Clear Thumbs and Suggestions Didn't Work On 20.4.6 (Kind Of)

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by deepthinker, Feb 3, 2015.

1. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX

Advertisements

I did a Clear Thumb Ratings and Suggestions earlier on my Roamio Plus. It did clear the thumbs, but all of the recorded suggestions were still in the folder in My Shows after reboot. So for the heck of it I tried it a second time and they were still there. Had to manually delete them. I have noticed after doing a restart on my other Roamio that restarts are super fast these days compared to pre-20.4.6. Also the usual this could take up to an hour didn't apply at all when I tried to reset thumbs/suggestions. I could swear it didn't take more than 10 minutes tops both times. Wonder if something about the startup routing with 20.4.6 is radically different. Either way for me at least it seems like clearing suggestions doesn't delete the recordings like it used to do.

Anyone else experienced this yet? Going to try it for the heck of it on my 2nd Roamio Plus to see if it was a one off, if I can pry the wife away from it long enough.

Wouldn't have anything to do with that unit being a host for a Mini would it? Don't see why. I've also wondered if you do a clear of suggestions/thumbs from the Mini is it actually doing it on the current host? They surely don't have separate thumbs databases of some kind since the Mini really is just a slave right? That being said I know that doing a CDE doesn't do a complete reset of the host and only makes you have to set up the Mini again, so you can see why I'd ask about suggestions/thumbs clear behavior.

2. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Is it supposed to delete already recorded Suggestions? I thought it just cleared out any future Suggestions. It's been a long time since I had Suggestions turned on.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    What does is really matter? They will age and delete on their own anyhow, plus this is a pretty rare activity.

4. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Just found it interesting and yes it is supposed to delete all suggestions in the folder. The dialog text before you confirm the reset of thumbs/suggestions explicitly tells you the folder will be empty.

5. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX

Advertisements

Definitely a bug in 20.4.6. I tried a Clear Thumb Ratings & Suggestions last night before going to bed on my 2nd Roamio Plus unit running 20.4.6 and it exhibited the same behavior as the first one. It did delete all Thumb Ratings, but left all recorded suggestions on the drive and in the Suggestions folder of My Shows. I would have to manually delete all 552 if I wanted to get rid of them.

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Did it work differently before? What you describe was, I thought, the expected behavior.

7. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Yes, all recorded Suggestions should be deleted when you do a "Clear Thumb Ratings and Suggestions. Below is the exact text on the screen where you have to confirm the clear with THUMBS DOWN three times.

"Warning: You are about to clear all Thumb ratings. This could take up to an hour, and the TiVo box will automatically restart.

When done, the TiVo Suggestions list will be empty, and suggestions will not be recorded until you give THUMB UP and THUMB DOWN ratings to shows again."

Interestingly when I've done this in the past it has, as the screen states, sat there for almost an hour or so clearing that stuff up. But all 4 times I did this on the two boxes in the past 24 hours the TiVo was back up and watchable within 10 minutes tops. So something happened where it isn't deleting the recorded suggestions along with the THUMB ratings. I haven't done this klnd of clear in quite awhile so I honestly don't know if this bug just surfaced with 20.4.6 or has been an issue for a few releases now.

8. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Isn't the TiVo list of suggestions the list of suggestions that will be recorded?

I don't read that as deleting already recorded suggestions.

9. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Right, it says "list," not "folder"