Comcast basic cable & Tivo HD

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by BsyGrl, Aug 10, 2007.

1. BsyGrl

BsyGrl New Member

Oct 16, 2004

Advertisements

:confused: I'm considering buying a TivoHD, but I'm confused about Comcast's channel lineup and how it will work with the Tivo. I only want basic cable, but I have one HD tv, so I want the HD channels that I could get from an antenna (but I don't want to go throught the hassle of installing an antenna). Comcast lists the OTA HD channels as available in their basic lineup for $16.42/mo (in Houston). However, they tell me I can't recieve those channels unless I upgrade to a digital service package, the lowest of which is $55.99/mo. Why list the HD channels in the basic lineup if there is no way to get them?!!!

Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but can't I just order the basic lineup and plug the cable into the TivoHD and tune to the HD channels? I mean, the TivoHD has two tuners and HD capability, does it not? Obviously, I just don't understand. Please help.

2nd question: My HD plasma has no internal tuner. This was no problem in the past, since we just used the tuner on the cable company's DVR. If I decide to dump the cable company and install an antenna, will the TivoHD serve as a tuner the same way the cable DVR did, or will I need to buy an external tuner?

Thanks!

2. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    You posted in the DirecTV HDTV Tivo Powered PVR section. Also known as the HD DirecTivo. The models we discuss here will only work with DirecTV and OTA.

You need to look at the HD Tivo section a few up from this one. Search for QAM mapping to find the answers on getting unencrypted local HD via cable. Installing an antenna can be easy or difficult but that depends on your location. You didn't list that so we can't be much help there. And the HD Tivo has a pair of ATSC tuners so it will work fine with an antenna. No internal ATSC tuner needed.

-Robert

3. BsyGrl

BsyGrl New Member

Oct 16, 2004
    Oops! I didn't notice the "DirecTV" in the forum title. Guess I was in a hurry...

Thanks for your very informative reply.