Closed Caption survey: Do you use them?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by astrohip, Sep 14, 2007.

I use Closed Captions:

1. All (or almost all) the time

46 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. Whenever dialog is difficult to understand

84 vote(s)
    44.9%
  3. Never (or almost never)

57 vote(s)
    30.5%
  1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This survey is to get a general feel for how many of us use captions. I've noticed more & more caption talk over the last few months. A few years ago, it was a rare thread that mentioned captions in any way. Now it's fairly common. I don't know if this is because we're getting older and can't hear worth a d*mn, or whether mumbling has become a new art form.

Regardless of why, vote! And feel free to comment if you like . . .

2. brnscofrnld

brnscofrnld where is this place?

Mar 29, 2005
    NW. DC.
    I only ever turn them on when my Grandfather comes over to the house and we are watching something other then a sporting event.

3. JustAllie

JustAllie Number crunchin'

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Occasionally.

The most common times are when the show is, say, British (strong accents), when the characters speak too fast, or when I'm working out and the exercise machines are making too much noise.

4. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    My wife is hearing impaired. 'nuf sed'

5. jtlytle

jtlytle Un-Registered User

May 17, 2005
    Sacramento,...
    I'm deaf in both ears. :)

6. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    you forgot the category for "when the judge is annoying: like the middle woman judge on "So you think you can dance"

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I use them occasionally. My mother, who is not deaf or even hard of hearing, leaves them on all the time.

8. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Yep! I have it set to caption upon mute, so whenever I have trouble understanding something (not infrequent as I have some hearing problems) I press mute and then instant replay so I get the captions on the part I missed. Works great. :up:

9. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    One of my TVs is set to show captions when muted. I didn't do that on my newer TVs. Maybe I never figured out how.

10. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    On my TV there is a menu for audio options where you can set this.

11. Uncle Briggs

Uncle Briggs Go Blues

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern...
    Last season I used them on Lost and Battlestar

12. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    While I've watched subtitled anime and foreign films for decades, I tend to find Closed Caption highly annoying because of the 1980s style text on back background crap. Some of that is controllable on the Series3, especially on digital channels using Digital CC, but it just isn't up to par for me. And since I can hear just fine, I don't use them. I also tend to do other things while watching TV, like catching up online, so I'm more likely to be listening and NOT looking at the screen than I am to be looking and not listening.

13. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    +1 to what Ruth said.

14. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Right now my only TVs are actually monitors, so they don't have CC decoding capability (or remote controls, for that matter).

15. sakura panda

sakura panda Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Occasionally. If someone mumbles something that I think I want to know, or when the room is noisy, because I don't like turning up the TV sound to cover some other loud sound. :D

--Katie

16. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Good poll, Astro....I use CC on every show I watch EXCEPT sporting events (same as brnscofrnld). And I am, what I would consider (!), moderately hard of hearing.

17. retired_guy

retired_guy New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Saratoga,...
    I use them a lot. In fact, for about everything other than sporting events. Five years ago I rarely used closed captions. I recently had my hearing checked and found that I had light to moderate hearing loss, which my doctor said was typical for my age (72). He expects future generations will have even more hearing loss due to the proliferation of audio devices such as the iPod.

18. rhuntington3

rhuntington3 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2001
    Whenever dialog is difficult to understand.

19. smithken31100

smithken31100 Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Hockeytown
    My TV is not capable of showing closed captions so I never use them.

20. Murdock

Murdock New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    I'm currently learning Spanish. I watch alot of Spanish Programming with Spanish subtitles when available.