1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cobra Kai - S1E10 'Mercy' - You Tube Red series

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jsmeeker, May 6, 2018.

1. May 6, 2018 #1 of 73
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I always figured Robby would be in the tournament, but after the events in the last episode, wasn't sure how it would work out. Didn't seem like Daniel was going to enter him any way. But he show up on his own and enters. And of course, he makes it to the finals against Miguel.

Miguel and Cobra Kai win, despite Johnny having a slight change of heart in tactics at the end.

They totally are gonna make a season 2. Just getting going!! We see Miyagi-do ! And Sensi Kreese comes back..

yeah!!

2. May 6, 2018 #2 of 73
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I felt bad for Johnny at the end when Daniel says that he (Johnny) got everything he wanted after Miguel winning the tournament for the Cobra Kai dojo. I mean yeah he got his business running and with prestige coming off that tournament win. But his whole reason to open it up was to try something new to bring his life around and it seemed like he was becoming a nicer person (through many failures of being a jerk). The progression of Hawk was funny, from meek shy boy to outwardly aggressive bad ass. Then Miguel we was so empathetic in the start was a giant jerk at the end.

Seems Sam will start training again. I kind of hope it's not with her Dad seeing how the rivalry is so toxic. Also it will allow maybe her and Miguel mending their relationship and slots him to learn balance.

3. May 6, 2018 #3 of 73
    jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    There just has to be a season 2!

I want to see Sam fight Miguel!

And just as Johnny thought maybe it was time to ease up a bit on the Cobra Kai ways, his old Sensei is gonna come back and mess that all up.

4. May 7, 2018 #4 of 73
    Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Loved it all. :thumbsup:

5. May 7, 2018 #5 of 73
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    My wife and I binge watched the entire season in less than a day. I don't see how anyone who grew up in the 80's wouldn't love this show. What a brilliant idea to make Johnny a sympathetic character. During the final fight I honestly wasn't sure who to root for. Miguel had become kind of a dick, but I really wanted Johnny to be vindicated.

It's going to be very interesting next season with Kreese coming back. I kept waiting for him to appear all season, and I had begun to think we weren't going to see him at all. I can't deny I had chills when they showed the old set of Miyagi's house.

6. May 7, 2018 #6 of 73
    jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I just wonder if Johnny would have told Miguel he didn't need to fight dirty if the opponent had not been his son.

7. May 7, 2018 #7 of 73
    Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I thought for sure Robby would try the handstand kick at the end. Why even bother introducing it if they're not going to use it?

8. May 7, 2018 #8 of 73
    jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I did too. I figured with one bum shoulder he would do the one handed hand stand. He did a two handed version of it.

But I guess the point there was that Miguel (and more importantly, Cobra Kai) had to win.

9. May 8, 2018 #9 of 73
    zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    He did use it. He had a 2 footed kick near the end when he was on the ground, the fight announcer even commented on it.

10. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Yep. He definitely used the handstand kick during the fight.

11. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Wasn't it a different version of it? It didn't look quite like I was expecting it to look. Guess I should re-watch it.

12. Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Yeah it was more of a flip kick than handstand kick.

13. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    Now I not only want S2, but another reboot in 10 years, where Daniel has been left by his wife because he stopped focusing on his successful dealership to open a karate studio in revenge against a guy from HS. He would be the one down on his luck, and Johnny would be the successful one. That would be amusing.

jsmeeker likes this.
  14. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I can totally see Daniel unintentionally forsaking his marriage and business because of this feud. His wife wanted Johnny out of their lives as she saw how toxic Daniel was becoming and she forced Daniel to give Johnny a car (which they could probably easily afford) to buy Johnny off, atone for Daniel's stupid cousin setting Johnny's car on fire, and their Daughter's involvement in the wreck in episode 1. Not only is Johnny still in the picture to cause havoc, Daniel seems laser focused to one up Johnny and Cobra Kai and has taken in Johnny's son as his star pupil

That's why I really hope his daughter who seems is going to get back into karate training will go her own route or a route that isn't part of the feud. To try to smack some sense back into Miguel and show her friends at Cobra Kai you can and should have mercy. Daniel put an idea in her head that Miguel just by being a member of Cobra Kai was "evil" which is ridiculous. I think those poor kids have been the brunt of bullying for years and are still holding their anger about it. Now that they've shown that they can obliterate those who used to bully them their egos have inflated. They were never shown mercy, and their sensai echoes that by saying Cobra Kai shows no mercy. So that's all they know.

I really liked the role reversals throughout the season. Miguel starting off as pretty much a clone of Daniel in the beginning and badgering Johnny to be more empathetic to get more students only to have him become a total ****** in the season finale. Hawk being the quiet kid who people give crap to for having a messed up lip becoming a crazy wild man after being told if he didn't want to be that person anymore then don't be. And of course Johnny who I think recognized how he was becoming a positive force in these kids lives and thought maybe he could have his son live with him and maybe amend how he totally screwed things up. I liked the kid casting, they did a good job.

jsmeeker likes this.
  15. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    They need Ali back for season 2. She should move back to the area and be a divorced. Daniel gets divorced over all of this and Season 2 is a big fight over trying to get Ali back. :)

I will settle for a simple cameo though. :)

gweempose likes this.
  16. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    While I too would like to see Ali again, it seems her character not being in the show was intentional.

17. Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I don't think that is ridiculous at all. After all he was practically proven right by the end of the season as you pointed out when Miguel became a total ******.

18. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Active Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    That was a good. I'm looking forward to S2, which I assume is going to happen given all the positive buzz this one got. Even Variety, which pretty much slams everything, gave this one a good review.

Miguel did a gigantic heel turn in the last 2 episodes. His mother was right to be worried, but not because he'd get physically hurt. It's that he'd turn into Johnny 2.0. And somehow he got there even though Johnny wasn't the abusive sensei like Kreese, though the Cobra Kai mantra and mindset sure put him on that path.

19. Generic

Generic Now in Dolby Digital

Dec 26, 2005
    SoCal
  20. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Hell yeah