Coax Bypass

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by ChevyS10, Aug 27, 2007.

1. ChevyS10

ChevyS10 New Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Hello...

I just hooked up a Humax DRT400 and am having an issue with the coax bypass.

On my Humax T800 (non dvd) unit you can simply run the coax into the rf input and out the rf output to the tv and view the tivo on channel 3. When you put the tivo in standby, it simply allows you to watch the tv normally without the tivo.

On the DRT400, however, it seems like you cannot do this. I have an older tv that only has a coax input in the back with no other inputs. When you hook it up, you cannot see the tivo at all. I took the unit over to a newer tv and used the rca inputs and have verified that the tivo is working.

Is there a way to hook up the tivo to my older tv with just the coax cable? Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Thanks...

2. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    I don't have a Humax DRT400 (one's in the mail from an ebay auction), but if it acts like the Pioneers, the RF output on the back of the unit acts as a pass thru from your cable box. It does not output anything from the TiVo itself. You need to hook up the TiVo to the TV with RCA cables, either the Red/White/Yellow or Red/Green/Blue connections.

But you say you have an older TV with only an RF connector. You can do a couple things. 1. Buy a new TV. :) 2. Buy an RF modulator. This will convert the Red/White/Yellow cable to an RF signal that the TV can pickup. Radio Shack used to sell this type of item.

Good luck,
    robomeister

3. ChevyS10

ChevyS10 New Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Yeah...

My Pioneer was like that too... Until the hard drive crashed :( . It must be the DVD units that do not have this capability. I have a stand alone Tivo brand series 2 that will work with just the coax cables. I guess I need to switch the units around or buy a new tv.

4. robomeister

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    You mention that your Pioneer had a drive crash. What happened to it? Did you junk it or sell it or repair it? Fixing the hard drive is pretty easy and very cost effective.

Just curious,
    robomeister

5. robomeister

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    The DVD Burner TiVos don't have that channel switch on the back of the TiVo, which leads me to believe that it won't do the RF thing you want. I think they were expecting you to connect the DVD player to your TV with the component connectors (RGB) for the best quality picture, allowing for progressive scan output, too. And it will also let you watch TV while your TiVo is recording, by passing the signal through the TiVo and having your TV tuner do its job tuning. No splitter required.

6. ChevyS10

ChevyS10 New Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Using the coax only method also allows you to record and watch at one time since it is using the tivo tuner to record and bypassing the signal through the coax to the tv....no splitter required. The only difference is that with the older tv you don't have to hit the video button to change the signal source to rca instead of coax...you merely put the tv on channel 3 and turn the tivo on.

I actually have 3 days left on my Pioneer warranty...but since it is going to cost me $35 dollars to ship the unit to California to be fixed, I figured can spend a few dollars more and get a much bigger hard drive and an instacake disc. Unfortunately, I don't have lifetime on the unit, but I have the $6.95./month on it and I like having the option of basic if i decide not to pay month to month.

7. robomeister

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Ah, the Pioneer is awaiting a hard drive upgrade. Good. I was just checking to see that the Pioneer was not just sitting in a closet not getting any attention. :) I don't like to hear about TiVos that aren't being used to their full potential, especially Pioneers (my favorite kind of TiVo). But I do like to hear about TiVos getting larger hard drives. That's always a good thing. :D

robomeister

8. ChevyS10

ChevyS10 New Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Yup...Just need to find a hard drive deal....Looking at DB35 drives....

9. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    Just noticed on my new DRT400 that there isn't RF output. Never seen that on anything before, but since I previously read this thread, I immediately understood.

10. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    For some reason or another, any DVD playback device, sold primarily for the US market, (with the possible exception of DVd-VCRs), have no RF modulated output.

11. ChevyS10

ChevyS10 New Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Yeah..Its weird. My stand alone Tivo branded unit also will work with just the rf input/output. It has the little channel 3/4 switch in the back. Wonder if the dual tuner units are like that......

They probably think that if you are watchig a dvd you would want a higher quality output than just a coax.

Just looked at a picture of the back of a dual tuner unit...It has teh channel 3/4 switch located directly under the rf input/output.....

12. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It seems only the DVD units, and I'll add the HD units as well have no RF out.
    The non DVD Series 1,2 and DirecTV SD TiVos have RF modulator out.

I wonder if it is some movie studio thing why DVD players, TiVo only have only A/V out.