around noon and they are having an installer come tomorrow 1-3pm. Tomorrow is Sunday! Crazy.. now lets see how good the "tech" is.. this week they were here fixing the CC's in my S3, took them 2 hours to execute the re-pairing of the cards.

-t

10. PooperScooper

PooperScooper Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Leominster, MA
    If only I can be so lucky tomorrow morning when the tech is scheduled to come. :)

larry

11. gostan

gostan Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Boston
    Larry:

Are you having CC's for TivoHD installed?

I have an issue with the CC's Comcast installed for my TivoHD a couple of weeks ago. Basically, I am not receiving all stations. Everything is A-OK on my S3.

I think that issue is related to the installer claiming that he had to install two CC cards for the TivoHD to work with Comcast system. And I think he installed one M-CArd and one S-card.

Still trying to get to the bottom of it, but Comcast computer network is down due to updating last evening.

Good Luck,

Stan

12. wdwms

wdwms Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Tech called 1 hr before the time "we don't have the part... call and reschedule, i'm not coming"... grrr, got a $20 credit and now comcast tells me that normally there is a 4-day "waiting" period so that the techs can "prepare" for a cable card installation. I told her BS, and she rescheduled me for tomorrow.. this should get even more fun..

-t

13. gostan

gostan Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Boston
    Comcast computers finally came back up.

And a reauthorization of the CC's fixed my issues.

At least for now.

Stan

14. PaulS

PaulS Active Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Southern NH
    Yup. I agree with everything that's been posted in this thread. It's unfortunate, but mandatory, that the tech needs to come out to install the cards. In reality, all they do is make a phone call to their back office and read off the numbers to the guy on the other end of the phone. That's it.

There were definitely quality control problems with the early S-Card supplies. Not sure if that's still the case with the M-Cards. Have 'em bring extra cards, for sure. That way, should any of the cards be DOA, you should still be OK and not have to wait for yet another tech visit to get your TiVo up and running.

15. wdwms

wdwms Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Tech is supposed to be here between 11am and 1pm.. we'll see how this goes today, having a single M-card installed in our new TivoHD...

-t

16. saz25

saz25 New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, indeed I confirmed with Comcast that they need to come out and install/register the cards. I also found out that with the cable cards I will not be able to view Ondemand and other comcast PPV services.

Does TivoHD support a direct Comcast set top box (non cable card) connection. I am trying to find a user manual for the TivoHD to see if I can connect the comcast box directly to Tivo. Wouldn't that require TivoHD to have component video inputs and outputs?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

17. saz25

saz25 New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    I think I found the answer to my own question while looking deep into the tivo site. YOU MUST GET CABLE CARD(S). The box does not support a direct connection to a cable box. Oh well, that answers my question.

The TiVo HD DVR does not support a connection to an external cable box. To receive digital cable channels, you need at least
    one CableCARD decoder. To watch and record two channels at the same time, you need either one Multi-Stream
    CableCARD decoder, or two Single-Stream CableCARD decoders.

Thanks,
    Steve