Comcast cable cards San Jose

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by whateverman, Sep 13, 2006.

1. whateverman

whateverman RUwTHS

Sep 12, 2006

Advertisements

So yesterday I called Comcast and they said to just go down to a distribution center and pick-up the cards and self-install -Sweet!

However, when I arrived at the LG center, there was confusion:

1. They wouldn't hand over the cards, a tech needed to come out to install. Main reason sited was that the first gen cable-card compatible TV's had major difficulties communicating between the TV and Comcast, therefore to save so many headaches with phone customer service, Comcast made it a mandatory "tech install".
    2. There would be a $16 install fee. (Makes sense when you have a tech come out to service. No big deal, I just spent 800 bucks on the box. 16 bucks more isn't going to make me cry.)
    3. The second cable card would cost me an extra $6.95 per month. (Comcast here views the second card as a second potential "box" that theoretically could be used in a second TV and therefore is considered a second system. However, if I gave up my current Comcast box (which I will), the second card then becomes free. Why, I haven't a clue and neither did the CS folks in LG). BUT, when I mentioned that I would be giving up my current Comcast box they then told me that if i did this, it would break the "bundle package pricing" that I currently get -I get Cable, HBO, Internet, HD, etc. for $90 per month.

Bottom line: I witnessed them searching for info within the Comcast CS site and they could not find any "real" info regarding the cable cards. As well, there was absolutely zero info on the S3 or Tivo as a whole. I don't fault the Cs folks; they were actually quite helpful and interested in knowing what is going on with TiVo/Comcast/Cable cards issues. Who I do fault, to some extent, is Tivo for not having their "ducks in a row" with Comcast regarding the S3 release and Cable cards installs. After all, Tivo does have a business relationship with Comcast so why they didn't anticipate this fall-out is beyond me. Comcast CS should have been well prepared to handle the S3. I know the cards are a simple user install issue but I also understand the older generations of cable card compatible TV may have been a legitimate issue but given the new S3 is Cable card certified, should have made this "tech install only" not necessary.

So now I will wait for my Comcast tech to arrive to install my cards. This will be fun actually because it will give me the opportunity to quiz the heck out of him to find out what he/she knows technically as well as what insider info he/she may have about the Tivo requests. In the end, i am sure it will all work out...patience is the key so hang in there!!

2. pyrosas

pyrosas New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I have mine schedule to be installed next Sat (9/23) with 2 cable cards. The first online chat rep doesn't seem to know what she is doing. The second one I chatted to handled everything perfect, according to her, both card is free. Now I can get rid of that horrible Comcast STB.

Anyhow... just got the S3 setted up yesterday with OTA (bad reception, unless I put the antenna at some odd location) and normal expanded cable.

3. Granzella

Granzella New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    You shouldn't have to pay for a second card with comcast. I'm in the Bay Area and I ordered 2 yesterday from comcast with no charge.

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    whateverman,

Sadly, it sounds like you got a bad rep. The Series3 is very new, so it's probably going to be a few weeks before the representatives understand the product.

Comcast corporate policy dictates that every digital cable subscriber is entitled to the digital set-top box OR CableCards for one TV outlet at no extra cost. Both CableCards are "married" (tied) to whatever they are activated in, so they can't be moved to other boxes without a call to Comcast. CableCards for additional TVs cost extra.

Sounds like they were confused to me.

5. whateverman

whateverman RUwTHS

Sep 12, 2006

Advertisements

This is funny, I am reading the inconsistencies elsewhere from being charged for 2 cards, charged for one cards, not charged at all etc...
    There must be a way to find out exactly the what the policy is from Comcast and/or Tivo (maybe some brave Tivo rep can clear this up with Comcast and then give us some reference number or something that identifies a "no-charge" policy.
    I figured once I get the cards installed I can always renegotiate this issues with Comcast. I'm always changing plans/packages with them anyway to get the best deals ongoing...
    But needless to say, big confusion overall that should be addressed. I am sure Tivo montiors these boards, whether the act on our behalf is a different story.
    Maybe if I simply ordered the cards instead of going to the distribution center, then placing the order I could have avoided the extra card cost issue. Initially, the person I spoke with over the phone also said -no extra charge-...maybe that is key. I would still watch your bill once you get them or would be interested in knowing once they are installed, if Comcast tries to hit you up for an extra charge.

6. whateverman

whateverman RUwTHS

Sep 12, 2006

Interesting, this bit of info I will keep at hand and use when they come to install the cards.

7. whateverman

whateverman RUwTHS

Sep 12, 2006
    Ha! I just got off the phone with Comcast and not only am I getting the cards for free, but I can also rid my life of their STB without "breaking" my package deal.......
    Lesson learned, order and schedule through the CS on phone and do not go through the distribution centers...thanks bkdtv

8. shady

shady Previously European TCF Club

May 31, 2002
    Morgan...
    When is your installation? the best I could get in San Mateo is Sept 26th

9. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    Talked to a guy named Mark who was having a "Comcastic day" (his words, not mine) and he told me there would be a $15.99 installation fee and the two cable cards would be free.

10. whateverman

whateverman RUwTHS

Sep 12, 2006
    Shady,
    My install date is Sept. 23. However, they did say that I can call back tomorrow or everyday for that matter to see if there has been a cancellation which may get me a install date sooner rather then later. Oh I will call, you can bet on that and as long as I stay friendly and joke around a bit with them, I don't think they'll get to irate with my pestering them....the one thing I can say for Comcast, at least where I live, is that they have always been very friendly to me....

11. pyrosas

pyrosas New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I am getting charged 28 dollars for install and I am in San Francisco. Is there a price different between the different location?

12. agamjl

agamjl New Member

Dec 24, 2003
    tivo 3 with lifetime or monthly?