Combine my tuners from 2 TiVo boxes

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Vicini, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Vicini

Vicini New Member

Aug 28, 2015
    Newark, CA
    I have Roamio Pro and Premiere XL4 in my bedroom. I use the Roamio as primary and use Premiere to record my sports.
    I was wondering if this is even possible. Can I dedicate the 4 tuners on the Premiere to the Roamio so that Roamio could have 10 tuners? I was just curious if that was possible. I know we can dedicate tuners to a Mini's. But could we do the same to another TiVo DVR box.

Scott

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Nope.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, they cannot share tuners, even the Mini only uses a tuner when it wants LiveTV. Its released after 4 hours, or by the Tivo Button.

You can share the recorded shows, however.

4. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Some folks have tried to balance their tuners and passes by keeping some channels unique to each box and having the season passes organized by those channels. As close as you will get.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I do that also. My Premiere with 500GB records 1P for ABC & Fox since they use less space. The Roamio has 1TB, so it gets the biggest load. To watch, I copy the content back to the Roamio.

6. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    It's ridiculous that Tivo hasn't figured out how to manage recordings and now playing lists among multiple Tivo's in one household. My parents have DirecTV and even their crappy DVRs can do it seamlessly. They may not always record all the shows as they are supposed to (that's a different issue) but when they do, you at least get one combined now playing list.

I can finally put a drive into my Tivo and it will format it without having to go through all kinds of prep work, and I can now get streaming crap on my Tivo but enhancements to the core functionality established in 2000? Eh - who has time for that?

7. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Clearly, they went a different direction with adding tuners and minis. So, fewer folks are feeling the need for host boxes and so they are likely feeling less of a need to offer that service.

8. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    There is a difference between not figuring something out, and making a conscious decision not to offer something.

With the availability of six-tuner DVRs, Minis, streaming & transferring, TiVo clearly feels cooperative tuning (which is what you're referring to) isn't necessary. I have three active TiVos with 14 tuners among them, and I agree.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    As it seems that TiVo has taken the Apple iPad route and is choosing to implement user profiles via single-user systems, many multi-TiVo (DVR) owners would likely be annoyed by a suddenly merged "My" Shows listing.

10. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    Meh - I would wager there are enough people out there with more than one Tivo where it would be a good selling point. Indeed, I lost the Tivo argument with a family member and they went with DirecTV precisely because he could have three DVR's and they all act as one.

Who said anything about "suddenly merging" anything? On DirecTV it's optional. As a matter of fact, it costs extra to enable it - and I forget the article I read a few months back talking about it but the vast majority of their subscribers with DVRs pay for it.

If Tivo made it automatic opt-in with no way to turn it off then I would agree - you would probably annoy people who don't care about it. Then again, given that the vast majority of people on a competing system that offers it as a paid option pay for it I think it's safe to wager that you two are probably in the minority on this.

11. mjh

mjh Re: Member

Dec 19, 2002
    As someone who just sold an HDXL + Premeire setup and replaced it with a Roamio OTA + MINI, I can't tell you how much better I like this setup.

* Same number of tuners.
    * One schedule.
    * No xferring between TiVos.
    * Costs less

I do wish there was a device that I could buy that I could attach to my network that simply added tuners. Kinda like an HDHomeRun works for MythTV. But for now, I have two TVs, no conflicts on any of my scheduled recordings and 316hrs of HD recording space. More tuners is currently a theoretical problem, not an actual problem.