Comcast and 3D channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dafish721, Sep 10, 2011.

1. dafish721

dafish721 New Member

Dec 7, 2005
    I called Comcast to activate their two 3D channels and after over an hour on the phone they tell me that my Tivo 3 is not compatible with 3D. I have him log onto his own Comcast website where it shows a picture of all the DVR/cable boxes including my Tivo 3 box as a compatible device. He talks to his supervisor and they also say that I need a new Comcast box and that the Tivo 3 is not compatible. Says when he puts in the code to activate the 3D channels it gives him an error. Anybody have any suggestions.

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    What are the channels?

3. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Active Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I have my Tivo HD working with Comcast 3D. Id just call again and tell them to turn the ch's on. Id imagine the cable card will decode them and It would be up to the box to understand how to send out the picture.

4. jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    It took me 4 phone calls and multiple technicians to get it workin on my Series 3 and Series 4. The techs had enabled on my account but typed in an incorrect code used by their system for the cable cards to decode these channels. I finally got mine working last week. Be persistent, they kept trying to tell me I needed to turn on 3D in the TiVo which we all know I'd not a setting.

Good luck!

5. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Never asked for it, as I only have an SD tv, but I have 2 3D channels in my lineup:

790 espn 3D
    791 comcast/xfinity 3D event channel

Tivo HD, Comcast Atlanta, GA

6. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Fios just added a 3d channel that I have access to (I don't subscribe to ESPN-3d) and it comes across just fine through my S3 in 3d.

On a side note, anyone know about auto-detect 3d format? For both my Verizon STB and my Tivo I have to manually change the tv format to recognize the side-by-side as 3d.

7. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Are you sure the 3D channels are available in your market? Comcast hasn't been able to add the 3D channels for me, but they say that it's because they aren't available in my area yet. They don't seem to care that I have a TiVo.

8. dafish721

dafish721 New Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Comcast in my area (Chicagoland area) has two 3D channels, 333 and 334, Xfinity and ESPN. They are both available and show up in my channel lineup. The customer service people are the ones who don't know what they are doing. I guess I am going to have to keep calling them until I get someone who is competent.

9. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Just showing up in your guide doesn't mean your TiVo is authorized to tune it. On Verizon the ESPN 3D channel is an extra fee. Not saying that is the case for Comcast, just warning not to make an assumption that if it is your guide that you can get it.

10. ldhurley

ldhurley New Member

Jun 20, 2007
    I had my two 3D channels activated two days ago. The first rep told me that they had a special 3d support line which she transferred me to. This guy was smart and had me up and running on 3d in less than a minute. I might add with my Samsung 6450 and my Tivo Series 3 the 3D picture on Comcast is better than some of the movies I have played on Blu Ray.

11. dafish721

dafish721 New Member

Dec 7, 2005
    It took me multiple calls but finally the last call the guy knew what he was doing and in a matter of seconds had the channels activated. They look great!

12. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    I have those in my channel lineup but I don't get a picture if I turn to them.