Combat Cash 1/25

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MrGreg, Jan 25, 2012.

1. MrGreg

MrGreg New Member

May 2, 2003

Advertisements

There are two new episodes of Combat Cash tonight on Discovery. It's a military focused "pickers" type of show.

In one of the two new episodes tonight, they look for ammo for an M-18 Hellcat tank destroyer. My brother, Steve, owns and restored that tank destroyer, and is featured in the episode as a "customer".

I haven't seen the episode yet, so I don't know what the final cut will or wont show. But from talking to my brother after the fact, it sounds like the reality distortion field will be in full effect. I'll summarize what I know after it airs, and pass on any other questions to my brother, if people are interested.

2. MrGreg

MrGreg New Member

May 2, 2003
    Well that was better than I expected it to be. Here's what was accurately portrayed, and what was fiction:

What they got correct:

- That is a real M-18 Hellcat tank, and my brother (Steve) did restore it. I wish they had shown a picture of it from before he restored it. It runs and drives and shoots. I've driven it.

- They did fire several rounds during the filming.

The fiction:

- That wasn't the first time that tank has been fired. The first rounds through it happened roughly a week prior to filming. Here's the video of the real first shot fired http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox9y5Ixmf9Y. That youtube user has several more videos of the same tank.

- They didn't shoot any of the original projectiles, but rather cast lead projectiles. The real ones are worth too much to fire into a hillside.

- They fired more than 3 rounds during filming.

- They were missing the target on purpose. It's actually very very accurate.

- The "last shot" they showed where the target exploded was entirely fiction. The target was rigged with explosives which were remotely set off. They didn't even fire a round when they set them off because the extractors on the gun broke on what would have been the next-to-last shot. Some creative editing there. It seems a lot of these types of shows like to load up the targets with explosives, which I think is a shame.

And the big one:

- The combat cash guys didn't bring anything to the table except cameras and a script. My brother already had the shells, projectiles, and propellant before they got involved. They didn't find anything. They didn't sell anything. They showed up and filmed, but the "story" was all bogus. They apparently even filmed a negotiation with my brother where they haggled over price on the shells, but that didn't make it into the final cut.

All that said, it was a positive experience, and the guys were fiendly. I wish for shows like this they didn't have to make up the story parts and could do it more like a documentary and just say "lets go see this tank fire and talk about the history of it".

I'll try to answer questions if you've got them, or pass them on to Steve.

3. 2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    I DVR'ed it so I'll get aroud to watching it in a few days I'm sure.

Thanks for the "behind the scenes" info.