Clock display brightness

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by laria, Jul 17, 2007.

1. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH

Advertisements

Recently, one of our S3's clock display got very dim and only brightened up when buttons were pressed. I came here searching to see if it was a known problem, but found out that apparantly it was supposed to be doing that all along!

The other S3 is still bright though all the time (they both used to stay a constant brightness), and I'm worried that it's going to burn out after reading why the LEDs are supposed to be dimming. I noticed that the one that is dimming now, the lower right corner of the numbers is dimmer than the rest... I don't know if it's due to being bright all the time or what.

Is the clock *not* dimming a known problem? Any way I can fix it short of just setting it to be dim all the time?

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    IIRC, there are a few brightness levels in the prefs..

So maybe you have a higher brightness level set *but it still is going very bright* when you hit the info button, then dimmer to the level that is still brighter than your other ones.

<Gallagher>
    My TV has a brightness knob, but it don't work.
    </Gallagher>

3. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    It's possible, but if it is brightening and dimming it is not detectable to my eye. Both the TiVos have always been set on the "Regular" brightness setting. The one that's now dimming brightens back up to this "Regular" setting when we hit buttons then dims again, but the other one just stays at that level constantly. I guess we'll need to set it to "Dim" or something so that it doesn't burn out.

4. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Blah, I take that back.

Under closer examination, the other one does dim... the one that seemed to be dimming now when it wasn't before is actually dying. :(

5. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN

Advertisements

Meh....I rarely look at the display anyhow. They made it so small, it's virtually useless for me from 13 feet away. No great loss...