clear tivo, but KEEP season pass ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gordonisnz, Aug 29, 2011.

1. gordonisnz

gordonisnz New Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Hello. I've got Tivo (SERIES 3) within the last year & i LOVE it :)

I've been reading up on the various options on clearing data / old information, & from what i have read, all the 'clear' / 'delete' options also erase your Season pass information.

Is/are there any combinations I can do, to delete / erase most things but KEEP the season pass ?

- delete 'suggestions'.

- delete 'recording history' (I hate the way you remove a season pass & it still appears in the 'recording history' for several weeks after..)

- delete (& rebuild) my to-do list based on the non-deleted season passes.

Thank you.

PS - i have over 50 SEASON PASSES - Is that too many ?

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    50 is not too many.

I don't understand why you would want to do this?

3. gordonisnz

gordonisnz New Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Dont understand what ?

from what Ive read - season passes also get deleted / erased.

I dont want to manually add all 50+ season passes as well as other things...
    (unless I read incorrectly)

anyway, i'm off to bed...

- Basically, I want to delete everything EXCEPT season passes.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Check this out, maybe the online Season Pass Manager is your solution.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8678889#post8678889

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I thought he was quite clear
    Don't understand why you want to (think you need to) be clearing the information.

6. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    The OP was clear. He wants to erase the recording history information but keep his active SPs.

Sounds like a privacy issue.

Not an issue for me but I don't judge people who think differently.

7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    To be ultra clear, I understand why the OP would want to keep the SPs when clearing data, but was unclear why they wanted to clear the data in the first place.

It is not operationally needed by the TiVo, does not speed up operation, or change the impact on the hard disk. Privacy, I get. Don't want the SO/kids to see what sensitive items have been recorded, got it.

But, i have seen questions from posters about defragging or turning off the tivo, and thus was looking to better understand where the OP was going with this.

8. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Go to "Messages & Settings" -> "Restart or Reset System" -> "Clear Thumb Ratings & Suggestions"

I am not sure if "Clear Program information & To Do List" will delete your season passes or just the ToDo. Anyone?

To remove your recordings in "Now Playing List" With folder on (press '2' to toggle folders) Then use the clear button on each folder. Unfortunately I think you need to press "Clear" on each recording in the deleted folder to permanently delete them.

9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Nobody is saying that the OP wasn't clear about what they want to do. The question is why and even you are clearly guessing about that.
    ...and for the record, I'm not the one seeking that information.

10. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    My bad. You understood the question. I'm more then guessing. Can you think of a valid reason, other then privacy, for wanting to clear your recording history. We either assume the OP doesn't understand how tivo works, new member that's a possibility, or the reason is privacy.

Tivo doesn't require things like defrag. At one time, with older models, deleting thumbs ratings did speed up tivo. Tivo doesn't require clearing of any settings. Tivo automatically takes care of "housekeeping" as needed.

AFAIK the only reason to do what the OP is asking about is for privacy. Using the online SP manager is the best (only?) way to do what he wants. Clearing the program information and to do list should more then do what he wants. Then use the online SP manager to restore your SPs. Your tivo might be slow for a day or so.

A couple of dummy SPs or autorecord wishlists for shows which air a lot should let your recording history entries scroll off. Set up a Law and Order SP and you should be able to clear your history in a couple of days.

Removing a SP will automatically remove the corresponding shows from your To Do List.