Closed caption issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by rothlike, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Apr 7, 2021 #1 of 11
    rothlike

rothlike New Member

Jul 31, 2005

Advertisements

I am deaf and rely on the closed captioning and have found that if I am watching a recording and pause it to look at "Info" or the recorded show list, the closed captions stop displaying, even though the setting is still on. I have to turn the CC setting off and then on again to get it to work again, sometimes have to repeat the process a couple of times. Anyone else?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

2. Apr 7, 2021 #2 of 11
    Gary Hicks

Gary Hicks New Member

Aug 29, 2017
    rothlike --

I have a TiVO Bolt. I don't routinely use Closed Captioning but I decided to enable it to see if I could reproduce the problem that you described on my TiVO.

Here was my test:
    1. Used "Settings" to enable Closed Captioning.
    2. Chose a recording of "Meet the Press" and started it playing.
    3. Verified that captioning WAS displayed.
    4. Pressed the "Pause" button. The show paused
    5. Pressed the "Info" button. The Info screen was displayed.
    6. Pressed the "Info" button. The Info screen disappeared.
    7. Pressed the "Play" button. The show started playing again and the captions WERE displayed.
    Is this sequence the same as what you observed?

I did notice one thing. At Step 5 (above), the bottom of the screen said "Press "OK/Select" to turn off Closed Captioning". I repeated my test, but at Step 6, instead of pressing the "Info" button again, I pressed "OK". When I did this, the show started playing again but closed captions WERE NOT displayed. Is it possible that this is what you are running into?

Please feel free to contact me directly if you want me to do any further testing. I don't have any direct involvement with TiVO Corporation so there isn't anything that I can do to help make any changes. I just thought that it's sometimes helpful to have someone else verify a problem just to make sure that you aren't missing a step or seeing a ghost!

Good luck!

Gary Hicks

3. Apr 7, 2021 #3 of 11
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Definitely should not be the case. Try rebooting the Bolt.

4. Apr 7, 2021 #4 of 11
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    No one else has ever reported anything like this. I watch with CC 100% of the time (also deaf), and have probably hit every combination of buttons one can press over twenty years. They have never turned themselves off. Either you have a defective unit of some sort, or there is a button/combo set we're not aware of.

Without being too pedantic about it, yet wanting to fix this, could you detail every button press next time this happens?

Good luck!

5. Apr 7, 2021 #5 of 11
    NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al

Advertisements

i use captions for most every pre-captioned show (the live caption delay bugs me to no end!), @astrohip, i've actually witnessed this behavior a handful of times on my pxl over the past 11 years - i've never understood what caused it or why it happens, but the fix is exactly like the op describes, and then it's ok (i currently use digital captions due to past troubles with analog) - maybe try switching the captions from analog to digital, or digital to analog?

6. Apr 7, 2021 #6 of 11
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    That's interesting. This is the first I've heard of this type of bug, and I tend to read every thread on captions. One quick thought: Make sure "B" isn't being pressed somehow. That's the CC toggle.

I remember back when captions were a big problem, often scrambled and whatnot, especially after the advent of digital captions. There is one thing in particular you can do to make sure captions are as trouble-free as possible. First, turn ON digital captions. Then turn OFF analog captions. Having them both on can create conflicts within the caption generator.

7. Apr 7, 2021 #7 of 11
    NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    the "b" button shortcut has never worked on my pxl, let me try it again...nope, still nada. ;)

eta: oh, and i've only run analog or digital, never both at once.

8. Apr 7, 2021 #8 of 11
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    One thought that just occurred to me... @rothlike might be on TE4, and that could have bugs I'm not aware of, and aren't able to play with. I'm 100% old school.

9. Apr 7, 2021 #9 of 11
    NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    same here.

astrohip likes this.
  10. rothlike

rothlike New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    I do believe that I am on the TE4 version as I have never declined software updates...

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

11. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    TE4 does not come as software update (and btw, there is no way to decline a software update short of removing internet connectivity). It either comes with the box when you purchase it or you have to take positive steps to "upgrade" from TE3.

Did you try rebooting your box?