Comcast cable card use until 2031?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mcf57, Dec 30, 2020.

1. mcf57

mcf57 Member

Oct 19, 2012
    PA

Advertisements

I can't remember what thread here I read this, but I think someone stated Comcast plans to allow use of current cable cards until at least 2031. Through some sort of Comcast/TiVO settlement agreement. Is this correct?

I have 2 Roamios and 2 minis that work great. I only use them to occasionally record local and cable access channels for a certain project (long story). My main TV watching habits are through my DirecTV and streaming apps.

When I heard the FCC no longer requires cable companies to support cable cards, I started thinking my days with my Comcast TiVO cable cards were numbered. Looked into alternative methods of being able to record my local access channels (& then transfer them with pyTivo and/or kmttg). However, if its not gonna be turned off for AT LEAST another 10yrs, I guess I can relax a bit.

I realize they won't be handing out new ones, but is this true for current Comcast cable card customers? Also, if I need to change TiVos, will I be able to pair a current cable card into a new Tivo (Bolt, Vox, Edge, etc)?

2. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Member

Jul 23, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I got 2 new cards yesterday at the Xfinity store. Though they can move on from cable cards, they still have to provide a software mechanism to unlocking channels for 3rd parties. This is going to be a long road as there are still plenty of boxes out there running with cable cards (plenty of the Xfinity boxes have cable cards in them) enjoy your TiVo!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

chiguy50 likes this.
  3. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    no

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    My condo building just did a Comcast "upgrade" where everybody was given new X1 DVRs. Fortunately, I was allowed to keep my TiVo.

5. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ

Advertisements

Comcast currently offers a software mechanism for Roku, Fire TV and Samsung TVs, which is probably “good enough” for how prevalent those devices are.

That said it doesn’t cost Comcast to support cableCards, though Comcast has been moving more channels to IPTV only which won’t work on Tivo. As such at some point, Tivo won’t be able to tune enough channels to make it useful.

I will say I was surprised that starting next month Comcast won’t charge for CableCards on additional TVs (at least in my area). They were charging $4.95 a month.

6. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Check back next month. You may find that they no longer charge $4.95 for cable card, but turn around and add an "additional outlet" fee of $10/month. They did that to me last August, but we're in different regions so who knows...

7. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    It's not required to be backward-compatible with Cable Cards. It could be as simple as their Roku app (and IMO likely will be).

8. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle
    Should say will not work on the current Tivo models.

9. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle
    Maybe you saw it in the first post of: Comcast Moving Channels to IPTV

10. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    That kind of goes without saying as Tivo hasn’t announced any new models that will work with IPTV, at least none that can be bought by consumers. I would be very surprised if Tivo develops a new cable box in the future.

11. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Of course, that doesn't preclude updated software for existing TiVo boxes. I used to download Web video channels on my Roamio until they disabled that feature.

12. southerndoc

southerndoc TiVo Fanatic

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    TiVo has to be working on an IPTV solution. I just don't see how they would stop development of their platform.

ufo4sale likes this.
  13. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    You have a lot more confidence in them than I do.

PSU_Sudzi and mrsean like this.
  14. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Tivo can’t just add IPTV. They need to partner with cable companies and Tivo has no clout these days.

Considering they announced a cooperation plan with Comcast 6.5 years ago to support IPTV with nothing to show for it and that 4 of those years involved Tivo and Comcast suing each other, I would say it’s highly unlikely Tivo will ever have a working IPTV solution.

Comcast, TiVo May Ditch the CableCARD | Light Reading

tim1724, slowbiscuit and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  15. CommunityMember

CommunityMember Active Member

May 22, 2020
    Continued support is not required under any agreement. That agreement was about IP (Intellectual Property such as patents, licensing, etc.) and settles long standing litigation across many years between the two companies, and the agreement settles past claims and will continue for the next decade.

Support of CableCARDs may (and almost everyone expects will) continue for some time, but there is no contractual obligation to do so.

chiguy50 likes this.
  16. CommunityMember

May 22, 2020
    Now that Comcast has finally opened the door to let their Fire TV app go free (and such apps were (strongly) rumored to exist for Fire TV, Android TV, and Apple TV to go along with the Roku and Samsung TV apps along with their mobile apps) it is almost a certainty that the Android TV app will appear reasonably soon(ish), which means that the TiVo Stream should be able to run the Comcast app (again, soon(ish)).

As far as the classic TiVo STB is concerned, I would not really expect such an app to be developed. There are a (relatively) minuscule number of TiVo customers compared to all the streaming platforms, so it would likely only be a negative ROI to develop and support such an app, especially for a platform whose reported customer numbers (the last time such reports existing) were shrinking.

chiguy50 likes this.
  17. kmitch

kmitch New Member

Dec 21, 2020
    I just added a second cable card and it is being charged as a "additional outlet" at $10/month. This is in Northern California (San Jose) area. The cost of my first cable card is included in my Comcast bundled services.

18. convergent

convergent Active Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    No, I don't think that is correct or even reasonable to assume now that the FCC has backed off on forcing them. No disrespect intended, but you are straddling two sinking ships there with Tivo/cablecards and DirectTV. It might be time to think about a new long term strategy. I got out of Tivo a few years back because Spectrum had become so unreliable that I couldn't get any work done, and thankfully was able to sell off all my Tivo gear for pretty good $$$. I'm now using Channels DVR with combination of live TV sources (OTA, streaming providers) and am quite happy and prepared for whatever comes next. There are lots of good alternatives now.

19. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Yes, I find that VERY interesting. I might go to the local Comcast store and try to get another cable card. See if it actually costs nothing, for the card and outlet. Have a few Tivos would not mind putting in cable cards if no cost............. It was like $10 for additional outlet and $5 credit for the cable card, net 4.95. Now could/should be zero. Until they figure it out I guess ;)

20. CommunityMember

May 22, 2020
    Your location will vary, and depends on the status of your regions offering "SImple and Easy" pricing, *along* with your current bundle. If you have an existing bundle (which you do not want to break) you may find there are different options/fees available (old pricing) than if you are in a "Simple and Easy" bundle (new pricing). Some people have reportedly saved money by moving to a "Simple and Easy" bundle, and some have found staying on their current bundle is the best.