Comcast and SDV

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by JohnnyO, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Jan 8, 2007 #1 of 64
    JohnnyO

JohnnyO Crimper

Nov 3, 2002
    Twin...

Advertisements

As I try to decide my TV programming future, moving from DirecTV to local cable provider (Comcast) and buying a couple TiVo S3's seems be be near the top of my list, but then I read this item about SDV:

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=113263

I'd hate to lay down serious cash for two S3's and two 3-year commitments if the available programming is going to start being trimmed back later this year. I don't suppose TiVo will have any sort of hardware upgrade plan for their S3's...

Sigh. Never easy. Of course, I should be thankful that my life is so good that I have time to worry about TV.

John

2. Jan 8, 2007 #2 of 64
    PhillyGuy

PhillyGuy Member

Mar 12, 2006
    Tivo will not work with SDV channels now or in the future because it would require bidirectional communication which Tivo 3 is not capable of.

However, be glad that you have comcast which has been much slower at adopting SDV than other cable companies, especially Time Warner. In many areas with TWC, all of the new HD channels added are placed on SDV.

3. Jan 8, 2007 #3 of 64
    davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    what about iptv, same issue? They are rolling out UVERSE here in the bay area. curious as to whether the tivo's are compatible or not.

4. Jan 8, 2007 #4 of 64
    PhillyGuy

PhillyGuy Member

Mar 12, 2006
    No

5. Jan 8, 2007 #5 of 64
    petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA

Advertisements

The S2 should work with a uverse STB for SD programming provided that Tivo has the necessary IR codes. The S3 will not work with uverse as is, though software could be added to allow integration with IPTV through the built in ethernet port, as to whether Tivo and ATT would ever agree to that is a different question.

6. Jan 8, 2007 #6 of 64
    davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    thanks!

7. Jan 8, 2007 #7 of 64
    dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    In theory a USB-connected device could be created to attach to the S3 (and the cable line) that in conjunction with a software update could allow a Series 3 to control switched digital video.

8. Jan 8, 2007 #8 of 64
    HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    And the probability that will happen is so low that I won't waste my time considering it.

9. Jan 8, 2007 #9 of 64
    RFEngineer

RFEngineer RF Jockey

Oct 29, 2006
    Hi JohnnyO. Fellow Twin Citiean here.

Like you, I was about 1 RCH away from pulling the trigger on an S3 -- I have an S1 and an S2 currently and enjoy the Tivo interface concepts immensely.

However, with the prospect of Comcast's commitment to rolling out future HD-channels, and "retrofitting" some existing content, using the SDV strategy -- I passed on the purchase.

I did pick up one of their Motorola 3416 DVRs (for what was $10, and is now $13 per month) and other than the fact that it is limited to about 20 hours of HD content, I've had no issues with it whatsoever. It records what I want it to record and looks good on playback. Not to mention it (like its non-DVR brethren) allows access to their considerable HD VOD library, that I must say is getting to be a very attractive feature as they flesh-out their content with that service. Of course, no upfront cost either -- which is always nice.

I'll wait for the S4...

10. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Where are all of those who claimed "its only Time Warner and it will only be fringe channels" now?

11. QZ1

QZ1 New Member

Mar 24, 2003
    S.E. PA
    Well, at AVS Forum it was reported that it was just TWC and a few channels when it started. I don't recall anyone there saying they wouldn't expand the SDV channels. And, I also read a while ago that Comcast was going to implement SDV eventually. Maybe there were different discussions here. :)

12. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The Uverse supposedly works on the Xbox 360, or at least as announded by Bill Gatus of Borg. That should likely open Tivo for such a deal, if they wish to pursue that.

13. mcpa

mcpa New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Has anyone confirmed this with Tivo? CableCard 1.0 spec is based on 2-way functionality, so unless Tivo specifically chose to not enable 2-way...

"When a CableCARD 1.0 module is used with a two-way receiver (e.g., Samsung HLR5067C) that card supports all the necessary two-way functionality for VOD, SDV, and other interactive services."

This is from the cablecard_primer at opencable

...still on the S3 fence

14. Forcelite

Forcelite New Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Ohh no we are on a sinking ship!!!!!

Man I should have waited to get the new $800 gadget.

15. tomryan

tomryan New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    if it wasn't enough that we didn't have mrv and ttg, we now miss out on all of the channels..

so really.. the cable companies win, they drag their feet on cablecards and then they realize that SDV is the answer to their "problems".. implement that, and us s3 users (I have 2 of them) are left in the dust..

I can only hope for a usb add on or better (as part of this "comcast" deal with tivo) , comcast agreeing to accept the two way communications over the ethernet in the tivo for those of us who are broadband customers :)

i can only hope

16. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Crimper

Nov 3, 2002
    Twin...
    Howdy Neighbor!

I'm still in SD land with my DirecTVivo. It has a very, very high WAF (Wife acceptance factor). If in my haste to move to HD I mess up our otherwise very workable TV environment, there will be frowns all around.

I guess I'll wait a bit more...

17. oysterhead

oysterhead New Member

Oct 18, 2006
    best reason to buy at costco...

If the S3 is suddenly "out of date", then

I won't get refunded for the 3 yr Tivo price....

But I'll get every dollar back for the S3.

18. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    The spec you should be looking at is the Unidirectional Cable Host spec which states that unidirectional products can't be two-way.

http://www.opencable.com/primer/cablecard_primer.html
    http://www.cablelabs.com/udcp/downloads/DFAST_Tech_License.pdf

19. kemcg

kemcg New Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Davis, CA
    Will the Comcast boxes with Tivo handle the digital switching problem?

I just bought an S3, but have not recieved it yet. I am leary of transferring my lifetime to something that won't work in a year with all of the channels. Maybe I should hold out for the Comcast box. Maaaaaaannn, decisions......

20. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Most MSOs that are currently switching are SA systems. Comcast/TiVo will be launched in Moto systems.

Moto is a bit behind on rolling out SDV so we have some time (but not much). I would guess that the Comacst/TiVo should be SDV compatable by the time Comcast/Moto rolls out SDV.

Edit - as I read my post it sound mostly like gibberish, sorry, hope you get the idea.