Comcast and using a splitter

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Stormydog, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010

Advertisements

I have tried to research this issue beforehand so I would be ready when Comcast forces my switch to all digital signals. They finally switched March 8. Now my S2 no longer works at all.

All if the information here states you can have a splitter and hook the DTA to line that goes to the S2. This is the same setup I had with analog except I am directed to insert the DTA between the wall outlet and the S2 cable in.

Also I have to use the IR emitters. I tried to set this up and the DTA just blinks. No video. Ran Guided Setup nothing helps. I check the Comcast web site and they say this about splitters:
    You may think you need a splitter but to ensure no noise signal interference, Comcast requires installation of a data outlet in a secondary location.

Hey Tivo users, anybody using Comcast ran across this? Does this mean Comcast has to run a seperate line for the DTA and S2? What if I have another S2, like two s2 to use?
    Running a seperate video line for every DTA for each S2 is a bunch of crap.
    Wanted the Tivo community using Comcast to be aware. Any advice? Right now my S2 are useless.

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Did you connect the DTA to a TV first (no TiVo involved) and phone Comcast to activate the DTA?

Despite the name "Digital Transport Adapter" the thing isn't some type of filter that magically changes digital to analog.

All it is is a cheapo cable box that can tune digital channels and output them in a format an analog device can use.

Since it's a cable box, it has to be activated. That's how Comcast does things now.

Once you know it's working at all, THEN put the TiVo between the DTA and the TV, and do Guided Setup on your TiVo as you would with any cable box.

3. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I have two DTAs and had them authorized probably at the end of February. I did unhook this DTA from where it was, and was hooking it up do a different location. Certainly it does not need to be reauthorized if the DTA is moved to another TV or device. At least I hope not.

I can take this DTA to another TV and ensure that it works. I will let you know.

What do you make of the Comcast comment on using a splitter?

4. telcoman

telcoman Telcoman

Dec 27, 2007
    Central NJ
    The splitters attenuate the digital signal causing all kinds of problems

I eliminated all splitters with home runs from every TV

Comcast then installed two of their 6 port splitters in the basement along with their amplifier and took signal measurements at my TIVO's.
    I have had no more signal problems. I do not use the DTA's that they gave me.
    My three Series 3 TIVO's all have a single M Card

5. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...

Advertisements

The problem with most splitters you buy at home improvement stores is the loss they have. A 2 way has a 4 db lost and a 4 way is as high as 7. When you start to piggy back then the loss thru each one are added together. So if you have a 4 way in the basement and one leg from that goes to a 2 way you have now incerted 9 db of signal lost. Best thing to do is to buy a amplified 8 port splitter and run home runs to each device. I have one room where I ran 3 home runs to the same spot.

6. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    The stuff about the splitters is BS. I have two Tivos, one HD and one S2 both setup in the living room using a splitter. The blinking light on the DTA means you need to have it reauthorized. Switching it from one room to another disrupts the service requiring it to be reactivated. I had this problem when I set mine up. I unplugged it to move it and then it wouldn't work so I had to call Comcast again.

7. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Thank you all for your feedback. It did help me with this problem.
    I kept the 2 way splitter, had the DTA sent a signal from Comcast (gives more of a push from Comcast than power off/on)and the DTA started working.
    I agree, using splitters do degrade the video signal. However, I have to use my S2 just as a backup in case I need to record a show and the Premier tuner is recording. I am using the Premier as primary for sure.

I dont know what finally did it, but I ran guided set up probably 5 times and 2 reboots. and it finally progressed to the IR Emitter testing. Failed at first, then reported success. I dont like using emitters as they can be bumped and lose their ability quite easy. Cant see any lights flash on them to know they are doing anything. The curved top of DTA is kind of hard to keep the emitters aligned as they bend together at the 1 1/2" placement. I dont have any experience with them so all I know is at one point I got it to work.

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Have you tried running the emitter under the DTA, perhaps securing it to the cabinet or shelf with tape, or a little RTV silicone sealant, and aiming it up at the DTA's sensor? I recently saw a picture somewhere online of that setup, so I'm not the genius here.

9. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010
    My emitters have two probes (dont know what they are called) I taped one on the bottom and one on the top of the DTA. The curved top aims the emitter toward the bottom and at the 1 1/2" mark they meet together. I have no experience with them and thought I must use both to ensure they get recognized. I guess I can experiment with just one on the bottom and see if that works.

10. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    One should work just fine. I think that was actually recommended somewhere. I use one on top of the DTA and then have an XBox controller battery pack on top of it to hold it in place. No problems.

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That sounds like the cable that same with the TCD649080, the Series 2 stand alone double tuner.

I haven't had occasion to use it, but apparently it's designed in a "Y" configuration so that you can control two different components as long as they're close enough together.

You do know that TiVos also emit/re-transmit IR remote commands out the front of the unit as well? If your TiVo and DTA are positioned "right" relative to each other and the stuff around them which might reflect IR, you might not even need the wired emitters.

12. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010
    It would be great if I could control another DVR with the second emitter lead. I might try that as I need 2 more emitters. One for another S2 and one for Replay TV.

Wonder if anyone has a line for where to get IR Emitters that work with Tivo that are relatively cheap?

13. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    It has two LEDs to double the amount of light emitted, not to control two different devices. No TiVo can do that.

AFAIK, the Series 1 TiVos were the only models that had an IR blaster on the front panel.

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I yield to your superior knowledge. I may have gotten the two devices notion in part due to the ability of the remote to turn the television on and off and switch inputs and to control either its volume or that of an AV receiver.

15. emp

emp Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I am pretty sure S2 Tivo's allow to control 2 devices if you select that you have cable AND satellite. You can't record from both at the same time but you do need an emitter on each, that is why there are 2.

16. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, Series 2s never had IR blasters in the front. Only Series 1s did.

And yes, the two eye in the IR cable can be used to run two different boxes, but only on single tuner units, and so long as one box is a satellite box, or to increase IR coverage for a one box configuration.