Color Problem I can't figure out

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by csh1160, Dec 25, 2006.

1. csh1160

csh1160 New Member

Dec 24, 2006

Advertisements

I've got a strange color issue happening. My wife and I noticed the 'Red' color on our shows recently have turned a brownish/greenish/red, actually not much red in them at all. I'm a big Atlanta Falcons fan and I can't continue watching them in HD while they aren't in their true red jerseys!

It's not a standard color issue with the TV (Panasonic 42" HD TH-42PX20) we've messed around with that. Also, the correct colors are shown when we watch DVDs. Therefore it's got to be the HD TiVo.

We've narrowed it down to something going on with the TiVo Red/Green coloring....but cannot figure out how to correct it. We do have two small children and we are unsure if either of them have been messing with the remote.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I'll move my response down here since you followed my advice and posted in this section

phox

3. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Cake or Death

Jan 2, 2004
    Bartlett, TN
    My HDTivo (6.3c) just recently started doing this. The "red" would seem to shut off. It's not a cabling problem as I have switched the component cables and the problem is still there. If I unplug/plug them in the red is still gone. I have another HD stb hooked up to the A/V unit and when I switch from the HDTivo to the H20 back to the HDTivo the red color is fixed.

It just so happened right around the same time my HDTivo started freezing up and I could either wait 10 minutes and the HDTivo would reboot itself, or I would have to pull the plug in the back.

Possible hard drive problem? My HDTivo is maybe half full.

4. Bugkillah

Bugkillah New Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I notice it from time to time. I press the up arrow until I cycle through back to my original setting, and then it's fine.

5. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004

Advertisements

Could be a component video output problem with the Tivo, or a component input problem with the TV (these sorts of problems are not always limited to the interconnecting cables).

If toggling output rez fixes it for a time, it might be software or OS related, or firmware in the set. If it is constant, that indicates more-likely a hardware issue. Try connecting to a different input.

Very likely not a HDD problem.

6. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Cake or Death

Jan 2, 2004
    Bartlett, TN
    This is the setup I have.

HDTivo and H20 plugged into the Yamaha A/V reciever via component to DVD and DBS inputs respectivelly. Then 1 component out going to the TV.

I've tried switching cables from the H20 and the HDTivo and it still exists. Luckily I haven't seen it in the past few days and hopefully it'll stay that way.

7. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    If you leave all cabling the same and switch the cables connected to the HR10 (at that end only) with those going to the HR20, where does the problem end up? If the problem moves with the switch, suspect the AVR or the TV. If not, suspect the HR10.

Then, try with the AVR out of the loop. No problem? Suspect the AVR. Problem? Suspect the TV. But with 3 sets of cables and an AVR, there are a lot of factors to easily convict with smoking-gun evidence.

The fact that the problem is intermittent may still mean a cabling issue. Completely swap the cables (both ends) between HR10 and HR20 to check those cables, and wiggle each connector vigorously while watching the display. You may also need to do the same between the AVR output cables and another set of cables.

8. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Cake or Death

Jan 2, 2004
    Bartlett, TN
    I've tried everything you mentioned above. I've taken the AV reciever completely out of the loop and the issue is still there. Swapped cables, changed inputs, problem always follows the HDTivo, but never the H20. I called today and they are sending me a "comparable" replacement and there is no need to return my current HDTivo. I should've asked for black since she pretty much told me what I was going to get. :)