Clever Little Gizmo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by PaulWilkinsUK, Aug 10, 2007.

1. PaulWilkinsUK

PaulWilkinsUK Ohhh Yeah !

Mar 20, 2006
    Gloucestersh...
    I dunno if this is off topic or not...
    (I'm sure the "Moderators" will quickly despatch it to where it should belong)

I thought I'd let you all know that I watched my TiVo from my hotel room in Belgium last week. The SlingBox gizmo I bought a little while back worked a treat, didn't need to remember IP addresses or anything, it just worked! Pretty good picture, good sound (ok, it was in a small window on my laptop). None the less a damn good useful thing to have when you only get the choice of BBC1, BBC2 and a load of other stuff in French, German and Dutch.

2. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Slingbox is so 2005!
    In the past the stream was unencrypted and could be viewed with third party software. There is a story about how Sling screwed its customer base and a software company that developed a tool to use with it.

Have you noticed that if you reboot the Tivo while watching it with the slingviewer the picture sometimes comes back out of center?
    edit: (still using the original slingbox with my SVR-2000)

3. PaulWilkinsUK

Mar 20, 2006
    Gloucestersh...
    And is there a modern alternative ? If so, perhaps I should get one of those...

4. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    None that I have seen unfortunately. I tried really hard to find a way to downgrade the firmware but no one would help. There are new models of slingbox that are for specific needs (from very low end reduced price to ultra high end with many inputs). I see no difference in performance between the original unit and the new ones though so no need to upgrade (especially since they all use the same client).

It bugs me that you cannot create your own remote control skin. The default Tivo "peanut" remote looks nothing like my Sony remote. The layout is completely different and some of the buttons do not even have the same label.

I have a suggestion for you - enable authentication on TWP and Telnet and put them on some random ports and forward it through your router. Combine those two with the slingbox and you have complete control of the Tivo remotely! I do this and have often been installing hacks (also forwarded FTP) from a hotspot at a tea shop.

5. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    I had the slingbox and the sony equivalent.

Can't even recall now where I put them :)

Also if I recall thumbs down key on the virtual remote never worked making a retstart of tivo tricky.

Automan.

6. PaulWilkinsUK

Mar 20, 2006
    Gloucestersh...
    Ooooh How saucy !
    I did have TiVoWeb running too... until my IP address changed (thanks BT!) first time in months !

7. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I wrote a script that automatically updates a DynDNS account that could help with that. Look on the other forum in series 1 development.

8. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Slingbox is now down to £99 at pc world ....

9. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Still learning

Oct 5, 2002
    Reading,...
    And at Dixons and Tesco Direct but at Amazon £95, including free delivery.

And from John Lewis for £90.45 (with 50p biro to get free delivery and a first time order £10 discount code) plus possible Quidco so could end up as little as £85.43 (can't claim credit for this is on HDUK). Just ordered one we shall see.

10. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Mikerr and Fred smith: If you are talking about the new model then the 99$ one only has rf input

11. Rob Nespor Bellis

Rob Nespor Bellis Grumpy Sod

Feb 17, 2001
    ~, Brighton, UK
    Erm, if you haven't worked it out this is the UK forum, we are in the UK discussing Slingbox in the UK. There is only one model of Slingbox available in the UK and that is the original one. Oh, by the way we use £ GBP Great British Pounds here not the US Dollar.

Rgds,

R.

12. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I forgot there was a forcefield around the UK which prevented electronics from other regions to function. Sorry for the mistake.

13. Pugwash

Pugwash New Member

May 23, 2003
    Spalding'ish
    It's a SCART force-field of course, and we run on 240v 50Hz electric trickery. That keeps most of your foreign malarky away.

14. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    [​IMG]
    +
    The AC adapter takes voltage from 100-240

15. martink0646

martink0646 New Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Wisbech
    Giving only composite output as opposed to the glorious RGB we are used to. :)

16. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    The UK Tivo is outputting RGB? I'm definitely jealous if thats the case! Best we got was SVideo.

17. martink0646

martink0646 New Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Wisbech
    Thats the benefit of the almighty SCART & PAL as opposed to N(ever)T(he)S(ame)C(olour Twice) :)

18. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    What about SECAM

Is that better or worse than NTSC or PAL?

19. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    SECAM and PAL are pretty closely related.

20. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Secam L seems to be used in France and Secam K elsewhere in former French Norh African territories from what I can recall. If you try to tune a PAL tuner to a SECAM signal all you get are some waivy colour lines.