Comcast billing surprise

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by SNJpage1, Jun 22, 2009.

1. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...

Advertisements

I returned my comcast dvr after getting my new tivoHD. While I was there I asked if there was any way to lower my monthly bill besides what I was saving by returning their dvr. They said I should call their 800 number and talk to the people there since they have more info about packages. I did just that and got a really big surprise. I had been paying for cable service and internet service only, had my phone thru Verizon as a retired employee for $11 a month. The customer service person said if I added comcast phone service I could get a triple play package and keep everything I have now plus have phone service and it would be $31 a month cheaper than what I was now paying for just cable and internet service. I would also get a HD cable box for free as part of the package. I told him to sign me up. I am going to drop the Verizon service and end up saving $41 a month. I am going to connect the free HD box to my set up so that I can get comcast ppv and on demand and connect it to the other input on my receiver which acts as a switcher for my TV. Some times it pays to ask about prices.

2. Das Achteck

Das Achteck Member

Mar 8, 2005
    Comcast may have another surprise or two for you. At least some regions say that either the first cablebox OR cablecard is free and you have at least one cablecard in your TiVo. Second, you may find that the triple play rate is a six month teaser and will go up in the future. My experience is that you cannot believe what the reps tell you; the only thing that counts is what the computers that read the billing codes entered by the reps charge you.

3. Claudia Watts

Claudia Watts New Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Hi, I am going to be a new owner of a HD Tivo and I'm looking ahead to getting service (I guess) with Comcast and installing the cable cards into my Tivo to be able to receive more channels. I haven't called Comcast yet......thought I'd try to find out some cost for service and the cable cards from someone on the Forum. Can someone help me with this, please?

4. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    The cable card (you only need one M-Card) will be only a couple of dollars a month, maybe $3. You'll probably have to pay for them to install it, maybe $30.

5. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

The big surprise Comcast has for you is when the promotional period is over and your bill is $139 a month.

Keep your POTS line in any case. Just add a line.

Can't you get a concession on Verizon FIOS TV?

6. Claudia Watts

Claudia Watts New Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Hi, would you happen to know the monthly cost for having Comcast? My husband & I are retired and have a limited funds. We purchased the HD Tivo and use the Antenna to connect. Would like to be able to receive more channels through Comcast cable company at the lowest price possible. Any ideas?

7. jlib

jlib Lean Forward

Nov 21, 2002
    Carmel...
    Just go to comcast.com and look at the packages that are available for your zip code. If lowest price is the only consideration then get the cheapest package. Otherwise just compare the channels available in each package to the channels you want. And watch out for teaser rates or free stuff that cycles to full price after a period of time.

8. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    When i got my triple play I also got a 2 year contract (and $150 check back for the 2 year contract). My friend contract was just up and now Comcast offered him a 3 year contract that he has taken, 2 to 3 years is out of the teaser range I think. (This is for Hartford CT, other places may differ)

9. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Comcast allegedly has a promotional rate around $45 for a one or two year commit.

My bill would be around $80 a month for TV only pre-tax without HBO for a single TiVo. (And no, I don't pay a monthly for CableCARDs) They make you pay for "digital" service. The rates are nuts. My last bill: $111.

I will be calling for deal ASAP.

10. jlib

jlib Lean Forward

Nov 21, 2002
    Carmel...
    You're right. I was thinking along the lines of 3-6 months. And I didn't meant to imply one should not jump on even those offers but just be aware exactly what is being offered.

11. yukit

yukit Member

Jul 23, 2005
    I think I am already paying around that much for my triple-play without any premium channels. I think the regular rate is $189 after the promotional period is over in Oct.

The phone service will be the first to go. I probably won't play the promo-game any more. I am looking to switch to something else (still keep the Tivos though).

12. SNJpage1

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    The rate I got is not a promtional rate. It is the regular existing subscriber rate. It is listed in the booklet they sent out for the rates starting may of 2009. It is called the Comcast preferred plus triple play with speed tier for $139. There are too many things to list here but it can be found at their web site. Its phone, internet, and HD service.

13. mchief

mchief Morey

Sep 10, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    The only thing to keep in mind with Comcast is bend over. They will get their pound of flesh.

14. WinHac

WinHac New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    I got the 6mb internet , digital tv package with Hd and HD box and cable card for 104$ a month for the next year.

15. SNJpage1

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    WinHac, did you get this rate as an existing customer or as a new sign up?

16. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    Call comcast and ask for the customer retention department. Tell them you got an offer from Verizon for all three service for much cheaper (try $100), and say you are unhappy with your comcast bill. They will give you a lot of money saving options.

17. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    Yoy have limited founds, but bought a tivo?

18. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Just a warning, but if you have frequent cable problems (ie, modem goes offline), you will have phone problems if you sign up for triple play.

19. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    For many people the cell phone is a good backup

20. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I recently had a Comcast billing surprise of my own. They lowered the cost of my internet by $40/month. I have to say, I didn't see that one coming. :)