Clueless!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by sjlogghe, Aug 27, 2008.

1. sjlogghe

sjlogghe New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    We have regular cable right now - and I have a Series 2 dual tuner 80 GB TiVo. We are going to be switching to Direct TV tomorrow - will I still be able to use my TiVo?? We are getting a Direct TV DVR receiver in our living room - however I have always had the TiVo in my bedroom, and want to keep it. I asked the Direct TV installation guy when he called to set up the installation appt., but either he had no clue or didn't know what I was asking.

Please help! I still want DVR privileges in my room!!! Also ... when I was peeling around on the TiVo website, I saw something mentioned briefly about only one tuner working with Direct TV, and not being able to record two shows at once. Is this true?? If so, are there any TiVo boxes that support recording 2 shows at once?? I'm pretty sure there are a few of my season pass shows that either overlap or are on at the same time. I'd hate to have to choose!!

Thanks for any help you are able to give!!

2. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Directv Tivo boxes can record two shows at once, They are only available in the used market. Make sure you get the RID or serial number before you buy and ask Directv if the device is free and clear for Transfer. If so it will cost you $20.00 for an access card and you will be good to go. Remember to only buy a series II model and not the R10 (slow and too many problems) Good Luck :)

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, you can use your Standalone TiVo with a DirecTV receiver. Yes you will get single tune, because Standalone Series 1/2 TiVos need to use a satellite box, and use only one. The Dual tuner on the Series 2 DT needs analog cable. There are no dual tuner Standalone models that support other than cable in dual tuner mode. For Dual tuner with satellite, you need their integrated DVR, which you can get a TiVo model aftermarket.