1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clothes going out of style while downloading shows

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by fburgerod, May 28, 2017.

1. fburgerod

fburgerod New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Why is it that a two plus hour long movie can be downloaded from Netflix in 9 minutes flat while the TiVo app on Android cannot download the same length in five hours? And that is IF it doesn't kick out one of its frequent error messages? I'm doing both of these in my home whilst sitting next to the router with high speed and strong signal. Come on TiVo!!!

eej71 likes this.
  2. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    If it is an unprotected program you can download it via something like pytivo onto a computer in about 10 minutes.

I always crack up when I think about TiVo imagining they can make a "cloud" DVR when they can't even do direct networking from a TiVo to a tablet on the same local network.

eej71 likes this.
  3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I just downloaded a 2 hour movie in medium format to my Android tablet in 51 minutes at home from the Stream in my Roamio Pro (should be the same "hardware") with an 802.11n (2.4GHz) WiFi connection. Final size was 2.44GB.

It's never going to be as fast as straight download/stream of a similar size show from Netflix as Netflix doesn't have to transcode on the fly but 5 hours and error messages is definitely not to be expected.

Scott

4. fburgerod

fburgerod New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Hi there, I would be happy enough with 2 hours if it didn't stop so often and need to be restarted. Medium quality. 2.4GHz. 802.11n WiFi. Maybe it's my Samsung S7 that is the weak link. :(

5. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    My Android tablet was a $69 RCA Walmart Black Friday special a few years back (Android 4.2.2) so I doubt that it's your Samsung S7. :)

It almost sounds like you are downloading on cellular versus WiFi. Can you turn off cellular on your phone and try it? Also, what happens when it stops - is the app crashing or something else?

Scott

6. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I did that download again and this time instead of checking it every so often I just left the tablet alone. It looks like the tablet went to sleep at some point so network connectivity was lost. When I woke it up, the download had gotten to 1.52GB and I had to sign in again but I was able to pause and unpause it and it picked up where it left off.

Scott

7. Jun 1, 2017 #7 of 14
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    One difference that increases the time is that the Tivo is transcoding the video to a format that's compatible with your device on the fly, while Netflix already has the video encoded in a format that your device supports. So that accounts for a large part of the time difference.

But it still shouldn't take that long. I usually get about 1/2 realtime when transferring from my TiVo. Although that's using the transcoder in a Roamio Pro. The Bolt might not be as fast since it uses the chip built into the Broadcom chipset to do the transcoding.

8. Jun 2, 2017 #8 of 14
    ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Interesting how these sort of threads continue while the OP never / still hasn't returned... :rolleyes:
    1. Because, with TiVo, you're starting out with a HUGE, mostly uncompressed file (as stated below) and encoding it 'on-the-fly '.
    2. What was the original size of the ".TIVO" file?
    @fburgerod,

Here's an 'experiment' you can try: ENCODE the file to a smaller format ahead of time with kmttg (ffmpeg or handbrake - pick an appropriate 'Encoding Profile' for your Target) and then d/l it; see how close to 9 minutes you can get...

9. Jun 4, 2017 #9 of 14
    fburgerod

fburgerod New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Was out of town for five days but back home now. Tried to download a 2 hour movie last night off WiFi. Went to bed and woke up to another error message 57: -1

Is that because my phone shuts off the screen after a few minutes of inactivity? It should continue the download regardless as no phones keep the screen on beyond a minute or two. Was on a pace for a one hour download before it failed.

10. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I doubt that its because the screen shuts off but as I reported with my tablet once it went to sleep the transfer stopped. I don't have an Android or Apple phone to test though. On my tablet, it didn't go to sleep fully when I was checking the transfer every so often but not sure what options might exist to turn that off altogether although I did not have it plugged in to power at the time.

Scott

11. fburgerod

fburgerod New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Today I downloaded two of three shows at medium quality over WiFi. 2 hour movie took 1:45. 30 minute show took a bit over 30 minutes. The third show failed with the same 57: -1 error code. I guess this is as good it gets. It's really the repeated failures that is most annoying. Oh well. Thanks for all your help everyone.

12. sushikitten

sushikitten 143 down, ??? to go! TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    DC-ish Suburbia
    I've never successfully downloaded anything from TiVo to an iDevice. It always times out and throws errors.

13. andy7121

andy7121 His master's voice

Aug 11, 2017
    I have installed the TIVO app for android on my Nexus 10 tablet. I downloaded a few movies. Found that basic quality was best; at medium quality, they would not download. (I did this in the same room as my router.)

Eventually, the movies did download in basic quality. And the available storage space on my tablet went down accordingly. However, later when I checked the list of movies on my tablet, the list was empty. No movies showed at all. But the available space on my tablet was still low, indicating that the movie files really were there. I used the file manager to try to find the movies, but I was not successful at this.

I tried to download one of the same movies again, and the app said I already had it on the tablet. Did I want to download it again? I elected to uninstall the app and start over.

After uninstalling the app, my available space on the tablet went up. The stored (and hidden) movies were deleted, along with the app. That was good.

I rebooted the tablet and installed the app again. I selected 4 movies to download. Only one of them actually made it to the tablet. Or so I thought, since the app displayed only one movie.

I downloaded yet another movie. Not only did that seem to work OK, but the other 3, missing movies also showed up in the list.

My app version is 3.2.3-1019896. In a few days, I will try to watch one of the movies. Will they still be there? I hope so.

Is there a way to refresh the list of movies available on the tablet? Does the IOS version of the app work better? (My wife has an I phone.) Will I feel confident, next time I fly, that I will be able to watch one of my movies on my tablet?

Margret Schmidt, are you listening?

14. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco