Combining 2 Tivo's

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by jkc01, Sep 15, 2007.

1. jkc01

jkc01 New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Atlanta
    I have 2 series 2 80 Hour DVR's

I am ready to replace one of them(the Older 1)

Is it possible for me to take the hard drive out of the old and add to the other one?

Thanks

Jason

2. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Yes, go to DVRupgrade buy Instantcake to combine the Drives and a mounting bracket to mount the drive. It may be cheaper at the current price of Drives to buy a 250. It should last between 3 and 5 years. Good Luck whatever you do.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, but not recommended for such small drives.

4. jkc01

jkc01 New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Atlanta
    so let me get this straight, i'm a bit confused about instant cake. since i am combining 2 80 hr drives do i even need it?

should i pull both drives and do the instant cake?

should i do instant only on the new one i'm installing?

or do i just plug the additional one in as a slave and will it run that way?

i am thinking i probably need to pull the one out of both tivo's and then run instant cake, then put back?

thanks for the words of wisdom

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You don't need InstantCake, it just makes things a bit easier.

You'd install both drives in your computer with a CD drive, and run IC or mfstools/mfslive.

Still, I recommend you not do it with small drives (80Gb is small these days). The risk outweighs the benefits.

6. jkc01

jkc01 New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Atlanta
    is there a risk i am not aware of?

7. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Do you want to preserve your recordings on the working TiVo? If so, then Instant Cake is not what you need. Check out www.mfslive.org and get the boot CD (it's free!) and combine the two drives.

To answer your question directly, yes, you can put both drives in one TiVo. But you need some extra hardware to mount both drives in the TiVo, plus a Y-connector to split the power, and possibly another piece of hardware that will start the hard drives in sequence instead of both at the same time, called a powertrip. The power supplies in most TiVos are not designed to power 2 hard drives, at least not on initial startup.

To prepare both drive to be used in your TiVo together, they must be "married" to each other. This requires you to put both drives into a computer and boot up the computer with one of the various mfstools boot CDs (the newest one is available at www.mfslive.org). Then you run the marry command, either mfsadd -x or add -x. Then you put the drives into your TiVo, provided you have the right mounting hardware.

As mentioned before, it is recommended to just have a single large capacity drive in your TiVo, not 2 drives. For several reasons:

1. If one drive dies, both drives are inaccessible to the TiVo. You'll have to reload the TiVo software onto a new drive to get it working again.
    2. More heat inside the TiVo, more chances for something to fail.
    3. Stress on the power supply, could cause it to fail.

Hope that helps,
    robomeister