Closed Captions toggling

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by A J Ricaud, Jul 31, 2008.

1. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...

Advertisements

Forgive me for being dense, but I cant figure out how to toggle CC on and off. I can see the CC logo in the info or guide but I don't know how to get there or toggle it on/off.

2. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    There is no toggle for CC. The fastest way to get there is from the info screen and follow the menus. Sad but true... Been asking for a simple "toggle on/off" since the Series 3 came out. :eek:

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Info, down, down, down, down (or just down, down on a recording), select.

On 9.3, this brings up a menu, where you have a few more buttons to push (down, right, up, select).

On 9.4, it toggles directly.

Or, you can use my network remote (see sig), which does all that for you when you press the "CC" button. :)

4. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    9.4 has the quick toggle now... as mentioned between our posts.

5. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley

Advertisements

FWIW it appears that TiVo got tired of me and has added a CC Toggle to update 9.4!!!! Finally. I hope it works... :D :up::up::up:

Oops. cheerdude beat me to it. :D

6. AdmiralTivo

AdmiralTivo You talkin' to me?

Feb 25, 2005
    Tried the CC toggle yesterday morning. Works like a champ.

It's funny because I just recently tried to turn on CC the other way, and cursed at how buried it is in the menu structure. Now it's super easy.

7. BanditWS6

BanditWS6 Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Naples, FL
    I'm looking forward to the new CC toggle in 9.4. I couldn't believe how obtuse the interface was for toggling CCs on the TiVo HD, but it looks like the TiVo Gods have heard us! :) English is not my wife's native language so sometimes she likes to use the captions; this will make it easier for her.

8. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    wmcbrine: thanks for that. BTW, I have 9.4 and should have stated that in my orig. post.

9. Aug 4, 2008 #9 of 12
    jayfest

jayfest Not-so-New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    New Jersey
    I like this and it even works for already recorded programs. You never know when you might want that CC (I used it for Deadwood).

10. darksurtur

darksurtur Member

Jan 2, 2008
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this seemed like an appropriate place to ask - I am thinking of getting a Tivo HD, but closed captioning (and easy toggling of CC) is important to me.

I know this has been greatly improved in the latest round of software, but I was wondering if someone could tell me how many total button presses it now takes to toggle CC from either a recording or live TV and return back to where you were (6 now?). If there is no direct IR code for toggling and it exceeds the programming limit on my universal remote, it might be a deal breaker for me. Thanks!

11. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    You don't have to leave the show you're watching - just click Right once or twice to bring up the extended info screen, then Down a few times to the CC option, then Select. The show continues to play while you're doing this so you don't miss anything. Typically 4 clicks, and it only takes about 2 seconds.

Setting it up as a macro can be problematic, however, since the CC icon on the extended info screen is sometimes bumped down depending on what kind of audio track is available and whether or not the other tuner is active. Sometimes it's 2 clicks down, sometimes 3.

12. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Use Info, not Right -- one press every time (unless it's already up, in which case, it's zero).

In my experience, it's four during Live TV, and two when playing back a recording. But if you just set the macro to send four Downs, it will always work.