Closed Captioning-mostly about The Office

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by YCantAngieRead, May 8, 2011.

1. May 8, 2011 #1 of 38
    YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I have been watching a lot of CC TV now that we have a baby.

And I've noticed-CC on syndicated episodes of The Office are just absolutely terrible. There's no way you could watch that if you absolutely relied on them.

What's going on? Am I not on the right setting (CC1)?

Here's another one. I've been watching Little House On The Prairie reruns (What? Like you aren't a nerd-you're on a TiVo website :D) and one episode had entirely the wrong subtitles all together-a completely different episode.

How do people who rely on CC deal with junk like this? I know we have a few around here.

2. May 8, 2011 #2 of 38
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    What is your source? OTA, a Tivo, cable box, etc?

Sometimes the caption decoder is the problem, so to fix a CC problem, it helps to know where you get your captions from.

3. May 9, 2011 #3 of 38
    YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    Uh. Let's see.

It's usually via Tivo. But I've also noticed the same thing when I'm watching the TV that's just tethered to the cable (no box.)

4. May 9, 2011 #4 of 38
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Since I'm hard of hearing, we use CC on most everything except sports. The CCs on the Office are just fine, and I use the TiVo's CC1 setting...

5. May 9, 2011 #5 of 38
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    HBO's closed captioning is the worst. Game Of Thrones closed captions are unreadable. HBO, Comcast, CC1 and TiVo. That's my combination. Every other channel is fine.

6. May 9, 2011 #6 of 38
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Go into the TiVo caption settings, and make sure analog captions are on, and digital captions are off. Sometimes having both on, or using only digital, can cause weird conflicts, creating scrambled captions. I've found that using ONLY analog captions gives me the best captions.

Also, make sure your TV has all captions settings OFF. You only want the decoder (TiVo or cable box) doing the work, NOT the TV.

And lastly, sometimes certain shows or certain channels are just off. I get perfect captions for the most part, but one show on one channel had total garbage for captions (2.5 Men reruns on local 39-1 Houston). Yet everything else on that channel was fine. And new episodes of 2.5 Men (on CBS) were fine. Why that one show? Who knows.

If you have more problems on one channel than others, contact them. They may have a problem and not realize it. I was having problems with the local FOX affiliate a few years ago. Wrote the GM, who personally emailed back, put their engineer on it, and solved it within days. I was stunned!:up:

Keep us in the loop. I've spent a lot of time on captions over the years, and am happy to help if I can.

7. May 9, 2011 #7 of 38
    Tivortex

Tivortex Cherished Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Colorado
    I thought it was just me. HBO captioning IS the worst. Unusable really. I fooled around with the CC settings but it made no difference.

8. May 9, 2011 #8 of 38
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I use the CC decoder in my TV rather than the one in the TiVo (it's easier to turn on and off) and never had any problems with The Office. My biggest issue with most of NBC's captioning is that it's about a second early, so you end up reading the line before it's spoken, which basically ruins sitcoms.

9. May 9, 2011 #9 of 38
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    How? On the TiVo feed? Or are you feeding your TV with a split signal, both direct antenna and thru TiVo?

Because as I understand it, TiVo does NOT pass the CC signal thru to the TV.:confused:

ETA: I am referring to S3/HD. Not S2 or before. And I know nothing about Premiere units.

10. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Yes, on the TiVo feed, but both my TiVos are S2s.

11. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    The S2 did pass CC data on, I used the TV also for captions back in the stone ages. Still have that S2, wondering what good it is?

You don't watch HD?

12. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Don't have an HD set yet. Hoping to get one soon, but I've been hoping that for years. Part of the problem is that it's not just an upgrade of the TV. It would also require an upgrade of the TiVos, the surround sound receiver, and the entertainment center furniture.

13. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    I wasn't even aware there were CC settings in the Tivo. I'll give that a try and report back.

14. JustAllie

JustAllie Number crunchin'

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Only in Series 3 and higher TiVos.

15. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    Oh. Well, then, I don't. Hm.

16. JustAllie

JustAllie Number crunchin'

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    What I recall from my Series 2 days was that the TiVo sometimes seemed to garble the closed captions. I think maybe the signal was being degraded during the recording process, or maybe it was an issue in the cable connections between my cable box, TiVo, and television set. If you're seeing missing letters/words, that could be the issue.

I have a Series 3 now and I let the TiVo decode the captions instead of the TV itself. I haven't noticed the same problems I had back when I used my Series 2. Some shows have bad CC data (especially unscripted shows like The Daily Show), but I don't get the same issue with missing letters/words.

17. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I've used both my HR10-250 and the DirecTV HR series boxes and one thing I notice on The Tonight Show (and I don't believe I've seen it during any other shows) is that I'll get spurts of Spanish versus English captioning. Mid-conversation it will just go from English to a line or two of Spanish (complete with upside down question marks) and then back to English again. I could never figure out why since I'm not doing anything when that happens.

18. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I've seen that a few times. I used to get it with some regularity, but it's been a couple years since it's happened. It wasn't the tonight show, I don't watch that. Don't remember if it was a specific show, or several shows. Fortunately, it was just a sentence or two, so I could kinda figure out the gist of what was being said.

Luckily, I haven't seen that in a while.

19. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Leno's just messin' with ya.

:p

20. spear

spear Member

Oct 11, 2006
    I believe The Tonight Show (like other shows) uses (analog) CC2 for Spanish captions. If there's a bit of noise in the signal, it's easy for a decoder to mix up CC1 and CC2.

ETA: I should add that most shows do not have Spanish captions, which is why a little noise doesn't cause the same problem for most other shows.