CNET TV Tech weekly Tivocast cancelled?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by sender_name, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Dec 1, 2009 #1 of 30
    sender_name

sender_name I remember XM 202!

Feb 11, 2005
    Northboro Ma
    It looks like this has been canceled as the most recent ep w/ their holiday wish lists concluded with host Molly Wood indicating that she hopes they can keep in touch and find a new venue for getting the show to people...and then thanked all the Tivo people for watching...

I guess it's done. I liked the 18min program...I always skipped the car reviews but most of the other stuff was really informative.

2. Dec 1, 2009 #2 of 30
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I switched a while back to the CNET All HD SHows (or whatever it's called); it seemed to have all or most of the weekly TiVoCast segments individually, plus a fair amount of other stuff. A lot of it I just delete unwatched, but it's nice to get it all in one Season Pass, plus it's all in HD.

(They might have an SD version too, now that I think of it. I'm not at home so I can't check...)

3. Dec 1, 2009 #3 of 30
    MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Yeah, it's over. Sad to see it go, I liked this weekly round up of stuff. Sure, I could get it in other ways, but this was easy and convenient. Molly Wood was a great host of the show.

4. Dec 1, 2009 #4 of 30
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I've never heard of it until now.
    And I listen to all the tech podcasts on my iPod (cnet, Leo, etc).
    Maybe others didn't know it existed either...or I am the oddball.

5. Dec 1, 2009 #5 of 30
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I was always happy when I saw a new episode in my Now Playing list. I was bummed when I watched one the other night and Molly Wood said it would be the second to last one. The last one still hasn't shown up in my NP list.

6. Dec 1, 2009 #6 of 30
    Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Dang, I also liked watching this. I missed Molly saying it was the end. Probably because I FF'd through the last segment which was a cell phone review (yet another :rolleyes: - I tended to ignore them), so I probably passed right over her.

7. Dec 1, 2009 #7 of 30
    ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    This has been quite common lately. A bunch of the podcasts that I subscribed either quite being offered (such as this one) or come on so rarely that the feature is decreasing the usefulness of the TiVo platform. The Best of Stand-Up Comedy used to be on regularly (although a lot of episodes had the end of the podcast cut off) but hasn't been on in months.

I stated in another post that the Roku had much better Internet content now than the TiVo does and somebody replied by how great these podcasts are. Well, if they keep disappearing or come on so rarely as to be barely useful, then I'll stand by my original comment.

8. Dec 1, 2009 #8 of 30
    dolphin

dolphin New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Even my wife, who can barely double click a mouse, liked the CNET show via Tivo. She especially liked Brian Tong's reviews. It took her quite a while to figure out why the car review guy kept focusing on the technology in the car. :)

9. Dec 1, 2009 #9 of 30
    sender_name

sender_name I remember XM 202!

Feb 11, 2005
    Northboro Ma
    I found the car reviews to be useless...every car was sold and rated on it's nav system...These are $80,000 cars and they're fussing over button size on a 10" lcd screen....

I never liked the car reviews...

and yes they did a LOT of cell phone stuff...

but at least it was honest.

10. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    That's because it was a tech site and the reviews were under the headings of "Car Tech." In the version they compiled for the TiVocast, it wasn't always clear that was the purpose of the reviews, but let's be honest, car manufacturers aren't providing test cars to a technology review website in order to get a legitimate review of the actual car.

11. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    Dang. Sorry to see it go. :(

12. Airkat

Airkat New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Notice he always starts off by saying "Let's check the tech?" It's a tech show that goes over how the technology in each car was. I enjoyed them.

Anyone know WHY they ended the show? I subscribe to the individual shows too, but the wrap up was great.

13. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    Man I loved that show. Only TiVoCast I really watch regularly.

14. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    Less Molly Wood is always a bad thing! I've been getting the Cnet HD feed for a while, so there's no content loss. Now if there was only a way to filter out Loaded. Less Natali Del Conte is always a good thing! At least it's easy to delete.

15. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Now I just wish they would increase the frame rate on the CNET HD downloads. It's great that they're in HD, but it's at the expense of being choppy.

16. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I loved the car reviews. I am not a "car guy" and it was nice to get a look at new cool cars and the tech in them (really the only aspect of cars I care about). Plus Brian Cooley is the best TV-ready reviewer they have.

17. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Agreed!

18. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Gee, I guess what they say is true... "No matter how hot a girl is, there's somebody out there who's tired of putting up with her s***." :)

19. Mytmouse

Mytmouse New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    ~ Ditto ~
    I just watched the last ep last night :( I loved to watch, to get to know all the new products and see what's good and what products not to waste my time with. I liked watching all the cast Molly, Tom, Brain C., Brain T, ect... you get the idea.

I did catch that Molly mentioned if you have a series 3 Tivo (which I do) you can subscribe to CNET. I've been searching around on how/what she was talking about, but it's not clear to me.... Can anyone hear help out ???

I just joined this forum to find out how to get back my very missed CNET TV weekly.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That's probably what I talked about in my earlier post, where you get all the individual segments plus other CNET stuff.