College Problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Amidamaruflame, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Amidamaruflame

Amidamaruflame New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    So after moving into my dorm, I found that my TiVo cannot connect to the internet through my school's network. I called my friend and he figured it was a port problem. So my question is: Is there any way to change the port that my TiVo connects through? What port does the TiVo connect through now, because I could also try calling the tech support people and seeing if they could allow me to have access to that port (It's a Series 2 DT)

2. jtlytle

jtlytle Un-Registered User

May 17, 2005
    Sacramento,...
    Do you have a working phone jack in your room, can you use it instead? Call TiVo tech support on how to add "9" in front of number.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Do you have to log onto the network with a web browser? If you do, you have to connect the Tivo through your computer, or arrange with the college IT for that policy be waived on that port.

4. Amidamaruflame

Amidamaruflame New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    we don't have to log in through a browser, but the phone line says no dial tone every time i try and connect. I called the it department, but they need to know what port to open.... if anyone knows what port a tivo uses, that would be really helpful.

5. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    The Tivo doesn't use any special ports. To the network it will look like a standard web browser request.

Perhaps they are using a proxy that the Tivo doesnt like?

6. TVguy85

TVguy85 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    I have experience setting up on a college network. My school requires that all devices be registered on the network. So when you plug in your computer to the network port in your dorm room, you have to register the computer's MAC address with the IT dept. At my school, this is done via the web or by calling the department. See if your school has some kind of MAC address registration in place. if so, all you'll need to do it have your IT department enter your TiVo's MAC address into their database. The MAC can be found in Messages & Settings > Settings > Phone & Network.

7. completlylost

completlylost New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I had the same problem and you need to get a router, just a cheap wired one and then you set that up. Your MAC address for your computer is probably already registered to the network so you need to find that write it down then set up your router without it connected to the internet. Then you get into your router settings by opening a browser and entering the router IP adress default pass should be admin if not your router will probably tell you what it is. Go into advanced settings and select clone MAC address. Input the MAC adress you got from your computer and clone it. Then you should be able to hook the router up to the internet and plug your Tivo into it. This is a very brief explaination and a more detailed one could probably be found online with google.

(easy way: if you can just try plugging the router into the internet and then your computer and it may let you re-register the router for the internet connection then you're good to go)

8. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Completelylost: That might work but you will be double nat'd which can cause problems with applications on the PC.

9. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I am double NATed (by my ISP, and by my router), and have no trouble , except for some file sharing apps, which shall remain nameless.