Comcast Alexandria (VA): Experiences?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Bojangling, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Bojangling

Bojangling Member

Nov 28, 2003
    No. VA

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience with Comcast : Alexandria Virginia? I want to upgrade to the TivoHD but after reading the general comcast thread I am a bit worried.

If anyone has any specific experience with the cablecard in Alexandria VA I would be much obliged.

Do they have M-Cards or only S-cards? Self install or did you have to have the trucks roll? Cost for the card? Anything else I should know?

2. normychas

normychas Member

May 10, 2007
    I have comcast in Arlington but i am about a minute from the border and generally get alexandria techs. I have had fantastic results with the multi card that was installed. My only hickup was that the installer didnt tell me he was trying to install two multi cards which for obvious reasons didnt work. Aside from that small error my techs were very knowledgeable. Dont let the boards scare you of i love my tivo hd and am getting ready to throw a 750 gig drive into it. The only issue i have ever had is that twice i have had to restart to get channels back. But almost no pixelation what so ever and definitely no more than through my regular box. Full steam ahead and good luck

3. dbolt

dbolt New Member

May 15, 2006
    No help on your issues with Comcast in VA, but I just purchased a TivoHD to enable recording of HD programming from Comcast in PG County Maryland. I have two other regular Tivos and am subscribed to DigitalHD+HBO from Comcast.

The instructions in the Tivo setup says to contact your Cable supplier to obtain one Multi-Stream CableCARD or two Single-Stream CableCARDs.

An email from Comcast tech support said they did not provide Multi-Stream cards, but two single-Stream cards would be provided at no cost to me, just call Customer service to arrange for a technician to install the cards.

You guessed it! When I called Customer service, they said that their CableCards would not work in my TivoHD. A return email to tech support confirmed what Customer service said. I suspect they got their stories together as I made the mistake of identifying the person I spoke with in Customer Service.

My questions, will the CableCARD provided by Comcast control the TiVoHD?

how do I go about getting the necessary CableCARD/s from Comcast?

and can I install them myself or will a Comcast technician have to do the install?

Doug

4. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Yes they will work, just call them and tell them that you need 2 cable cards installed.

You will likely have to have a truck roll in PG County.

5. Bojangling

Bojangling Member

Nov 28, 2003
    No. VA

Advertisements

Appreciate it. Did you have to pay for the install? How much? How much do you pay for your M-Card per month?

I currently pay $69.95 month for digital cable and $11.95 for a DVR. If I go the cablecard route I should be able to ditch the DVR and only pay $69.95, correct? I won't have to pay an additional HD charge, will I? (I currently gett all the HD channels).

6. dbolt

dbolt New Member

May 15, 2006
    Thanks!

I'll give them another call. If I get the same "it will not work" story, I'll try telling them that Verizon FIOS supports CC and I already have FIOS Internet. I probably should switch anyway, but Comcast has been working fine for several years.

7. dbolt

dbolt New Member

May 15, 2006
    To follow up, I tried the Internet Chat approach and got a quick reply, but they said they could not set up an installation. They said call 1-800-comcast and ask for TV sales. I did that and there was no problem. Rob answered promptly seemed to be fully informed about the TivoHD etc. Installation is scheduled for Sept 6.....

8. mchief

mchief Morey

Sep 10, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Bought my THD from CC 8/14 and it arrived 8/16 with Comcast Alexandria showing up 2 hours after I called them. The tech had no idea what he had - an M-Card which he was unable to get working for all channels. After an hour and a half he gave up and left referring the problem to his boss. I called the head-end and had everything working in 2 minutes. Never did hear from his boss. Had the same problem when I put a cable card in my HDTV and still had the number at the headend.

9. normychas

normychas Member

May 10, 2007
    they are giving me a huge run around and trying to charge me more on the hd. I havent gotten an official bill yet but they are trying to soak me for 15 bucks extra for what they call digital services basically cus i turned in my cable box(yes its as absurd as it sounds). I was told by the techs who were very nice that i should call and complain and that if i threatened to cancel my subscription that they will cave and that prices are very negotiable. I pay 15 bucks per truck roll and will be getting my first bill soon and will let you know. My issues are now all billing related and not technical which is i guess fine. You cant prevent comcast from being lazy stupid and greedy. They just want to sit on their existing business infrastructure for eternity and never have to change. Oh well I love my tivo and its worth working through a few small billing issues since it works so fantastically.

10. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    I haven't bought my HDTV yet, so I'm glad you're all getting Comcast - Alexandria "broken in" for me! ;)

I'm hoping to get just the $5/mo HD package without having to take the full digital service (which would bump my bill considerably).

So, any of you Alexandrians getting Comcast HD without taking their digital packages? (Yes, I expect I'll have to pay a little something for the CableCards.)

11. Bojangling

Bojangling Member

Nov 28, 2003
    No. VA
    Great thanks. Please let us know when you get that first bill.

So it seems as though :
    1. Comcast Alexandria does have the M-Card
    2. Truck roll is $15 (in Arlington)
    3. Technicians are proficient

Still need to find out:
    1. The billing policy on the Cablecard

12. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Comcast Alexandria uses Scientific Atlanta CableCards, which currently exhibit pixelization with the TivoHD. A fix is testing now for release in the next week or two.

The TivoHD does work great with the Motorola CableCards used by FiOS in N. VA.

13. Bojangling

Bojangling Member

Nov 28, 2003
    No. VA
    Great info (but bad news). Thanks! :up:

14. Bojangling

Bojangling Member

Nov 28, 2003
    No. VA
    Anyone else?

15. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The problem was fixed with a software update shortly after my last post was made. The TivoHD works great with Comcast Alexandria now.

16. Bojangling

Bojangling Member

Nov 28, 2003
    No. VA
    So, if you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying now and what does that get you?

17. int1

int1 New Member

Jan 4, 2003
    I'm taking the leap to TivoHD - wondering if anyone has more recent experiences with cable cards in Alexandria VA? Do they have M-cards, and are the installers knowledgeable? And are they using SDV?

Thanks!