Comcast Cablecard compatibility

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by irishcon1, Sep 6, 2020.

1. irishcon1

irishcon1 New Member

Apr 18, 2010

Advertisements

I’m on my 3rd TiVo Series 2, having used them since 2004 but have only had an HDTV since February. I’ve been considering buying a TiVo Premiere with lifetime off Ebay but after seeing a number of posts about people having difficulty with Comcast Cablecards I’m wondering whether I’ll wind up with an electronic paperweight.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Premiere is a Series 4. All Tivos starting with Series 3 needs a cable card to access cable channels.

3. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    go to the local comcast office and try picking up the cablecard and having it added first, before pulling the trigger on a purchase (with a return policy) - if later on they can't (or won't) activate it, you can return the tivo and the card, and you won't be out much for your efforts.

krkaufman likes this.
  4. irishcon1

irishcon1 New Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure whether an Ebay seller would accept a return unless the unit was defective but I'll look into it.

5. jeffsinsfo

jeffsinsfo Member

Oct 15, 2005
    San Francisco

Advertisements

I can attest that Comcast cable cards work with a functioning Premiere since I used a Premiere XL4 before getting a Roamio. When I got the Roamio I moved the cable card to it from the Premiere without much effort (unlike my initial experience with a Series 3 and two cable cards which Comcast struggled to get properly set up).

Assuming the Premiere is fully functional and Comcast in your area is still providing cable cards (and I assume they are, at least for the time being), then it should work. Just be aware that the Premiere's user interface is a little slow to respond to user input; that is the only reason I upgraded to a Roamio years ago as I found myself frustrated at having to wait after every remote control button push.

6. irishcon1

irishcon1 New Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Thanks, I hadn't thought about a Roamio. I'll look into it.

JandS likes this.
  7. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I'm on Comcast with a 4 tuner Premier and all is well. I've switched to SD menus and the box zips along quite nicely.

8. irishcon1

irishcon1 New Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Thanks, good to know.