Comcast, Cable Cards and Series 3

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by cekauzl, Sep 13, 2006.

1. cekauzl

cekauzl New Member

Sep 5, 2006

Advertisements

Just had an email exchange with the upstanding, caring and ever-competent CSR's of Comcast of Central Pennsylvania. Here's the damage:

1) First cable card is free (woot woot)
    2) Second cable card will incur a "second outlet" charge of $8.90 PER MONTH(!)
    3) Not allowed to install these myself, but they refused to say what an install would cost or if it would be doubled because of the 2 cards.

I made very very clear that there is only one outlet and one TV and I should not be charged for a second outlet, but they persisted. Seriously though, $8.9 PER MONTH to rent? How much could these little cards possibly cost? Is it possible to just buy one rather than pay this every month? Their STB's only cost $5 per month....and they are valued at $799.

TiVo needs to get into gear and demand cable providers make CC's available and cheap.

My experience with Comcast is that they will give you what you are entitled to (promotions, specials etc) but it often requires several phone calls to find a person who actually is able to give it to you.

2. amjustice

amjustice FINALY HD w/Series3

Mar 9, 2006
    Montgomery, IL
    I heard different things from Comcast, I got a rate of 5.95 (or something along that line) for the second card, I am pretty sure the installation costs were like 20something for the first and 15 something for the second, yes this is rediculious for what they have to do but whatever I am so excited for my Series 3 that I could really care less. My bigger problem is that comcast cant come out to my house until next friday! I am going to be calling them a lot starting this weekend to try and bump that apointment up!

3. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    By phone, they just told me they're free.

We shall see.

4. amjustice

amjustice FINALY HD w/Series3

Mar 9, 2006
    Montgomery, IL
    Looking on some of these other threads it sounds like the best thing you can do is swing by a comcast office and try and pick up your cards there, would save on installation cost and possible monthy costs for the cards. I plan on doing this soon!

5. Zcar78

Zcar78 New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    Pittsburgh

Advertisements

I was told by a Comcast CSR, whom I could tell had no clue what I was talking about, that each card is considered an outlet and I will be charged 5.99 x 2 monthly. I explained that both cards were going into the same device, that sorta threw him off, he then said I would only be charged for one. I am not confident in his answer, I was obvious he wasnt sure.
    Is the Tivo considered one outlet is each Cablecard?
    It would be great to get a clear answer before taking to 800 plunge.

6. batguano

batguano New Member

Sep 10, 2006
    San Francisco
    When I called Comcast, they told me $5/month for the first card and $11.95/month for the second. If this is true, it would (I am not currently a Comcast customer--thinking about switching from DirecTV so I can have an S3) make my total Comcast bill $109/month--compared to $72/month for DirecTV. And you can get their new DVR essentially free. Still, I'd prefer the TiVo interface & features, plus get better picture quality since D* compresses the hell out of everything. But damn, nearly $40/month more on top of $800 initial charge, that's a lot.

7. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I have two being installed on Saturday. Both cards were free, install is $9.95 and the extra outlet fee is $7.95/m. If I return the STB the $7.95/m goes away.

8. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I did this a few months ago to be ready for the S3. I got Digital service with HBO, Starz and Showtime for $36/m for a year and $100 Amex gift check back as a DTV upgrade promotion.