Combat Hospital 'Welcome to Kandahar' 6/22/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jschuur, Jun 23, 2011.

1. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I don't watch any hospital dramas any more, and with the summer lull, I thought I'd pick this one up, especially because of the exotic locale.

Seems like pretty standard doctor drama fair so far, but I'll tune in for a while.

For a while there, I wasn't sure if her pregnancy was going to be some kind of overarching story point. Looks like there's still the possibility that something else could be wrong with her.

2. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I thought it was OK and will try it again. So long as it doesn't turn in to some kind of soap opera I'd probably stick with it. I can't put my finger on it but it does seem like I've seen a show exactly like this before.

3. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I only saw the last couple of minutes of this. I noticed that all the medical personnel were wearing side arms. I've never seen that before in actual news footage from Iraq or Afghanistan.

4. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I will ask a friend but I am pretty sure he said, no guns in the OR. He is stationed at the base where this was filmed as an Navy ER MD.

5. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    They did this show 30 years ago. It was a comedy. It was called M*A*S*H. And it would never get on the air now.

6. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Why not? The Korean War was long enough ago that the show had no real controversy.

7. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    It was OK, but it ain't no China Beach.

Now THAT was a great show about a combat hospital...

8. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    +1,000,000 :D :up::up:

Best line of the show: "Pagers? In 2006???" ;):p

They killed Spinner!!! You Bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::eek:

9. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    :up:

I'll keep the SP for Combat Hospital. The only character I didn't like was the Aussie contractor, but I think the writers intended his character to be unlikable. Glad that Bobby got his confidence back. Would have been horrible if he was always a timid wuss.

And speaking of China Beach, wonder if it will ever come out on DVD? I've had it in my Netflix queue for years. I watched the last season it was on TV and saw some reruns, but never really understood the sequence of events.

10. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    I know he's not, but I swear, Hamza Jeetooa (Vans) looks like he's closely related to Bronson Pinchot.

I kept getting a Balki Bartokomous vibe from Vans, especially when Vans breaks out into a big smile. *grin*

--Carlos V.

11. GoodSpike

GoodSpike Active Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I watched the first episode and half the second. This is one boring show, but beyond that, none of the characters are that likable, except maybe the main character.

12. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    So far I like it, just an updated version of MASH. Characters are great.

13. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I like the other new doctor guy too.