1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C'Mon Tivo! Picture in Picture

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by heifer624, Nov 19, 2015.

1. heifer624

heifer624 New Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Florida's...
    My Tivo has six tuners and I can only watch one at a time. C'Mon Tivo! give me some Picture in Picture so I can watch multiple ball games at the same time. PiP has only been around since the late 70's. C'Mon Tivo!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    pkb and Sparky1234 like this.
  2. Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    PiP? what is this the middle-ages?:D

Stream to a tablet instead?

3. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    That would be nice, but you can only stream things that are recording. So let's modify this request - make the tablet apps use the same feature the mini uses and allocate a tuner for it so I can surf on the tablet.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm actually shocked they haven't done that yet. Seems like a no brainer.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TiVo shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, PiP would be nice.

In the meantime, if your TV offers PiP, you could maybe get a Mini and install it at the same TV.

6. Bytez

Bytez Member

Sep 11, 2004
    NYC
    This would differentiate Tivo even more from the competition! This is really a no brainer. Wish I had asked the question when they had the Q&A last time.

7. Dec 4, 2016 #7 of 25
    ccoulson

ccoulson Member

May 24, 2003
    Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I would love to see PIP from my Tivo. I just used a Dish Hopper that has PIP built in- fantastic for watching multiple games at once and switching between the two. As others have said, this seems like a no-brainer. The Tivo units have multiple tuners and they already do a PIP-like functionality allowing you to continue to watch a show while accessing Tivo menus.

Has there been any word on this in the past year?

8. Dec 5, 2016 #8 of 25
    philco782

philco782 New Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Florida
    i would LOVE this!

9. Dec 5, 2016 #9 of 25
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Heck, with the 4K bolt and 4K TVs, I ought to be able to watch 4 1080i channels at once in the 4 corners of the screen :).

10. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Add my name to the list for PIP. It would be great when trying to keep up with concurrent sporting events.

11. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Active Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    I'd love to have this as well.

I wonder if showing what's on 2 tuners at the same time has posed some technical challenge. I don't see what that could be, since I can watch a recording on my iPhone app and people can stream to multiple minis at the same time the main unit is playing live tv or a recording.

But it's likely just low in priority for whatever reason.

12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I still don't get the appeal of PIP. Why try and watch two things as once when you can just record the second thing and watch it later?

13. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    The only use case I would have is to avoid NFL spoilers if two teams are playing at the same time. The scores at the bottom ruin things, and putting up a piece of cardboard is annoying and prone for forgetfulness.

If this was an easy feature for Tivo to add, they would have done it. So either its difficult or they are hardware constrained.

14. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Active Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    For me, watching 2+ live sporting events at the same time.

15. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Mostly because a lot of us don't treat sports like a scripted TV show or movie. They are meant to be watched live or near live. For me (and many others) watching a recorded sporting event is just blech.

16. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Here's a work-around: 2 TiVo's attached to a P-I-P TV. ;)

BRiT wtfdotcom likes this.
  17. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    That's why I have a mini setting in the same cabinet as my bolt.

davidblackledge likes this.
  18. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Clever--pick up a Mini on the cheap and use it for this purpose. ;)

I'm doing the same right now with a Series 2 TiVo, in the short-term: recently purchased a Roamio to replace/augment a Series 2 and saw the Series 2 just sitting there, and then got the idea to leave it attached to the TV along with the Roamio, allowing for P-I-P via the TV's P-I-P function (the tuner in the TV itself had fritzed out long ago, and so the TV is more a monitor at this point). Works great and is pretty cool, although, candidly, the only time I've used the P-I-P thus far was when I set the Roamio up, watching the setup go forward in the P-I-P box while still watching a show in the main frame.

davidblackledge likes this.
  19. davidblackledge

davidblackledge Registered l√úser

Sep 9, 2008
    NM
    I'm no TiVo Hardware guy, but I figure there are two ends for the signal: the end that handles the signal and can save it to disk, and the end that can render it to the screen (at whatever size - thus the PIP in menus is no big deal). So I figure TiVo has been building with a single "second" end since the beginning of time, and has just been adding more "first" ends for multiple recordings.

The other technique would be to generate a new video stream on the fly that contains both sources, but that would use up a lot of computing power or some expensive chip designed for that purpose.

They could always produce another device with multiple "second" end renderers, but that would likely add a lot to the price for no conceivable purpose except PIP which is a bit of a niche feature even in the TV industry.

And with the Mini + TV with PIP option, they have zero reason to produce it when they could just tell you to buy more of their existing products.

I too wonder what the technical issue is between a Mini watching a tuner and streaming requiring recording. Picture-on-Tablet (POT?) makes so much sense.

20. lifterguy

lifterguy New Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Dish Network's VIP 722 DVR has PIP, and it was first introduced 9 years ago. Do Direct TV boxes or cable company DVR's offer this? Could TiVo's reluctance be a patent issue? Or maybe they just don't want to add any more buttons to the remote?